Author Topic: 111* days estimated for Difficulty to retarget. Could this kill PTS?  (Read 94773 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Re: 111* days estimated for Difficulty to retarget. Could this kill PTS?
« Reply #293 on: May 27, 2014, 02:08:02 pm »
how long until next retarget?

You can check here:
http://mrx.im/pts.php

Time to retarget: 139d 09:44:40 (2014-10-14 08:23:49 UTC+9)
Plenty of time left .. pretty sure that retarget will not happen :-)

Offline testz

« Reply #292 on: May 27, 2014, 01:40:02 pm »

You can check here:
http://mrx.im/pts.php

Time to retarget: 139d 09:44:40 (2014-10-14 08:23:49 UTC+9)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
« Reply #291 on: May 27, 2014, 01:36:53 pm »
is it even worth talking about it? or will PTS2 (or whatever it will be called, i.e. TitanTokens :-)  ) be available earlier (i.e. snapshot)?

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
« Reply #290 on: May 27, 2014, 01:20:50 pm »
Trying to calculate whether it's feasible to subsidize miners to get to the next reset

That would be pointless. After the next reset, difficulty will be so low that it'll only take a couple of hours to reach the reset after that, and then difficulty will be really high. Much higher than it is now.

Not if miners back off during the mining period. Increasing oscillations aren't natural if you have constant mining power, it's just that when the difficulty is low suddenly a bunch of miners swarm in. We would already trying to fight the natural economic laws at play anyway
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline JoeyD

« Reply #289 on: May 27, 2014, 08:58:57 am »
Trying to calculate whether it's feasible to subsidize miners to get to the next reset

That would be pointless. After the next reset, difficulty will be so low that it'll only take a couple of hours to reach the reset after that, and then difficulty will be really high. Much higher than it is now.

If the goal is only to reach the reset point that would be useless yeah, but I read it as propping up the network to work well enough till they are ready to hard-fork.

If you're an avid gamer, you might be able to convince yourself to temporarily run a couple of 280X pts-miners for quite a boost in network hashing and after that have some reasonable powerful graphics to play with. Maybe in anticipation of coding in 3d with castar-glasses or something like that. Realtime 3d visualization of the network to help analyse it.

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
« Reply #288 on: May 27, 2014, 07:45:11 am »

Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline JoeyD

« Reply #287 on: May 26, 2014, 10:08:45 pm »
Don't know how accurate the numbers on this site are, but it's the best I could find. If those numbers are for bare metal than you'd have to calculate some loss in performance as well for overhead in virtualization.

I did run across this remark via google in a discussion on ypool
Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 512Gb RAM, OCed to 3.4 GHz, RAM at 1940. approx. 1200 CPM
A quick check of the specs on that cpu would make that a dual 12 core so that would average around 50 cpm / core when overclocked from 2.7 GHz on most likely bare metal. I'm not an overclocker, so I have no clue how performance scales compared to percentages of overclock. Worst case scenario that would mean a 26% loss in performance on standard clocks and another couple of percent for running in a virtual machine on a VPS. So at 30% that would come in at around 35 cpm for each core. Now you need to find the price per core for your local VPS to see what that would cost per month.

Keep in mind I'm just making a very crude guess here, I'm not able to confirm any of the above, because I do not have a VPS running.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:10:36 pm by JoeyD »

Offline toast

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 26, 2014, 09:28:45 pm »
Nah no such plans, I just wasn't sure if the wait times were unreasonable. Seems to still be a few hours so IDK.
I didn't really mean "subsidize", I meant more like if the cost is low enough to run a bunch of miners at a loss.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline JoeyD

« Reply #285 on: May 26, 2014, 09:20:11 pm »
What's the cpm for a 4gb cloud miner? Trying to calculate whether it's feasible to subsidize miners to get to the next reset

If you want I could setup a VPS with 6 cores on a xeon 2600 as a test and see what that does.

I'm assuming you're targeting the next reset to hard-fork to dpos and just looking for ways to get to the reset faster. Not too sure if subsidizing miners would work, but doesn't hurt to check either. Maybe other incentives could be setup (some might have been suggested in this thread before).

Btw how would the subsidizing work? Issuing a bonus on each block reward would require some cooperation with the mining pool operators I suspect, not everyone will be solo-mining.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 09:22:16 pm by JoeyD »

Offline toast

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 26, 2014, 07:25:03 pm »
Can someone calculate

* price PTS has to hit to make mining profitable at this difficulty
* average inter-block time
* marginal cost of running miners at a loss to bring inter-block time to under 3 hours

Calculating this also requires an agreed upon electricity cost/watt and what is considered the average way of mining (cpu / gpu for example).

I can give some of my numbers, but I don't know the exact number of PTS I'm receiving or at what intervals. By coincidence I had a couple of R9 280X gpus that are meant for other projects and it also just so happens that NaN released mining software that favors those exact cards, so I don't know if it would be fair to call that standard for all miners. I also had to improvise on the spot, so I do not have an optimal solution when it comes to cooling, powerdraw, crappy internet connection and no optimal clocks.

At the moment (just logged in to take a look, haven't been monitoring over a longer period of time) I have a total of seven 280X cards running a combined total of around 36440 collisions/minute with a total powerdraw of roughly 1700 Watts. If we use the one gpu per miner metric then this averages out to a little over 5200 c/m at 243 Watts.

I'll have to leave it to others to work out how much PTS per watt/hour that equates to with the current state of the network. I just figured I'd pitch in while I could, when I saw the miners exodus and NaN anouncing the release of his newest mining software.

What's the cpm for a 4gb cloud miner? Trying to calculate whether it's feasible to subsidize miners to get to the next reset

Offline JoeyD

« Reply #283 on: May 26, 2014, 07:17:31 pm »
Can someone calculate

* marginal cost of running miners at a loss to bring inter-block time to under 3 hours

Calculating this also requires an agreed upon electricity cost/watt and what is considered the average way of mining (cpu / gpu for example).

I can give some of my numbers, but I don't know the exact number of PTS I'm receiving or at what intervals. By coincidence I had a couple of R9 280X gpus that are meant for other projects and it also just so happens that NaN released mining software that favors those exact cards, so I don't know if it would be fair to call that standard for all miners. I also had to improvise on the spot, so I do not have an optimal solution when it comes to cooling, powerdraw, crappy internet connection and no optimal clocks.

At the moment (just logged in to take a look, haven't been monitoring over a longer period of time) I have a total of seven 280X cards running a combined total of around 36440 collisions/minute with a total powerdraw of roughly 1700 Watts. If we use the one gpu per miner metric then this averages out to a little over 5200 c/m at 243 Watts.

I'll have to leave it to others to work out how much PTS per watt/hour that equates to with the current state of the network. I just figured I'd pitch in while I could, when I saw the miners exodus and NaN anouncing the release of his newest mining software.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:21:23 pm by JoeyD »

Offline toast

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 26, 2014, 06:01:51 pm »
Can someone calculate

Offline testz

Offline BldSwtTrs

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 24, 2014, 02:22:35 pm »
Is there a PTS block explorer aside coinplorer?

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
« Reply #279 on: May 23, 2014, 08:29:28 am »
I donated several PTS yesterday noon to get ags. Now almost 24 hours passed, the transaction is still not confirmed. Sigh :-(

Doesn't matter. If the transaction had one confirmation before midnight GMT, you will have received a share of yesterday's AGS.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de