Author Topic: Marketing Bounties to Spread Awareness  (Read 5386 times)

Offline bytemaster

When I get animated and start pitching the idea of insuring poor villages in the Developing World by having the villagers take the long side of a bet that they will suffer disaster, and having gamblers worldwide bet that they won't, people back away slowly and avoid making eye contact with me.

LOL
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
I think the reason most people don't fundamentally understand what Invictus and Ethereum are striving towards is because people don't have the foundational knowledge necessary to even begin understanding.

For instance, people don't grasp/understand or want to accept the the world of money is like a religion and as long as people have 'faith' in something it is accepted as true. Regardless of whether it is rational or not.

If there is a lack of understanding of how traditional banking and monetary institutions work than it makes understanding the significance of your work a little harder to understand. However, people do have a gut feeling that the system is inefficient and that your work holds great promise.

I've been teaching Economics and Finance for the past decade. When I explain  to my students how the Fed creates new USD, the looks of incredulity that I see indicate that this is the first time that anyone has explained it to them.

I have a little box that looks like a treasure chest with poker chips, Dr. Seuss figures, and Monopoly money in it that I use to explain Bitcoin to people. The idea that some D&D geeks breathed value into ephemeral tokens is more than many can accept. To many more, the idea that anything that trades as an asset, including exotic combinations of assets, can be traded as a similarly ephemeral BitAsset is crazy-talk.

When I get animated and start pitching the idea of insuring poor villages in the Developing World by having the villagers take the long side of a bet that they will suffer disaster, and having gamblers worldwide bet that they won't, people back away slowly and avoid making eye contact with me.

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
Not realizing that this topic had be started three days prior, I posted this: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=2887.0 about coffee.

If the quantity of BitStuff were a small fraction of the amount of ActualStuff in the world, then BitStuff could appear to be backed by inventory in the possession of low-cost producers.

The price that one observes is the value of the most recent transaction that splits the market between bears (pessimists) and bulls (optimists). Among suppliers in a competitive market will be those at the one extreme whose production costs are greater than the prevailing price, who are priced out of the market, and those at the other extreme whose production costs are less than the prevailing price, who are making tidy profits.

If, for example, a low-cost supplier of ActualStuff sold to a local monopsony (one-buyer) market, as is the case in much of the Developing World, then that supplier might be able to deal directly with holders of BitStuff. Although there were no contractual obligation to back BitStuff with ActualStuff, it might feel to a casual observer as if it were.

Offline yellowecho

This is exactly what I would suspect would happen.  Imagine gas stations that priced their Gas as 1.0x times the value of 1 BitGallonOfGas.    Gas stations would thus be competing on the premium for facilitating delivery rather than hiding it all in the gas price itself.   
+5%
The DAC concept and pricing mechanism is so simple, flexible, and beautiful... it could change the way the world views consumption and the role of capitalism.  Since BitPetrol would be the same of all gas stations, customers would actually be paying a premium based on the services and user experience of the facility.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline bytemaster

Of course there would be bullion sellers offering to give you one gramm of gold for an amount of BitGold worth one gramm of gold (less a margin) - but this seems trivial, a bit like this: http://www.nofiatcoin.com

That's what I was thinking.. a bullion seller could offer 1oz worth of physical for 1oz worth of BitGold.  It may not be so trivial because sellers could charge a premium for physical and earn money on the premium.  This actually might be enticing because it enables sellers to maintain their position in gold without having to convert to another currency.  If a seller sold physical for BTC then they'd lose their gold position and gain a BTC (or USD) position which may not be desirable.

This is exactly what I would suspect would happen.  Imagine gas stations that priced their Gas as 1.0x times the value of 1 BitGallonOfGas.    Gas stations would thus be competing on the premium for facilitating delivery rather than hiding it all in the gas price itself.   

Likewise a gold dealer can earn income in gold by facilitating the movement of physical gold from one person to another without ever taking a USD position.   They can sell gold for 1.05 BitGold and buy gold for .95 BitGold.   The price is easy and predictable for customers and they could pick their gold dealer based upon the best spread. 
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline yellowecho

Of course there would be bullion sellers offering to give you one gramm of gold for an amount of BitGold worth one gramm of gold (less a margin) - but this seems trivial, a bit like this: http://www.nofiatcoin.com

That's what I was thinking.. a bullion seller could offer 1oz worth of physical for 1oz worth of BitGold.  It may not be so trivial because sellers could charge a premium for physical and earn money on the premium.  This actually might be enticing because it enables sellers to maintain their position in gold without having to convert to another currency.  If a seller sold physical for BTC then they'd lose their gold position and gain a BTC (or USD) position which may not be desirable.

Offline Markus

• View Profile
I dont think peter schiff would like bitshares because it is not backed by physical gold. If you break down his desire for a crypto currency backed by gold it comes down to a digital bearer bond (colored coin) for gold...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like it'd be very easy to back BitGold with physical gold.  All it would take is a single seller of bullion to recognize Bitshares X as a legitimate banking institution and BitGold could be redeemed for physical metal at their establishment.  It would actually work in a similar manner as the ETF PHYS except it would be even more liquid since PHYS requires a very sizable amount in order to take delivery.  Or am I missing something?

Do you mean that a bullion seller would offer physical gold you can buy as BitGold and you have the option to have the physical gold delivered to you whenever to opt for that?

No bullion seller could guarantee to back any amount of BitGold. Also no bullion seller would back BitGold if BitGold would lose its value (due to lack of trust or whatever).

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I dont think peter schiff would like bitshares because it is not backed by physical gold. If you break down his desire for a crypto currency backed by gold it comes down to a digital bearer bond (colored coin) for gold...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like it'd be very easy to back BitGold with physical gold.  All it would take is a single seller of bullion to recognize Bitshares X as a legitimate banking institution and BitGold could be redeemed for physical metal at their establishment.  It would actually work in a similar manner as the ETF PHYS except it would be even more liquid since PHYS requires a very sizable amount in order to take delivery.  Or am I missing something?

Do you mean that a bullion seller would offer physical gold you can buy as BitGold and you have the option to have the physical gold delivered to you whenever to opt for that?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:08:01 am by delulo »

Offline jae208

• View Profile
For some reason I see a ton of stuff about Ethereum wherever I go, but I don't see much about BTS, PTS, or AGS. This is a complete injustice to the work being done by Invictus and this community at large.

What if we established a Marketing Bounty program to help drive marketing, awareness, and adoption? If we can reward bounties to people for writing blogs, podcasts, Facebook pages, or articles, then include small bounties for people to share or post to major social media platforms, we can spread the message far and wide. We will have to reach a consensus in the community of message that we want to put forth, that way we can have some sort of impact on the narrative.

This community has some brilliant concepts with extremely talented devs, but we haven't even scratched the surface of what is capable. People need to know that this community exists, and if we don't market the concepts we could all potentially lose out in the end.

Marketing an idea is more important than the idea itself in many ways. Everyone should know what you guys are doing here.

The problem we face is that almost no one understands what we are doing here.   Few really understand Ethereum either, but that is beside the point.    The feedback I am given is that despite my interviews, long conversations, etc no one seems to really understand it at a level that they can explain to others.

On this forum I would assume that 90% like what we are doing without even understanding it all in detail.  These are people with good intuition, but intuition is sometimes hard to explain.  There are perhaps 10% that can start to explain how and why it works.   

This is what Brian Page is working night and day to solve.

I would also submit that we already have more than enough publicity at this stage in development.  Now a month after we have BitShares XT launched successfully then will be the time to really pile on the marketing.

i recall someone in the Miami conference thought you are creating A.I corporations that will eventually take over the world  :D

I think distributed blockchain technologies may be what gives rise to an AI..
Now technology is neither good nor evil so giving rise to an AI wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline bytemaster

I think Peter S. would actually like BitShares because it uses a stock metaphor rather than a currency metaphor.   

Offline JA

• View Profile
I think it wount be that dificult to understand bitshares when it is out and works.
Reggie Middleton is a great guy and will do very well explaining bitshares...

+1
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:31:55 pm by jabbajabba »

Offline jae208

• View Profile
I think it wount be that dificult to understand bitshares when it is out and works.

+1
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline yellowecho

Offline Giga

• Futurist & Endless Dreamer
    • View Profile
For some reason I see a ton of stuff about Ethereum wherever I go, but I don't see much about BTS, PTS, or AGS. This is a complete injustice to the work being done by Invictus and this community at large.

What if we established a Marketing Bounty program to help drive marketing, awareness, and adoption? If we can reward bounties to people for writing blogs, podcasts, Facebook pages, or articles, then include small bounties for people to share or post to major social media platforms, we can spread the message far and wide. We will have to reach a consensus in the community of message that we want to put forth, that way we can have some sort of impact on the narrative.

This community has some brilliant concepts with extremely talented devs, but we haven't even scratched the surface of what is capable. People need to know that this community exists, and if we don't market the concepts we could all potentially lose out in the end.

Marketing an idea is more important than the idea itself in many ways. Everyone should know what you guys are doing here.

The problem we face is that almost no one understands what we are doing here.   Few really understand Ethereum either, but that is beside the point.    The feedback I am given is that despite my interviews, long conversations, etc no one seems to really understand it at a level that they can explain to others.

On this forum I would assume that 90% like what we are doing without even understanding it all in detail.  These are people with good intuition, but intuition is sometimes hard to explain.  There are perhaps 10% that can start to explain how and why it works.   

This is what Brian Page is working night and day to solve.

I would also submit that we already have more than enough publicity at this stage in development.  Now a month after we have BitShares XT launched successfully then will be the time to really pile on the marketing.

i recall someone in the Miami conference thought you are creating A.I corporations that will eventually take over the world  :D

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile