Author Topic: Beginner investing with a small bank roll  (Read 2995 times)

Offline mint chocolate chip

In the crypto-world getting a 100x return is possible.  Thus investing $1 in 100 things will break even if you lose 100% on 99 things.    Based on this reasoning, an investor looking to mitigate risk is probably well served by picking 5 of the most promising ideas and investing proportional to their understanding of the idea.

Nothing replaces knowledge if you want to see a return.

What are the 5 most promising ideas?
I am sure 1 of them is BTS/PTS/AGS but give us your take on the other 4 you feel are currently the most promisng

LOL... there are none that I would invest in.
Wise words Dan. Wise words.  :P
That's the answer I think I wanted to hear. I was stretched out with investments all over the place, but have recently been consolidating towards riding this wave thinking it will be the one to take me to the promised land.

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
What i do or what i did in terms of minable coins/"ideas" ;) is to invest in servers on demand and mined the first 48 hours and sell ASAP
*cough* Memorycoin
I did the same as i first heard about Protoshares ...until i researched the background of it and i stayed tuned since then (and didn't sold any PTS anymore)
The same goes for buying in to these ideas (Mastercoin, Counterparty, Ethereum...)
I did my research followed the progress and i still think bitshares is the one to go

I agree - my investing has been contrarian (ride the wave and get out while everyone is still exuberant). However, PTS/AGS and DACs are intriguing to me as a "buy-and-hold" investments. I'm looking forward to DACs, then investing will really get fun...
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline JA

• View Profile
What i do or what i did in terms of minable coins/"ideas" ;) is to invest in servers on demand and mined the first 48 hours and sell ASAP
*cough* Memorycoin
I did the same as i first heard about Protoshares ...until i researched the background of it and i stayed tuned since then (and didn't sold any PTS anymore)
The same goes for buying in to these ideas (Mastercoin, Counterparty, Ethereum...)
I did my research followed the progress and i still think bitshares is the one to go

Offline Pocket Sand

• View Profile
In the crypto-world getting a 100x return is possible.  Thus investing $1 in 100 things will break even if you lose 100% on 99 things.    Based on this reasoning, an investor looking to mitigate risk is probably well served by picking 5 of the most promising ideas and investing proportional to their understanding of the idea.

I am sure 1 of them is BTS/PTS/AGS but give us your take on the other 4 you feel are currently the most promisng

Wise words Dan. Wise words.  :P

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline mint chocolate chip

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
First rule (which we all ignore) is: spread your risk.

funny, I'd take the opposite position in this case. Spread your risk across your entire portfolio, but not necessarily diversify in the crypto currency world. Of your life net worth, I assume a couple hundred dollars are not going to break you. If you can afford to lose those couple hundred in an extremely high risk investment (anything in the crypto world qualifies as that), I'd argue to do lots of research - find a new idea you believe in, and invest in it.

Mining and mining based stocks have returned worse than simply buying and holding currency so far. There are no "new ideas" in mining, that I know of, everyone appears to be selling hardware r producing it and mining for themselves. Right now there are lots of new crypto-assets being developed. Do lots of research, don't be fooled by nice words - look for hard data. Stay away from, "trust me" companies, even if lots of forum people are chiming in. You need to see balance sheets, income statements, and business plans (if you're buying stock). If you're investing in a new coin, understand what gives that coin a competitive edge, what is the backing funding, how is development organized, what are the threats to success. Find something you believe in, support it, and follow it closely. Diversifying too much, sprinkling around money to lots of things you don't have a strong understanding of, will probably lead you to losing money.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 05:52:42 pm by maqifrnswa »
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline Markus

• View Profile
First rule (which we all ignore) is: spread your risk.

Offline inkha

• View Profile
I'm looking for some guidance from a knowledgeable member, I'm looking for new information to digest on investing with crypto coins in a way that I can earn money and feel good about it along the way. I have been doing everything from coin trading, to purchasing stocks, to mining, And i'm curious about what my next step should be. I'm not working with much, Just several hundred dollars, But i'd like to make the right moves from here on out to grow effectively, What would you say?