Author Topic: Should we be calling it BitShares?  (Read 2387 times)

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
I think Bitshares is exactly how it should be called. Bit is not of course not exclusively linked to Bitcoin
True, but is it not notable that the price of pretty much all virtual currencies fall as the price of bitcoin falls. In such a situation would it not be better for the price of BitShares and the BitShare market to be decoupled from the Bitcoin market.
If you know how to swim, why tether yourself to something that could sink?

Offline rysgc

• View Profile
    • DACZine.com
I think Bitshares is exactly how it should be called. Bit is not of course not exclusively linked to Bitcoin and I don't think a company or product should be named after the availability of a domain name. Take a look at the Firefox browser for example for years this domain was taken by a different company and that worked out quite good as well.
DACZine.com - Receive all the latest DAC and BitShares community news straight to your inbox. Signup here or Submit news

Offline Number 1

• View Profile
The other issue being that both bitshares dor com and bitshare dot com are already taken. Bitshares dot com is available for 10K USD. I had originally talked with the domain name owner to try and purchase it a lot cheaper but 10K was the minumum he would accept. I did present this to the Invictus team...perhaps they are considering it.
PTS: Pj8UH9ExVidcFd4LKtEgPSrwrtpYhPhug8

Offline que23

• View Profile
I'd really like to see a name the encompasses the whole Bitshares project. I keep calling it the Bitshares project. Maybe a three little acronym? Does anyone have any ideas?
PTS: Pa75dEzGkMcnM85hRMbdKiS1YdF81rnSCF

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
The name BitShares makes sense and its easy and simple enough.

The issue I'm having with it is that it aligns itself closely with Bitcoin.

To someone who doesnt know what BitShares is they may think:
- A share in a piece of a bitcoin
- Shares in bitcoin related companies
- Using bitcoin to buy shares etc etc

If BitShares aligns itself too closely with Bitcoin we may see a loss of confidence/drop in price of BitShares if the price of or confidence in bitcoin declines.
Perhaps Bitcoin shall be replaced by another alt currency, we wouldnt want BitShares to suffer from this unnecessarily.

One of the biggest strengths BitShares has, is that it will be able to function in the complete absence of Bitcoin (and every other alt coin, save bitshares coin). This is also its great strength over mastercoin.

My concern is that people wont see BitShares as a separate entity to bitcoin and thus the fate of BitShares is tied to Bitcoin and other currencies simply because of the name. And with BitShares we see the great economic importance of the names (where BitUSD should track USD because of the name coupled with market forces).

Will people be able to imagine a world that has BitShares but not Bitcoin...? Such a world is very possible but awkward to imagine, exposing BitShares to unnecessary and unmanaged risk.