Author Topic: lost original protoshare wallet  (Read 5451 times)

Offline kyma

• View Profile
Re: lost original protoshare wallet
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 05:02:49 pm »
well, I am afraid I may have lost my PTS. I elected to send them from the old client to the address of my new wallet. Seeing as how there's "0 active connections to the network" on the old client while displaying the outbound transfer with an account balance of zero, it feels like my PTS may have vanished into "space"

any insights?

I have attempted to replace the new wallet.dat file with my file from the old client. The new client now shows the outbound transfer and a balance of zero, but at least its connected to the network. The transfer currently has "0 of 6 confirmations" - If this never confirms are my PTS gone forever? I've tripple checked the address. It matches the new address of my new wallet.dat

EDIT: I will update when it reaches 6 out of 6 confirmations and I figure out where my money is ;)

*********Good news decided to run both wallets simultaneously on two separate computers. PTS have been sent and received. Next time I'll just copy paste the wallet dat and make sure to backup before the upgrade :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 05:52:04 pm by kyma »

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 02:28:15 pm »
I figured out the copy paste step. I tend to over think things, I thought it was a difficult task but it was pretty simple. But everything is all good right now I got my pts back.  8). Thanks again everybody.

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 02:05:13 pm »
Thanks everybody for your assistance.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 11:46:53 am »
If you still having trouble, try looking at this FAQ link:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1964.0

Read the sections:
How do I backup my PTS wallet?
How do I restore my PTS wallet from a backup?

If you still having trouble PM me and I'll go through it step-by-step.

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 08:55:51 am »
I will ask Testz to look in the old location... this update shouldn't require this manual intervention.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline thisisausername

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 06:45:33 am »
I see the wallet.dat file now what should I open it with to view it?

I think you missed the following part of Troglodactyl's post:

Open the ProtoShares folder, copy the wallet.dat file, and then go to the BitShares-PTS folder and paste it there.

After doing this, you should see your old balance when you run the new BitShares-PTS application.

You don't need to 'double-click' to open your wallet or anything, you just need to put it in the right location (the BitShares-PTS folder) and then run the BitShares-PTS program; the program itself will read your wallet.
Pjo39s6hfpWexsZ6gEBC9iwH9HTAgiEXTG

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 06:22:42 am »
I see the wallet.dat file now what should I open it with to view it?

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 06:17:48 am »
Ok, should be the same, let me know if you have any issues with it.

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 06:05:24 am »
I have windows 8

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 05:43:15 am »
Ive downloaded the new wallet by the way I just need instruction on the other stuff.

What OS are you on?  And have you run the new wallet?  Running the wallet the first time will create its settings files.

If you're on Win7, and your main OS drive is C:, go to C:\Users\[your_username_here]\AppData\Roaming

The AppData folder will likely be hidden, but if you type the above in the location bar with your windows username substituted it should take you there.

In that folder, you should see a folder named "BitShares-PTS" and one named "ProtoShares".  Open the ProtoShares folder, copy the wallet.dat file, and then go to the BitShares-PTS folder and paste it there.

After doing this, you should see your old balance when you run the new BitShares-PTS application.

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 05:28:03 am »
Ive downloaded the new wallet by the way I just need instruction on the other stuff.

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 05:25:13 am »
Thanks man! To be frank Im not tech savvy. If you don't mind can you guide me through the steps on how to do that? I will really appreciate it. Or else it will be 26.39 pts down the drain including 13 angelshares. Luckily I still have bitcoin qt wallet I donated to angelshares with.

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 05:04:59 am »
I had Norton installed on my computer and after the installation I tried to start up my wallet and I get an error message stating that the protoshare wallet cannot be installed because the qtcore4.dll is missing from my computer. It told me to reinstall the program. From what it looks like the original wallet I downloaded back in December is no longer available instead there is bitshare pts. Is there a way I can recover my funds?  :-[

There should still be a wallet.dat file in C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\Protoshares  Download the latest Bitshares PTS application and copy your original wallet.dat into the new directory C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\BitShares PTS

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 04:56:26 am »
You never backed up your wallet.dat or the privkey somewhere else? If no, I am afraid you lost the the fund permanently...
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile
lost original protoshare wallet
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:47:01 am »
I had Norton installed on my computer and after the installation I tried to start up my wallet and I get an error message stating that the protoshare wallet cannot be installed because the qtcore4.dll is missing from my computer. It told me to reinstall the program. From what it looks like the original wallet I downloaded back in December is no longer available instead there is bitshare pts. Is there a way I can recover my funds?  :-[