Author Topic: Questions for Mastercoin / Ethereum / BitShares Panel  (Read 7411 times)

Offline bytemaster

Will a video/summary of the panel be released?

We just got back but will be posting clips soon.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline vikram

Will a video/summary of the panel be released?

Offline weiry

• View Profile
I'm interested in answers to the following questions in terms a laymen could understand:

In terms of platform capabilities, what differentiates your platform from your competitors?

Conservatively, when do you anticipate having a fully functional GUI interface available for your product that actually integrates the platforms functionality and is not just a bitcoin-qt clone?

What differentiates your development team from your competitors.

How many man-hours are currently going into your platforms development?

How does your platform empower the other 6 billion?

Adam, any idea when the panel will be available for our listening pleasure?

A week after it is recorded, Saturday the 1st

Awesome. Thanks so much for the work you do.

Your welcome.  As a listener, what do you think of my intention to launch a custom alt-coin with which to power the network?  I haven't really vetted this with any listeners yet.

Interesting. The first thing that comes to mind is concern around how to ensure it doesn't become just another alt coin with little differentiation from the herd.

Ideally I think it would incorporate DAC concepts such as allowing programming to gain funding by easily launching an asset that could be traded against the base currency.

But even if it just took an angelshares/mastercoin like approach to fundraising for the network I'd be interested in participating to support LTB programming.

I'll sleep on it and bring back more thoughts on the morrow.

Adam, I've been thinking about the custom alt-coin idea and posted this on the Alternative DAC discussion board.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=2619.0

This might be a much bigger undertaking than what you were considering. Nevertheless, I'm interested in what you think. 

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Any chances to get a live audio/video stream? Or at least a source that has some video/audio of panels and interviews ready this weekend?
Adam maybe?

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
I think our marketing will begin to shape the narrative in a way that our competitors will have a hard time escaping from.

Ethereum narrative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5FDvzj8YX4
Ethereum update: http://www.ursium.com/ethereum-white-paper-updated/

"In the medium term, I personally am more worried about the possibility that Ethereum's disk and computational load will be too high; I think that is the more pressing question that we at the Ethereum team are more focused on." - Vitalik Buterin

I'm thinking more and more that it really is a complementary technology. Even if it is highly successful, Invictus will have plenty of DACs to develop that are impossible on one chain..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:40:47 am by CLains »

Offline weiry

• View Profile
I'm interested in answers to the following questions in terms a laymen could understand:

In terms of platform capabilities, what differentiates your platform from your competitors?

Conservatively, when do you anticipate having a fully functional GUI interface available for your product that actually integrates the platforms functionality and is not just a bitcoin-qt clone?

Your welcome.  As a listener, what do you think of my intention to launch a custom alt-coin with which to power the network?  I haven't really vetted this with any listeners yet.

Interesting. The first thing that comes to mind is concern around how to ensure it doesn't become just another alt coin with little differentiation from the herd.

Ideally I think it would incorporate DAC concepts such as allowing programming to gain funding by easily launching an asset that could be traded against the base currency.

But even if it just took an angelshares/mastercoin like approach to fundraising for the network I'd be interested in participating to support LTB programming.

I'll sleep on it and bring back more thoughts on the morrow.

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!

Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline weiry

• View Profile

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1
Friday night I get to ask the Mastercoin / Ethereum guys some questions about their metalayers and I would like to know what you all think is the most compelling argument  for or against their solutions.  What questions can I ask them that will 'stump' them?   What do you think the Let's Talk Bitcoin audience would like me to challenge them on?
I think the only thing can  'stump' them is  launching BTS , 
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

Offline weiry

• View Profile

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
NXT are also presenting a speaker

NXT was invited but they don't have a development team that is comfortable appearing at trade shows on their behalf.  They have one community member going to the conference but he isn't comfortable with the depth we're going into tomorrow.

Offline jae208

• View Profile
Friday night I get to ask the Mastercoin / Ethereum guys some questions about their metalayers and I would like to know what you all think is the most compelling argument  for or against their solutions.  What questions can I ask them that will 'stump' them?   What do you think the Let's Talk Bitcoin audience would like me to challenge them on?

Ask the Mastercoin group why they chose to create Mastercoin on top of Bitcoin and talk about how Bitcoin has risk of centralized mining because of the ASIC miners. Why didn't they build Mastercoin on something a little bit better like Litecoin? Also, where is JR Willet? Why is progress with Mastercoin so slow?

I like Ethereum's idea for decentralized data storage and how people can earn money by renting out their hard drives. However, based on the whole premine and the fact that they want to get paid in advance for work they haven't done I would argue that while they have good ideas they aren't committed and thus may not succeed.
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline jae208

• View Profile
Definitely the founder premine is a major concern that should be addressed. The group is doing a fundraiser and after that they are taking a significant premine of ether as well for themselves. Along with the premine strictly for the founders, they are taking another cut of ether to pay for a "long-term reserve pool to pay expenses, salaries and rewards". What confuses me the most is, shouldn't the initial fundraiser be ample to pay for the expenses, salaries, and rewards?? This is a ridiculous amount of privilege for these "founders", my two most major concerns with the issuance is that 1.) The fundraiser alone should be enough to pay for the rewards/network/salaries and 2.)If they really believed in their project then they would be well compensated alone by being the "early adopters" of the currency. The idea of how much privilege is being issued is really one of their most significant downfalls.

+1

I understand the profit motive and understand that people need to make money for living expenses etc. However, when these "founders" want to be paid in advance for work yet to be done it creates greater skepticism in peoples minds. As a result there isn't as much enthusiasm and the project is doomed. AKA Invictus Innovations wins because of peoples perception of them. (more fair, open, transparent, with no premine of Protoshares.)
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline bytemaster

Nice.  I look forward to talking with them. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.