Poll

If I (KillerByte) become CNO, how should I release the pool software I develop?

Opensource it and allow for collaboration
License it for 0.05 BTC

Author Topic: Open Source or Licensed Pool Software  (Read 4186 times)

Offline KillerByte

• View Profile
Now to think of it, I think we all could lend a helping hand to create a pool becuase it will make MMC stand out from the crowd.

I'd still want extasie's original pool code because that seemed to work for a while before everyone left -

Now you are talking :)

Exactly what I was hoping have happen.

Offline Delinquency

• View Profile
Now to think of it, I think we all could lend a helping hand to create a pool becuase it will make MMC stand out from the crowd.

I'd still want extasie's original pool code because that seemed to work for a while before everyone left -

Offline itsik78

• View Profile
yeah, I have seen enough votes.

Here is what I can do immediately upon CNO election:

* I can IMMEDIATELY opensource the original XRamPool source code. It has lots of problems (no orphan block detection, crashing, double payments occasionally), but I am sure with collaborative development, the community could help me patch it up. There is no getwork support, however, so I (or someone else) would have to port the YAM miner to it... supporting the getwork protocol in my code for that pool would be difficult.

Down the road however (should not take me too much longer than a month, but it will be worth it),

* I am already in production of a newer, more efficient server in a different programming language. This, too, will be opensourced, and it will support Getwork and any other protocols needed. It would be the code used for the distributed pool system.

Thoughts?
2 thumbs up :)
Sounds like a great plan and a great service

Offline KillerByte

• View Profile
yeah, I have seen enough votes.

Here is what I can do immediately upon CNO election:

* I can IMMEDIATELY opensource the original XRamPool source code. It has lots of problems (no orphan block detection, crashing, double payments occasionally), but I am sure with collaborative development, the community could help me patch it up. There is no getwork support, however, so I (or someone else) would have to port the YAM miner to it... supporting the getwork protocol in my code for that pool would be difficult.

Down the road however (should not take me too much longer than a month, but it will be worth it),

* I am already in production of a newer, more efficient server in a different programming language. This, too, will be opensourced, and it will support Getwork and any other protocols needed. It would be the code used for the distributed pool system.

Thoughts?

Offline itsik78

• View Profile
Officer should make a bounty for open sourcing a pool and an efficient miner, right now.
Vote for KillerByte and we'll probably have an open sourced pool (by the looks of this poll).

People, vote for this skilled guy to get MMC "to the moon" :)
We're going to do amazing stuff with KillerByte as CNO.
What other coin has an open sourced pool code?
These are the kind of things that could really bump awareness of MMC and with it - bump the value and demand for the coin.

Please vote for MVTEcnogH2ArcvpkYJ66GcErb1iwHhLPN1 as your 1st preference through the wallet's voting option.

Thanks!

Offline SlyWax

• View Profile
Officer should make a bounty for open sourcing a pool and an efficient miner, right now.

Offline Delinquency

• View Profile

emre

if satoshi had thought to close the bitcoin source, there will not be a mmc in the first place. oss brings development and since we're a DAC that supports development I think, all of our tools should be open source.

51% attack is probably easier to commence with manipulated code

if we had a open source pool from the start, current pool hashrate distribution will be so much different.  so, %51 attack could be never on the table. http://s4l1h.github.io/mmc/

More pool failures/DDoS and copy paste scripters who cannot run a pool

c/p scripters cannot run a pool is not problem.  people switching so fast on failures already, eventually natural selection on these buggy pools will wipe them out. and ddos is a problem that you cannot stop most of the time. (if you don't want to pay millions into server hardware.)
More Orphans on the network

so let's continue on 1gh then. %100 hashrate, no orphans!

Pools should be left to the respected groups

No, they should not. what makes you better than any other user in this forum?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 12:25:01 am by emre »

Offline Delinquency

• View Profile
Don't open source it.
I'm afraid you need to keep the pool software on a tight lease.
  • 51% attack is probably easier to commence with manipulated code
  • More pool failures/DDoS and copy paste scripters who cannot run a pool
  • More Orphans on the network
  • Pools should be left to the respected groups
  • A powerful pool may be closed to the public

I will pay 0.1BTC (>~$100) MONTHLY for a license to host a pool. (Give or take the varying profits from a 0%-5% fee)
If you can code a feature for options to donate to charity, then I'd set my pool to 10%-20% charity.

I would promote a 2% fee or donations to help keep the pool running.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:48:04 pm by Delinquency »

Offline MaxPWR

• Sink 2UR Source
    • View Profile
    • Max's Power Plant
We're a charity coin. Everything we do needs to start as "open-source" -  code, guides and faqs, business models, etc - to be as "public service" and "educational" as possible.

I say open source it, but focus on contributor traceability and donation methods through MMC.  We need to

Add some donation options like the current MVTEcha addresses to the standard pool, or donation options like Ubuntu has when you download it.  Make it work with other alts on the front-end for the user, but make it base-MMC for back-end pool operator / developer contributions. 

Could lead to MMC branding and potential use as a reserve-crypto for other alt-pools.

Use MMC wallets and voting as version control / configuration / license management / etc.  For example, assign a wallet ID to the main project for votes / donations.  Have that be an option for pool user donations - even of other coins.  Have that support ongoing development by MMC members.  Define roles and use MMC to vote / elect / appoint officers for the project in the blockchain :)
You can't stop the signal, Mal. Everything goes somewhere, and I go everywhere.

PWR UP: MAXVTEoYhDfWJjvkNm2ZmUhHpYbsPYuybg

Offline KillerByte

• View Profile
ok, interesting start. I remember at least 2 people were adamently against opensourcing... Delinquency was one of them.

EDIT: yes, I messed up my thoughts :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:30:05 pm by KillerByte »

Offline seraphim

Delinquenicy: please share your reasons for not wanting it open source here! At the moment I agree with FreeTrade, but I'll hold my vote until I know your reasons.
Meet you on STEEM

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
I favour open-sourcing it. It can then be adapted for use for other alts - the more open source stuff that comes out of MemoryCoin efforts, the more we'll be taken seriously by the wider altcoin community.

“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline KillerByte

• View Profile
Hey all,

I am running for CNO (https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=2792.0), and I am planning on setting up some sort of distributed system to spread the wealth and allow Memorycoin to become a less central currency.

The big debate is this: Should the pool software be Opensource or Licensed.

Please provide your input here and use this thread for such discussions. Also dont forget to vote (Send 0.00000001 MMC to MVTEcnogH2ArcvpkYJ66GcErb1iwHhLPN1) so that this plan can come to life.