Author Topic: BitShares XD  (Read 5679 times)

Offline bytemaster

One of the most important parameters for long-term stability:

How much collateral is required to enter a short position (this number is hard-coded at 2x in Bitshares XT).

This one's obviously really important; if more collateral is required, the less likely it is that the system will collapse 2008-real-estate-market-style. On the other hand, if less collateral is required, it will be possible for more BitAssets to exist and this presumably should spur greater economic activity.

Reducing the collateral requirement does not make it possible for more BitAssets to exist, it merely increases the risk in the system.   In fact, one could argue that we should increase the collateral requirement right from day one as the result would merely limit the amount of leverage possible in the system while improving price stability.   I am not sure there is any benefit to lowering the collateral required to short.   
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
One of the most important parameters for long-term stability:

How much collateral is required to enter a short position (this number is hard-coded at 2x in Bitshares XT).

This one's obviously really important; if more collateral is required, the less likely it is that the system will collapse 2008-real-estate-market-style. On the other hand, if less collateral is required, it will be possible for more BitAssets to exist and this presumably should spur greater economic activity.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
BitShares X with Dynamic Parameters

dan has mentioned a prediction market for interest rates. I thought we might collect some more ideas about what other parameters could be made dynamic.

* interest rates
* number of assets
* WHICH assets (to reduce # the bank has to buy back all assets of removed type)
* max block size
* tx fees
* arbitrary asset hierarchy parameters (like, interest rate on interest rate on block size)
* interdependent/partially-self-referential asset derivatives with feedback for self-aware/conscious DACs (not really)

come on let's hear some
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.