Author Topic: Official IRC set-up  (Read 3813 times)

Offline fuzzy

This will need to be up and running by Wednesday most likely, so anyone interested in doing so please feel free.  I have not yet received verification that Sunny will use IRC, so at worst the conversation will take place on Peercoin's forum chat or bitShares forum chat...

An update will be made when possible.   
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Derrick

• View Profile
The advantage that I see of using freenode is that most major development communities already have a presence on freenode. Additionally, freenode seems to be managed pretty well; and it seems very stable.

However having said that, I'm really not at all familiar with the other IRC servers being mentioned.

What are the advantages of using another IRC network?

Offline fuzzy

I am all for redundant channels, but will not be participating in the live IRC channel.  However, as a backup means of communicating should the forum go down and the social media and mailing lists fail... it would be nice to have an official IRC channel.

My reason for not participating is purely for productivity sake.  This is already an unofficial IRC channel #bitshares on freenode.

I have asked Sentilelrv @Peercoin forums to ask Sunny King if he would be willing to use a Beyond Bitcoin IRC.  I have also reached out to markzookerburg in a PM to see if he would be willing to host this event and provide Legend, the voice of Beyond Bitcoin, with the chat log for podcast editing purposes.  Would this not be possible?  Please let me know so I know how to move forward.  Working with Sunny is going to prove difficult, but will be well worth the effort. 

I have also used this occasion to attempt to enlist Peercoin Representatives to Beyond Bitcoin.  Updates to come.

*Note:  Things are getting hectic.  I have no problems with working on this project, but I would also love to let everyone know that we have a need for other reps from this community.  This is where it started and I will be honored to be a representative, but I also want people to be aware that any volunteers will be gladly accepted.  This has been stated many times before...but I'll say it again: This is not for me.  It is for you so you can all help build a "New World Order" that actually cares about and values humanity...  There are currently 190 PTS in my wallet, and I will tip to make that happen until it has nothing left.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:29:33 pm by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Derrick

• View Profile
#bitshares on freenode has been abandoned by the owner as of mid December according to freenode chanserv.

I'm willing to take and delegate responsibility for the channel as I run a couple other (completely unrelated) channels on freenode as well. According to freenode policy I need consent of the Bitshares team to take responsibility for this channel.

An OK from from bytemaster should be sufficient. Any objections?

I have also registered #bitshares-dev on freenode.

If anyone else would prefer to take this on instead please reply.

Offline bytemaster

I am all for redundant channels, but will not be participating in the live IRC channel.  However, as a backup means of communicating should the forum go down and the social media and mailing lists fail... it would be nice to have an official IRC channel.

My reason for not participating is purely for productivity sake.  This is already an unofficial IRC channel #bitshares on freenode.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline markzookerburg

• View Profile
Solely depending on social media sites to release info is a bad choice imo.
Why do it when we can have our own platform?

Also thanks for the idea regarding paid posts,stickies, groups and more.
This will be a good way to sustain the community without drilling a hole in my pocket.

I wish the admins here took a look into this.

Offline rysgc

• View Profile
    • DACZine.com
I think this forum should be obsolete for end users anyways. In the end it will be just like any other product. A product website with a product support forum/fb/twitter where all conversation will take place between users. People will get referred by search engines or through blogs via the product site and kinda stay there to ask questions. Another idea to get some extra funding is to add paid support groups like u see in many places as well. The software, community forums etc are all free but if you need direct help from developers/pro users you can buy (x) months support packages.
DACZine.com - Receive all the latest DAC and BitShares community news straight to your inbox. Signup here or Submit news

Offline markzookerburg

• View Profile
Reminds me of 1999 - thats whats wrong with the forum
I have always referred people to bitcointalk when they ask me about bitcoins and the sheer number of junk/un-formatted way of displaying things leaves people confused

we have to realize we are growing beyond tech-enthusiasts.
What we use will soon be used by the common man -that is when something like Diaspora can help
Easy to login with social media logins (or they can make an account)
Easy to search through - and it feels a lot like your average social media site -WITH the features of a good forum

I am looking to completely revamp user experiences and switch servers to mine (ofcourse admins will have complete access)
My servers are ddos protected, have 99.9999 percent redundancy and can be hosted across the world.
Hosting at multiple locations - > faster load up times.

I think the complete site (bitsharestalk.org) needs a revamp. As you can see - the newbies section is filling up and we should boot up to accomodate people from outside bitcoin world

Offline blackbeard

• View Profile
diaspora is still a thing? whats wrong with the forums?

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Sounds good to me. :)

+5%

Offline markzookerburg

• View Profile
I guess project diaspora takes your exact needs and implements it with great ease. It permits login through other mediums too when required. With a bit of effort - I can get the wiki and blog and the irc at the same domain
So it'd go like

Diaspora.thisdomaindoesnotexist.com
Irc.thisdomaindoesnotexist.com
Blog.thisdomaindoesnotexist.com
mediawiki.thisdomaindoesnotexist.com

Although I personally doubt the need for IRC because Diaspora has chat integrated

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
My only thought on this topic is that there should be maximum integration between different ways of communication, while pushing differentiation to the maximum.

One way to think of it is to integrate the different time-scales at work. The goal would be to have different ways of communication depending on the time-scale of communication you are aiming for.

The shorter the timescale the shorter the memory. If i say something in chat it's typically gone within the minute if it's an active chat. On a forum it sticks around for a bit longer. On a wiki or blog it sticks even longer. If we don't have a chat well integrated on a forum, the forum gets cluttered with high-frequency requests that should have been settled immediately. If we don't have a wiki or blog the forum gets cluttered with sticky threads that should have been retained in a wiki or blog.

The key is to push people to use ALL time-scales (and modes: pictures, github, pdfs, video, etc.) in communication, while having maximum integration and access between these time-scales (and modes). If the blog is in one place, the wiki in another place, the facebook in yet another place, then it's difficult to be conscious of everything that's happening.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:28:53 pm by CLains »

Offline markzookerburg

• View Profile
My intention was to create something that is seperated from the forum/hosted elsewhere so that people can have info in case of a site shutdown momentarily.
The chat has 0 users in it and is NEVER active.

I was also thinking of ditching the forum model all together and going with Diaspora (https://diasporafoundation.org/) for  easier usage.
I could host the two completely free for the forum and give admins all access they need.

Doing the two will bring in a surge in user interactions , the kind of content we share and without a doubt rate of development.

I am open to suggestions and discussions