Author Topic: What are Bitshares? Video Script  (Read 8704 times)

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
Hard to explain in a short video and there is probably no space for this, but just a thought I had.
Traditional companies have managers, directors etc on the inside of the company and stock owners on the outside.
This structure does not directly incentivise the people on the inside to act in the best interest of the stock owners and you end up with unethical and/or illegal behavior.

DACs are open-source so stock holders know exactly what they are investing in. The stock holders and workers are also 100% in control of how the company is run (accepting new client versions). No more insider trading, insider unethical behavior etc.

Offline unimercio

• The opportunity of a lifetime comes by every 7 day
    • View Profile
    • Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)
  • BitShares: unimercio
 +5% +5% +5% Very cool project, thanks.

Have you decided on an animation tool, if not check out:

http://www.muvizu.com

Very easy to use, free download and excellent quality.

I thought it might be fun to produce a series of animated promotional, educational videos, in graphic novel cartoon style. I'll start on a mockup proof of concept later today and post it here.

Cheers,
Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)

Offline bytemaster

Sounds like a fun video.
But DACs do use employees, the video can even show more people being employed and the extra cash going to the employees and shareholders (and not to fat cat executives and big bosses, maybe they can disappear).

Lots of money going to this one guy creates the whole too good to be true look and people start shouting ponzi scheme.

DACs are companies that decentralize ownership and increase sharing of profits for everyone (employees and shareholders). A super positive thing. They are not taking away overall jobs and making this one guy rich.

+5   Also missing is that DACs save money and pass the savings on to the customers who win the most.  A DAC can only charge transaction fees in a highly competitive market.  As a result all other savings are passed on to customers and not share holders.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
Sounds like a fun video.
But DACs do use employees, the video can even show more people being employed and the extra cash going to the employees and shareholders (and not to fat cat executives and big bosses, maybe they can disappear).

Lots of money going to this one guy creates the whole too good to be true look and people start shouting ponzi scheme.

DACs are companies that decentralize ownership and increase sharing of profits for everyone (employees and shareholders). A super positive thing. They are not taking away overall jobs and making this one guy rich.

Offline bytemaster

Thanks for posting the script here 1st Brian!

I'll reiterate the excitement for this explainer video, I'm really looking forward to this! I think it's clear, concise and your description of visuals were easy to visualize.

I agree with Troglodactyl and onceupontime; I personally don't have any issues with the 'proofing of the jobs', but my gut says some people may perceive that incorrectly.

Other than that - awesome work!!

Perhaps what we need to do is replace old jobs with new jobs.   We are creating an entire new industry and creating employment opportunities around the new DACs that create far more valuable jobs than the ones it replaces.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

Thanks for posting the script here 1st Brian!

I'll reiterate the excitement for this explainer video, I'm really looking forward to this! I think it's clear, concise and your description of visuals were easy to visualize.

I agree with Troglodactyl and onceupontime; I personally don't have any issues with the 'proofing of the jobs', but my gut says some people may perceive that incorrectly.

Other than that - awesome work!!

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
Looking great!

As onceuponatime points out, some people are going to complain about taking jobs away, just like they do whenever any new technology increases productivity.  We could have all the employees and middlemen run off screen instead of poofing, and then come back in the second to last scene as happy users of the new businesses, but that would be tricky to do without making it cluttered.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Very interesting. Love that you're posting the script here for all to see. Remember that the bitcoin crowd will be watching this video very closely and that we want them on our side.

Offline onceuponatime

I like this very much.

My one caveat is that having: "add in employees" "show them each going poof"
"and give all the money saved to the customers?"
will open up of an attack vector by vested interests.

Political enemies of our innovations might make hay with that by spotlighting the disruptive side of this opportunity.

FOX News, CNN, et al are very adept at capitalizing on opportunities for spreading FUD.

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile
Unfortunately, it will only run 90 seconds (studies show most peoples' interest level drops of fast even after 1 minute) so there's not a lot of room to add to the script, but words can be changed or removed.  We'll have a professional voice do the voiceover...this will be done right.

BUT, this is only the first video...the one you'll see when you first visit the site.  Then under our videos section we'll have a several more explainer videos...

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Oh man I am so excited about this. The "what is bitcoin" video played a *big* role in getting me into the scene.

Does this actually run for ~90 seconds? If it ends up being too short I think that you could add a bit more between
This company has a lot of expenses.
and
But what if you could remove those expenses...
in order to properly explain how the magic behind
What if there were no middlemen, brokers, or commissions...
is possible.

Maybe like, "This company has a lot of expenses. It has to hire accountants to balance its books, lawyers to deal with contracts and regulations*, and managers to manage employees. But what if you could remove those expenses by automating *everything*? What if it simply didn't need contracts or employees? No room for middlemen, brokers, or commissioners..."

* risky
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 03:18:05 am by toast »
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile
Hey Forum,

I've written this script (with much help from Dan and Gregory) and wanted to get your opinions on it.
This will be for the first explainer video one sees when coming to our new website.
It will be around 90 seconds and be animated, like the What is Bitcoin Video.
The purpose is to (breifly) give an overview of DACs and what BitShares does.
The script is first, whats below each line is a suggestion for the visuals...I may leave that up to the video team to come up with.
Either way, please let me know if you like it, hate it, or have a better idea, especially for the visuals.

WHAT ARE BITSHARES?

I’m picturing a little guy walking along who stops when he hears the narrator speak.  in parentheses is suggested visuals. 

Imagine a company. 
(building drops from sky right next to him - that was close! - a sign appears swinging off it that says COMPANY, INC). 

This company has a lot of expenses.
(add in employees, desks, salaries, utilities, staplers, rent, equipment, etc). 

But what if you could remove those expenses...
(show them each going poof and turning into money, which grows into a pile of bills next to guy)

and give all the money saved to the customers?
(the guy sees shares magically appear in one hand, then some bills fly into the other hand of him and his friends, a big crowd who we now see around him, all smiling).

What if there were no middlemen, brokers, or commissions...
(big X’s over a greedy looking fat businessman, or you could have a bunch of men with “middle” on their shirts, or a slick looking dude, and scissors cutting a part of a dollar off…… our guy has even more money now, spilling out of his pockets)

and you could trade your shares with anyone as easy as sending email?
(a computer flops from sky in front of guy, showing shares on screen, he presses big “send” button and the shares shoot to another guy on other side of a tiny globe, also with a computer…. both celebrate).

Well now you can, with BitShares.
(In zooms the BitShares logo looking like a hero who stands next to our guy. Put a cape on the “b”?)

BitShares are shares of digital companies that are traded directly from person to person over the internet. 
(can we show the “b” zooming around taking companies - which could be the buildings we used earlier - and turning them into “b” companies! The companies themselves look proud and puffed up).

Digital companies exist entirely in software that runs on the computers of the customers that use them.
(the company building is now split into pieces and flies into the computers of a bunch of happy shareholders)

Bitcoin was the first digital company that calls its shares coins and promoted their use as a form of money.
(Show the Bitcoin “B” symbol kind of amble in - walking - also wearing a cape, right on the other side of the guy in the story.  A coin falls out of his pocket with a bitcoin B on it, he looks a bit embarassed.  The two b's smile at each other knowingly with arms crossed, capes flying). 

BitShares goes beyond Bitcoin to offer many new, and more profitable companies in industries like banking, stock exchanges, auctions, music, voting, lotteries,  insurance, and many more. 
(images representing each of these appears as BitShares walks over and starts magically making a growing pile of new industries like he has superpowers.  Bitcoin is wowed and guy is happy because his money grows).

Bitshares does for business what Bitcoin is doing for money.
To learn more, explore bitshares.org
(website swooshes in, with logo appearing above it).

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:41:25 pm by MktDirector »