Author Topic: 2000 PTS - Jenkins Automated Nightly Build Server  (Read 13341 times)

Offline bytemaster

Feb 28th sounds fair, but 200 PTS seems a bit harsh.

There's two sides to this:
a) we're slacking, in which case 200 PTS would be valid.
b) we're running into unforseen technical problems that require more time to solve/work around.

I think in case of b (you'll be the judge) there should be a possibility to extend or soften the penalty.

Two things here... I doubled your estimate (to give a grace period) and I made the penalty optional on my part if I am pleased with progress and unforeseen issues crop up.  It is more of an insurance policy against slacking that gives me the freedom to hire someone else if you all take more than a month to complete it.  You all have experience with my good faith efforts to pay those that produce value and I have do doubt that you will get it done.   
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
not exactly Jenkins, but if you're interested in a launchpad daily build PPA for ubuntu, let me know.
launchpad.net will import from github and build once a day or when there is an update, whichever is longer. We can even backport the missing libraries if you want to go further back than Saucy.
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline BrownBear

• View Profile
Feb 28th sounds fair, but 200 PTS seems a bit harsh.

There's two sides to this:
a) we're slacking, in which case 200 PTS would be valid.
b) we're running into unforseen technical problems that require more time to solve/work around.

I think in case of b (you'll be the judge) there should be a possibility to extend or soften the penalty.

Offline markzookerburg

• View Profile
I wanted to do this but since he's doing it already :/ oh well

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
When I thought 2k was too much it wasn't just because you said it would take a week, so the reasoning that there should be a penalty for late solutions is still consistent. But also my opinion regarding pay amount shouldn't be weighed very heavily,  I'm not a pro.

I think late penalties are an important cost for exclusivity though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bytemaster

Just to be clear... 2000 PTS for a working solution by Feb 28th.    If it takes longer than Feb 28th, it will be 200 PTS per day penalty (at my discretion).   If you can do it in 1 week then that will be great and the penalty clause shouldn't apply. 

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

I'm not sure if you noticed by the times of my posts, but the "weeks" i was putting in here are including weekends and late night shifts. The bounties are generous, but the tasks are demanding aswell. I do agree with thisisausername, if i get this week exclusively it's mine. Anyone else would be stupid trying to compete. In the end that was what i asked for in the first place. I just saw how you dedicated the other 2k task to someone before it was even defined, so i assumed we could get to the same agreement here. I checked back with BrownBear and we expected we could manage this within a week. If you want to keep it open for competition and you expect to get a faster solution that way, that's fine with me. But I'm not going to waste a week of hard work on a coinflip.
If we can do it in a week, 2k must be to much - but if we need longer than those 7 days we will get less (penalty)  ??? I'm slightly confused with the logic there. I agree with BrownBear that a task should not be worth less, if you can do in a shorter time frame.
Concerning the bounty system in general. I still think splitting all the jobs on all the coders would be more efficient and healthy than having all the coders compete over each piece of code and write everything multiple times, only to discard perfectly fine solutions in the end.

I agree this one shouldn't be a competition, and I want you to have it.    So lets just go with it and have you and BrownBear deliver it.   You have proven yourself capable and so I have faith that you will execute.   

Keep up the great work. 

drekrob

I'm not sure if you noticed by the times of my posts, but the "weeks" i was putting in here are including weekends and late night shifts. The bounties are generous, but the tasks are demanding aswell. I do agree with thisisausername, if i get this week exclusively it's mine. Anyone else would be stupid trying to compete. In the end that was what i asked for in the first place. I just saw how you dedicated the other 2k task to someone before it was even defined, so i assumed we could get to the same agreement here. I checked back with BrownBear and we expected we could manage this within a week. If you want to keep it open for competition and you expect to get a faster solution that way, that's fine with me. But I'm not going to waste a week of hard work on a coinflip.
If we can do it in a week, 2k must be to much - but if we need longer than those 7 days we will get less (penalty)  ??? I'm slightly confused with the logic there. I agree with BrownBear that a task should not be worth less, if you can do in a shorter time frame.
Concerning the bounty system in general. I still think splitting all the jobs on all the coders would be more efficient and healthy than having all the coders compete over each piece of code and write everything multiple times, only to discard perfectly fine solutions in the end.

Offline bytemaster

I myself think penalties for slow work are totally acceptable and may even be necessary to prevent abuse of exclusivity.

This is a hard one to figure out, and I'm pretty tired right now from working on the AGS stuff all night. I'll come up with a proposal tomorrow.

Sounds good to me.   Lets consider this bounty up for bid.  Anyone else who is interested should make a proposal on how they would handle it.

Offline BrownBear

• View Profile
I myself think penalties for slow work are totally acceptable and may even be necessary to prevent abuse of exclusivity.

This is a hard one to figure out, and I'm pretty tired right now from working on the AGS stuff all night. I'll come up with a proposal tomorrow.

Offline bytemaster

I think what I'm getting at is that this new arrangement might have an even worse incentive structure than the bounties.

I disagree. This supports collaboration and enables healthier working times and better quality of the end product.
It's very frustrating working on a bounty openly like I did with the 800 PTS bounty, finding the problems and pointing them out, discussing stuff to just have someone pull out the rug under you posting a completed solution as first post in a thread. Imho it should even be forbidden to send a single-post solution in a bounty thread while someone else already posted WIP in there.

@800PTS valuation:
The amount of time someone needs to complete a task depends mainly on their competence and hour/week of work. I think 800 for the requested task is way too little, and I think a week is a tight timeframe. But what he failed to mention: DreKrob and I agreed to collaborate on this, and together we're very good (and therefore quick) at this kind of task. I can't speak for him, but my share of 800 PTS wouldn't be worth the effort for me.

Why don't you open up a small bounty for working out a good bounty system? ^_^ I could put some brain power in and try to come up with a system that promotes quickness, quality and collaboration.

Well having a good bounty system is challenging (had a bounty for that that didn't work out lol).   

Yeah, I tend to agree that this is a BIG task which is why I priced it at 2000 PTS to begin with.   I am very happy to see you all collaborating to get it done.  So lets aim for a 2 week deadline with some kind of penalty per day for late delivery?   

This would motivate rapid work?  THoughts?

Offline BrownBear

• View Profile
I think what I'm getting at is that this new arrangement might have an even worse incentive structure than the bounties.

I disagree. This supports collaboration and enables healthier working times and better quality of the end product.
It's very frustrating working on a bounty openly like I did with the 800 PTS bounty, finding the problems and pointing them out, discussing stuff to just have someone pull out the rug under you posting a completed solution as first post in a thread. Imho it should even be forbidden to send a single-post solution in a bounty thread while someone else already posted WIP in there.

@800PTS valuation:
The amount of time someone needs to complete a task depends mainly on their competence and hour/week of work. I think 800 for the requested task is way too little, and I think a week is a tight timeframe. But what he failed to mention: DreKrob and I agreed to collaborate on this, and together we're very good (and therefore quick) at this kind of task. I can't speak for him, but my share of 800 PTS wouldn't be worth the effort for me.

Why don't you open up a small bounty for working out a good bounty system? ^_^ I could put some brain power in and try to come up with a system that promotes quickness, quality and collaboration.

Offline bytemaster

I would do this, but not under the pressure of a bounty. It's just not healthy for me and my code to do this with the constant fear of the full work possibly being obsolete at some point. If you assign this exclusively to me I will try to finish it within one week.

Ok, you have it done in one week and it is yours... if it takes longer than one week then it is open for anyone.

That just means it's drekrob's period, no?

I'd be crazy to start now, thinking that drekrob will fail; he probably won't.
I'd be crazy to start after a week, since drekrob has seven days worth of a head start on me.
Invictus would be crazy to not allow drekrob to compete after a week because he'd almost certainly be the person closest to a working product.

Yeah... that might be the case... lets look at the goal:  get it done as quickly as possible... if we make it a race then drekrob will not participate, but others might.   I think what we really want is some kind of incentive for it to get done... if we are going to hire drekrob by the task and exclude others then we cannot have it open ended.  So I think we will need to modify the terms to encourage rapid completion and offer opportunities to others.

Based upon the analysis of drekrob that he could do this in 1 week, that tells me this is a 800 PTS task.... so I think I will have to agree that this bounty should remain open to competition at 2000 PTS or can be had on a contract basis for 800 PTS.    The extra reward is to motivate rapid progress by many players and give us an option of the best results.    What do you say drekrob? 

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
IMO it's no different than if they had just outsourced this task to begin with like for keyhotee. That said if this becomes a comming thing I think there needs to be some cost to not finishing within the claimed time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline thisisausername

I would do this, but not under the pressure of a bounty. It's just not healthy for me and my code to do this with the constant fear of the full work possibly being obsolete at some point. If you assign this exclusively to me I will try to finish it within one week.

Ok, you have it done in one week and it is yours... if it takes longer than one week then it is open for anyone.

That just means it's drekrob's period, no?

I'd be crazy to start now, thinking that drekrob will fail; he probably won't.
I'd be crazy to start after a week, since drekrob has seven days worth of a head start on me.
Invictus would be crazy to not allow drekrob to compete after a week because he'd almost certainly be the person closest to a working product.

Pjo39s6hfpWexsZ6gEBC9iwH9HTAgiEXTG