Author Topic: Bitcointalk Presence  (Read 8585 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Oh...and it seems to me we need "Team Viral"...

If this is to be supercharged, we will need to fund others assistance!

We definitely need Team Viral.

In fact, I'll start a thread right now to see who's in on it. I don't care about being humble any more, I'll just do everything I think is reasonable, and then people will have to tell me when they get sick of my constant posting :D

In the meanwhile, anyone reading this are encouraged to bump these threads,

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=503723.msg5545874
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=485166.20
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=317462.msg5465578

If you bump with a question or a quote to me I can re-bump it in an appropriate interval. ;)

Offline fuzzy

Oh...and it seems to me we need "Team Viral"...

Invictus could fund Team Viral with AGS funds.  I'll tell you what I'd do if I was rich:  create bounties for individuals to help us set up interviews with leaders in countries that would most benefit from this technology.  Unfortunately I am anything but rich, and so am forced to do what I can with what I have...all while holding down a night shift job and going to school for my psych and web development degrees.  I am learning, but this all takes time!

If this is to be supercharged, we will need to fund others assistance!
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline fuzzy

Bitcointalk Presence

Invictus and Bitshares have not yet established a solid presence in the crypto community.
One of the major obstacles to gaining a central place in the crypto community is being a solid presence on Bitcointalk.org.
This thread concerns ideas around, worries about, and the format of promotional content creation.
A lot of what is discussed here should also generalize to reddit, facebook, twitter, etc.

Who can contribute, and when?

When I thought about building our presence on Bitcointalk.org it quickly dawned on me that we need to space this out between different people posting in threads at different times.

My own approach has been to plan out a set of threads that I can make across a space of weeks. But we also need people to comment on these threads lest they drown, and we need other people to make threads as it will quickly begin to look stupid if I'm the only one posting threads.

List the amount of posts you can make per week, and what your expertise is or PM me to get involved!

Ideas for content and formats?

It also quickly dawned on me that my creativity for content creation is extremely limited. I also need you the community to come up with ideas for threads we can post. We can and should dissociate the ideas for content, the creation of content and the posting of content.

Ideas so far have been the following:

In general,
-- Bump old threads continuously, (Keyhotee thread, Bitshares thread, Bytemaster threads, + the ones we create)
-- Always aim to use a diverse range of formats (pictures!, memes, movies, slogans, links, etc.),
-- Aim for a diverse range of themes and target different sections of the forum (off-topic, political, altcoin, etc.)
-- Themes do not always need to be directly related to Bitshares or Invictus; many indirect ways.
-- Always act as support and courage people to send PM's and ask questions.
-- Redirect as much as possible to this forum and good sources of relevant information.
-- Promote threads via other social media (cross-post, mention in chats/trollboxes, twitter, etc.)
-- We should show what problem Bitshares can solve
-- Promote the economic, profit motive - DACs need to be profitable.
-- Promote the concept of DACs.
-- We should link to Bitshares when it's released and help people to either buy them or earn them.

Concrete Threads,
-- [ANN][PTS] February 28th Bitshares X Snapshot!
--  Re: Introducing Keyhotee - Next Generation Identity, DNS, Messaging, and Wallet
-- Topic: Bitshares, Ethereum and Mastercoin Three-way Panel Discussion
-- Skandinavian, (I'm Norwegian), Er desentraliserte børser og banker neste steg for Crypto?

Threads I'm planning to do:
-- Price speculation threads, .. on Bitshares X or PTS, etc.
-- Politics and Society Threads: The volunarist-meme video posted here, with some voluntarist ideas.
-- Thread  February newsletter as well as March, etc.
-- Thread concerning the Invictus incubator model, as well as the upcoming DAC-centric conference
-- Threads concerning articles; The Three Laws of Robotics, Is Bitcoin Overpaying for False Security? and DACs That Spawn DACs.
-- Thread concerning the updated Bitshares X whitepaper.
-- Q&A threads.
-- Threads about DAC ideas.

List your ideas for content and formats!

What should we worry about?

That there will be a lot of critical questions we can't answer.
That a hard push might backfire as paid advertising.
That Bitshares clones dominate and establish themselves as more fair.

Some solutions,
-- Effective anti-propaganda
-- Dominating presence
-- Kindness/honorable code
-- Economic incentive

List what we should worry about and how to resolve the worry below!

What am I missing?

Post suggestions and I'll update this thread!

I have some vague idea that we should link the various social media efforts into this, but I am unsure how.

what would be awesome...would be a way to quickly send an entire thread to bitcointalk from bitsharestalk.  Though I'm pretty sure this would be possible, I do not know if it would be a good idea in practice or not.  Something worth considering though.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline unimercio

• The opportunity of a lifetime comes by every 7 day
    • View Profile
    • Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)
  • BitShares: unimercio
We are working on an educational series designed to help people understand the crypto-currency space.  Our goal is to have people searching for information on Bitcoin to find our site as the most useful and informative site on the internet.  Then after answering their questions on Bitcoin they will be ready to hear every thing else we have to say.

+5% true a concise and correct cloaked message answering "What is BitShares" , framed within a "What is Bitcoin" will gather a larger audience.

The challenge is to stay linear and on topic. We're all excited about the possibilities and promise of BitShares, DACs and crypto 2.0 in general. But, we tend to deal on the hypothetical more often than not.

The audience we need to attract will not be able to follow. We need evangelist and messages that are not preaching to the choir (us). When we can explain and sell to our coworkers, parents, etc..  we'll be on our way.

Education is everything, many threads on the forum are ripe with knowledge, compiling and presenting it will require a repository, framework, authors, editors, presenters , etc...  A huge but worthy undertaking, do you have the bandwidth?  How can we help?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:43:25 pm by unimercio »
Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)

Offline davidpbrown

Links to http://www.reddit.com/r/BitShares/ from other sub-reddits can only help engage a wider audience there and from there to here. However, it seems many mods will only do mutual links and require hoop jumps. So, for example, I encouraged /r/CryptoCurrency/ to include all Bitcoin2.0 sub-reddits a couple of weeks back but they would only do that, if I answered which had met their criteria for inclusion.. /r/CryptoCurrency/wiki/sidebarpolicy

I don't know who http://www.reddit.com/user/unlimited_power is but perhaps they can be encouraged to add a list of related reddits, and those can then be 'required' list Bitshares.. as per retro policy.

I expect there are a long list of Bitcoin related subreddits but getting the big ones might be useful as would posting links to forum topics here could be.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

Quick, everyone vote this question up and answer it.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1zll7d/is_it_possible_to_buy_stocks_using_bitcoin/

Nice spot.  Done. 

Also added a link to bitshares.org.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Great work betax.

Now we just need continual bumping of various threads. I'll sort that out in another thread once there is some traction.

Offline betax

• View Profile
I posted the tool to check your BTSx balance in the BitcoinTalk thread here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=485166.0

Please feel free to share that, repost anywhere else.

If you want you can also share the compilation instructions of BitShares and daily builds I am putting here, or wait for a proper release.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=3216.0

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

clout

Honestly, not to fussed about BTCtalk presence. Quite a few people are aware, and once actual products are on the ground, it will caryy itself.

'Build it and they will come'

See this is why you aren't running a company.

No.

Build it and they will never come, because they don't know about it. There are no profits to be made in this community when the growth is stagnant because no one knows about it.

Agreed

I fail to understand how this can be anything but fatalism, denial and apathy combined. That forum is the central hub of everything in the crypto space, and will be so for at least the next 6 months. Core posters of Bitcointalk are crypto-wealthy, crypto-savvy, and well connected to all the crypto-niches we want to reach. These are hard-to-come-by attributes, and we should aim to target their hearts and minds as well as their disposition to be investors and clients.

Are we trying to find crypto-niches or are we trying to get this adopted by the masses? I much rather see marketing in mainstream tech/economic news, magazines and journals than see marketing on bitcointalk. Additionally, marketing can only truly occur when there is an actual product to market. I do not think that because someone was an early adopter of bitcoin and became rich off this speculative bubble that they have the wherewithal to contribute substantially to bitshares success. Bitshares doesn't need crypto wealthy people, crypto savvy people or much more of a crypto niche than that which is comprised by the members of this community. The ideas behind bitshares have been shared with that community and most individuals are either to dense or too greedy to understand its innovation. What bitshares needs is validations from the same economists and esteemed analysts that would denounce bitcoin as a nonviable currency. Bitshares is truly beyond bitcoin. And considering that non of the competitors are using the same concepts that are being implemented in bitshares I would have to agree with the aforementioned suggestion - 'Build it and they will come'

Do you have any idea how delusional it is to believe that people other than the crypto-community will even consider investing in PTS/BTS at this time? Most don't know how to get bitcoin, less will know how to get PTS, and even less will figure out how to get BTS.

The cognitive dissonance of this community astounds me.

MARKETING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR THE SUCCESS OF ALL PRODUCTS AND SERVICES. DOGECOIN SKYROCKETED ON NO FUNDAMENTALS DUE TO VIRAL MARKETING.

Seriously. There is NO reason for dogecoin to be above PTS in market capitalization, yet it has consistently outperformed. Take a lesson from Steve Jobs. Marketing and packaging are important.

If you have been following invictus and bitshares for a while you would have seen that marketing has been an incredible hard feat. On the one hand +5% marketing approach backfired terribly as many thought it indicative of some sort of scam. The notion that you can earn +5% interest on any asset is a truly fantastic notion - not to say it isn't possible. When marketing bitshares, you are not marketing another altcoin you are marketing the greatest advancement in decentralized consensus technology to date, you are marketing an overhaul of our current financial systems, and you are marketing the reconstruction of our traditional structure of governing. All of these things are of the most fantastic nature, and simply because you claim that that these things are occurring doesn't mean that someone will believe you. You need evidence to support your claims. That evidence is a working product (which doesnt exist yet). I'm not saying that marketing isn't important, but marketing means nothing with out a viable product that follows through on invictus' claims. Lastly, don't worry about dogecoin or any other altcoins for none of them are truly invictus' competitors. None of their project leaders understand economics or the efficiency that can result from decentralized organization. When it is built and tested, others will begin to understand the concepts and they will surely come. There are certain products that are hard to sell. Bitshares is not among them. Everyone in the crypto-community is looking for what bitshares provides - an alternative protocol to bitcoin that can store value rather than just validate ownership. 

Offline CLains

• View Profile
1) If you are asked a tough question, post it here.   9 times out of 10 toast, Stan, or I will answer it if someone else cannot.
2) Anytime someone brings up proof of work or proof of stake, point them here and to the TaPOS white paper
3) Anytime someone brings up volatility point them here
4) Basically, almost every discussion on bitcoin talk can be redirected to something we are talking about here if you can phrase it gently and also take care to make it relevant to their discussion.

Very good. I guess it takes some practice to do this well. I'll just search up the relevant information and direct people to the right places :D

We are working on an educational series designed to help people understand the crypto-currency space.  Our goal is to have people searching for information on Bitcoin to find our site as the most useful and informative site on the internet.  Then after answering their questions on Bitcoin they will be ready to hear every thing else we have to say.

Very interesting! Visual presentation I hope!

Offline CLains

• View Profile

I think you're making some very interesting psychological observations. Keep pushing.

Do you have any comments on how to best do viral marketing?
How do we capture the minds and hearts of people?
Or any other ideas on what kinds of threads to contribute, or the format?

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Thanks for all the comments you guys!

We should make the threads visual. Post pictures of the client.
We should show what problem Bitshares can solve and actually promote the "profit motive"
We should promote the concept of DACs.
We should link to Bitshares when it's released and help people to either buy them or earn them.
DAC ideas to get people excited about what can be built in the future?

These are great ideas, I'll update the thread.

The best places in the forum to post are the securities section. It must be noted that Bitshares are like unregistered securities in a decentralized application which will become a decentralized autonomous corporation.

Another good place on the forum to post is the economics section. A lot of people are spreading the meme that inflation is better than deflation. We should ask the question why stock dilution is considered a bad thing on Wall Street but on main street the dilution of the dollar is considered to be in the self interest of dollar holders?

Added! Let me know if you have a specific idea for a threads in those sections. I could probably dig up some of Bytemaster's posts on the topic and work from there. I want people to feel like they can come up with an idea, write out an existing idea, or post a written idea as it suits them and the process.

Memes are needed, logos are needed (beyond just for Bitshares but for the concepts behind it like DACs, DAOs, DEx, etc, .. buzzwords ... Infographics, ...

Do we have a place where all out infographics, logos and memes are collected? There should definitively be a meme-thread with incentives that is not constrained by a specific theme.

Offline bytemaster

This is a great thread and I strongly support the initiative of the community.  Here are some generally good ideas:

1) If you are asked a tough question, post it here.   9 times out of 10 toast, Stan, or I will answer it if someone else cannot.
2) Anytime someone brings up proof of work or proof of stake, point them here and to the TaPOS white paper
3) Anytime someone brings up volatility point them here
4) Basically, almost every discussion on bitcoin talk can be redirected to something we are talking about here if you can phrase it gently and also take care to make it relevant to their discussion.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline zavtra

• View Profile
Honestly, not to fussed about BTCtalk presence. Quite a few people are aware, and once actual products are on the ground, it will caryy itself.

'Build it and they will come'

See this is why you aren't running a company.

No.

Build it and they will never come, because they don't know about it. There are no profits to be made in this community when the growth is stagnant because no one knows about it.

Agreed

I fail to understand how this can be anything but fatalism, denial and apathy combined. That forum is the central hub of everything in the crypto space, and will be so for at least the next 6 months. Core posters of Bitcointalk are crypto-wealthy, crypto-savvy, and well connected to all the crypto-niches we want to reach. These are hard-to-come-by attributes, and we should aim to target their hearts and minds as well as their disposition to be investors and clients.

Are we trying to find crypto-niches or are we trying to get this adopted by the masses? I much rather see marketing in mainstream tech/economic news, magazines and journals than see marketing on bitcointalk. Additionally, marketing can only truly occur when there is an actual product to market. I do not think that because someone was an early adopter of bitcoin and became rich off this speculative bubble that they have the wherewithal to contribute substantially to bitshares success. Bitshares doesn't need crypto wealthy people, crypto savvy people or much more of a crypto niche than that which is comprised by the members of this community. The ideas behind bitshares have been shared with that community and most individuals are either to dense or too greedy to understand its innovation. What bitshares needs is validations from the same economists and esteemed analysts that would denounce bitcoin as a nonviable currency. Bitshares is truly beyond bitcoin. And considering that non of the competitors are using the same concepts that are being implemented in bitshares I would have to agree with the aforementioned suggestion - 'Build it and they will come'

Do you have any idea how delusional it is to believe that people other than the crypto-community will even consider investing in PTS/BTS at this time? Most don't know how to get bitcoin, less will know how to get PTS, and even less will figure out how to get BTS.

MARKETING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR THE SUCCESS OF ALL PRODUCTS AND SERVICES. DOGECOIN SKYROCKETED ON NO FUNDAMENTALS DUE TO VIRAL MARKETING.

Seriously. There is NO reason for dogecoin to be above PTS in market capitalization, yet it has consistently outperformed. Take a lesson from Steve Jobs. Marketing and packaging are important.