Author Topic: 111* days estimated for Difficulty to retarget. Could this kill PTS?  (Read 94852 times)

Offline kickky

• View Profile
Re: 42 days estimated for Difficulty to retarget. Could this kill PTS?
« Reply #248 on: April 30, 2014, 11:58:48 am »
+1 hard fork to stop producing blocks at 2m shares. Fix difficulty while we're at it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I don't know that we need to actually keep mining until 2m, as long as the final distribution is completely scaled from the total mined at the snapshot with no post-mine component.  I'm just afraid a post-mine for airdrops or promotions as Stan mentioned could undermine trust.

5 months now...
花爷PTS钱包地址:PmUahfrEvADd7KewwpcZwNBg6LNGgzCyAG
花爷比特币钱包地址:1Ggfyb5HN6Eb7S5j3zax3NpQ4V6ZWStHeh

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 26, 2014, 09:10:34 pm »
+1 hard fork to stop producing blocks at 2m shares. Fix difficulty while we're at it.

I don't know that we need to actually keep mining until 2m, as long as the final distribution is completely scaled from the total mined at the snapshot with no post-mine component.  I'm just afraid a post-mine for airdrops or promotions as Stan mentioned could undermine trust.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
« Reply #246 on: April 26, 2014, 08:50:44 pm »

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 26, 2014, 08:41:53 pm »
To keep things consistent with the initial introduction of PTS and easy to follow for those who are watching less closely, I recommend that that whenever PTS is snapshotted and relaunched as DPOS, the PTS snapshot be scaled to the original 2 million unit total supply.  Leaving them unmined is equivalent proportionally, but making the numbers match would give people who don't see that comfort and a sense of closure.  Using any non-mining distribution for the other PTS shares seems like it would be terrible for PR, since it changes the proportional deal offered to miners.  As much as I want mining to go away, I think there's a strong consensus that PTS initial distribution was all mining with no premine.  Adding in a "postmine" would ruin that.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
« Reply #244 on: April 26, 2014, 08:14:35 pm »

The unmined shares   dividend to all PTS&AGS  maybe better

+5% I Agree. Let's raise the demand and drop the suply... "technicaly"

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags
« Reply #243 on: April 26, 2014, 03:37:25 pm »
I don't think this has been answered. When is the switch to DPOS happening? Post 2million shares or before? There is over 300k shares to be mined still. If the switch to DPOS happens before the 2million and inflationary only mark, then do the 100 voted delegates get to split the remaining 300k PTS between themselves?  This seems like a "rich get richer" scenario. I don't see a problem after the 2 million mark is hit, but before that 100 delegates, which one person could secretly act as multiple, will split the remaining PTS.

Delegates have no such advantage.  There are two possibilities I can think of based on ideas I've seen on this forum:

1.  The unmined shares could remain unmined.  This would amount to a dividend to ALL PTS holders as their percent of the total supply would simply stop shrinking.
2.  The unmined shares could be used for promotional purposes - air drops, partnerships or whatever.

Discuss?

The unmined shares   dividend to all PTS&AGS  maybe better

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 26, 2014, 03:31:59 pm »
Wow ! PTS value is falling deeper and deeper !

What does PBOC have to do with difficulty oscillations?
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline burgoboby

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 26, 2014, 12:19:59 pm »
Wow ! PTS value is falling deeper and deeper !

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
« Reply #240 on: April 25, 2014, 06:17:45 pm »
I don't think this has been answered. When is the switch to DPOS happening? Post 2million shares or before? There is over 300k shares to be mined still. If the switch to DPOS happens before the 2million and inflationary only mark, then do the 100 voted delegates get to split the remaining 300k PTS between themselves?  This seems like a "rich get richer" scenario. I don't see a problem after the 2 million mark is hit, but before that 100 delegates, which one person could secretly act as multiple, will split the remaining PTS.

Delegates have no such advantage.  There are two possibilities I can think of based on ideas I've seen on this forum:

1.  The unmined shares could remain unmined.  This would amount to a dividend to ALL PTS holders as their percent of the total supply would simply stop shrinking.
2.  The unmined shares could be used for promotional purposes - air drops, partnerships or whatever.

Discuss?

I like number 1.

Not sure how number 2 would work without actually "mining" them so to speak. It would make me feel uneasy to think ~15% of the PTS float would be "handed" out at discretion.

We have plans that wouldn't be discretionary and would drive adoption.... we will reveal our proposal for community review closer to the end date since people are worried about others copying our marketing gimics before we can.
holy moly....sounds great!!

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #239 on: April 25, 2014, 03:43:06 pm »

Discuss?

I like number 1.

Not sure how number 2 would work without actually "mining" them so to speak. It would make me feel uneasy to think ~15% of the PTS float would be "handed" out at discretion.

We have plans that wouldn't be discretionary and would drive adoption.... we will reveal our proposal for community review closer to the end date since people are worried about others copying our marketing gimics before we can.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 25, 2014, 03:36:40 pm »

Discuss?

I like number 1.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
« Reply #237 on: April 25, 2014, 03:15:09 pm »

Discuss?

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 25, 2014, 02:53:42 pm »

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #235 on: April 23, 2014, 07:13:18 pm »
?? Do you just mean you can choose which constant to cap it at per-DAC? The only possible point of confusion here is whether it is capped at all or not.
Quote from: DPOS whitepaper
Because each delegate has an equal vote and the top 100 are given equal weight regardless of votes delegated to them there is no ability to concentrate power by acquiring more than 1% of the vote in a single delegate.

Correct, the white paper picked the constant to be a max 2% per delegate, but the top 100 are always picked.   These are constants that can be tweaked and not fundamental to the concept.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
« Reply #234 on: April 23, 2014, 06:28:15 pm »
?? Do you just mean you can choose which constant to cap it at per-DAC? The only possible point of confusion here is whether it is capped at all or not.
Quote from: DPOS whitepaper
Because each delegate has an equal vote and the top 100 are given equal weight regardless of votes delegated to them there is no ability to concentrate power by acquiring more than 1% of the vote in a single delegate.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.