Author Topic: Announcement Regarding February 28 2014 BitShares Snapshot and Future DACs  (Read 11061 times)

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
a watched pot never boils.. :-X

the network just passed midnight a few mins ago, even though it is 2 am. This is because bitcoin timestamps just have to be greater than the median of the past eleven blocks - so it takes a couple of hours before you know what the last block of a day is. I wouldn't expect and announcement for some time. No reason to run anything since there isn't even software yet.
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline unimercio

• The opportunity of a lifetime comes by every 7 day
    • View Profile
    • Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)
  • BitShares: unimercio
Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
Waiting anxiously to hear the snapshot went through without a hitch!

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
ok, now it's waiting game time. let's see if any server has crazy time stamps, this is currently the last block
https://coinplorer.com/PTS/Blocks/00000013c103051c8016744cc357406fcd81ed6e3627d4dc187e8ebb6caf54b4

ha!
one did!
https://coinplorer.com/PTS/Blocks/0000001810185022d2b496e2ae59368b1e6fbc40dc82a77e79b90630dfcf89f6

has a time stamp of Feb 28 even though it didn't show up until mar 1
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 01:56:01 am by maqifrnswa »
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Just to verify - is this midnight on the 28th the transition between the 27th & 28th or the 28th and the 1st?

28th and 1st.

we need calendar function on top menu again
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline bytemaster

Just to verify - is this midnight on the 28th the transition between the 27th & 28th or the 28th and the 1st?

28th and 1st.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Lederstrumpf

• View Profile

Offline bdnoble

• View Profile
    • Home Page
Typo alert: Actioned should be Auctioned at 5:30  :o
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 08:59:06 pm by bnoble1206 »
:)

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
Sorry if I'm asking silly question but I'd like to further clarification on the Feb 28th snapshot :

1) At what time exactly will the snapshot be taken on Feb 28th (please specify GMT or EST)?
2) Why is it recommended that PTS movement, in regards to your wallet, be halted until March 2nd?
3) Are the extra 2 days (Feb 28th - Mar 2nd) going to be used for final block confirmations from all
    those transfers that will occur *right* before the Feb 28th snapshot?

Just a smaller miner here that wants to maximize his holdings when the  BitShares XT transfer happens!

Thanks in advance for the clarification and finite details  :D
The snapshot will include the last block on the 28th GMT time.
Not sure about the other two

subtlety: last block means last block with network timestamp of February 28. Network timestamps have some slop in them:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Block_timestamp
block timestamps are not necessarily chronological, and can be as much as 2 hours off of the network consensus time.
so we won't really know what the last block with a February 28 time stamp is until sometime a couple of hours into March 1. I think the March 2 dates is to allow all time stamps and blocks to settle.

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
2) Why is it recommended that PTS movement, in regards to your wallet, be halted until March 2nd?
3) Are the extra 2 days (Feb 28th - Mar 2nd) going to be used for final block confirmations from all

I've always assumed the extra 2 days are just a conservative safety buffer.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
Sorry if I'm asking silly question but I'd like to further clarification on the Feb 28th snapshot :

1) At what time exactly will the snapshot be taken on Feb 28th (please specify GMT or EST)?

Just a smaller miner here that wants to maximize his holdings when the  BitShares XT transfer happens!

The snapshot will include the last block on the 28th GMT time.
Not sure about the other two

Offline mbender71

• View Profile

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
\o/

Could we get this up on Coindesk?

Thanks CLains - looking into that.  In the meantime, you can review at:
http://letstalkbitcoin.com/caution-watch-for-falling-pts/

On skimming through,

1. On the top it says by Dr. Charles W. Evans & Daniel Larimer,
On the bottom it says By Stan Larimer
2. There are several spacing errors on the page after periods.
3. "Watch for falling PTS" might over emphasize the point and cause a harder crash? The main headline should be positive, PTS holders are getting something, the fall is a side-effect.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
So thanks to you Dan and the whole I3 team behind the scenes, especially for the unseen passion and commitement you bring to the table! I got your back like the whole community does  :)

I3 are awesome! That being said, I think ultimately one has to accept that the whole structure of starting a business conspires and holds you hostage to staring into the abyss while chewing glass. There's constantly a threat of failure and there are zillions of nagging little details that will keep cropping up.. One has to keep cool and marathon that shit out with zenceptional grit, and that's what I believe I3 are capable of!

Offline WildWex

• View Profile