Author Topic: Let's think about this  (Read 5093 times)

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
I'm looking forward to seeing how BitARS, BitBYR, BitCNY, BitCUC, BitCUP, BitVEF, etc. track the unofficial rates. (See ISO 4217 currency codes)

Offline CrazyCriple

• View Profile
Most shops in the US can accept bitAssets just with their phones, unfortunately they aren't doing enough volume to really need a better solution.

and so I think what CrazyCripple is saying is if there is a really simple wallet that doesn't really having trading or complex features

a wallet actually geared at non-crypto users. 

I think a lot of the population that HATES bitcoin today, will accept bitAssets tomorrow

that could be a powerful adoption tool

Exactly what I'm trying to say. If the BitAssets really track the real world price you could even call id dollars or euros on that front end. Think of the acceptance then!
And why not. Banks do the same.

Offline etherbroker

• View Profile
Most shops in the US can accept bitAssets just with their phones, unfortunately they aren't doing enough volume to really need a better solution.

and so I think what CrazyCripple is saying is if there is a really simple wallet that doesn't really having trading or complex features

a wallet actually geared at non-crypto users. 

I think a lot of the population that HATES bitcoin today, will accept bitAssets tomorrow

that could be a powerful adoption tool
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 03:57:42 pm by etherbroker »

Offline etherbroker

• View Profile
So as far as I understand Bitshares the real value of the system will be trading BitAssets. Shorting and longing Bitshares will be much too complicated for the standard user. There has to be an interface for this user where he can buy bitUSD or any other asset and send it to another user. This way I can go to my local store which accepts BitAssets to buy my coffee directly in my currency. Marketing should concentrate on BitAssets then right? BitAsset users won't care how the price is being tracked as long as it is the same or close to the real world asset.

Are we going in that direction?

Answer to this would be much appreciated as I now cannot sleep because I think I finally understand the huge potential of this system. :D

After really taking time to understand your post,

I do believe that BitAssets could be marketed very successfully.  In fact success could be immense.
(the strength of bitAssets is that you don't have to believe bitcoin is money, or any such thing.  You just have to believe the blockchain is mathematically sound, which even hardcore bitcoin skeptics will admit)

I think we should start brainstorming about a POS system.  If I can add this to my register I can accepts bit assets, like BitUSD or BitGold, a "petro dollar"  whatever.

Problem is, all the POS systems out there won't let you just add some hardware or code to it.'

Any solutions?

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
There is a GUI being developed to interact with the market and put in bids/shorts for BitUSD. There are some screenshots floating around (looks quite promising). And yes after acquiring BitAssets you can send them on to a merchant's address for example.

It doesn't look promising but its a start. The GUI needs to be configurable. It needs to be skinnable and extensible.

Well said  +5%

What do you guys think of my idea of marketing two products (Bitshares for traders and BitAssets for normal users)?
That way you could leave all the complicated stuff out of a video for example and make it more or less fool proof and focus on the real world like paying in your own currency but with all the benefits and none of the flaws of bitCoin. Video has to be in a format like this in my opinion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F97a-SlOTyY (I know the guy who mad this, if I3 needs an animator)

customers have to be excited about the features and how easy it is. We should not talk about the prediction market and all its features. This should be separate in my opinion.

sanity check?

Here is a solution, since a lot of traders are miners let's market directly to miners.
Read https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=3587.0 also let's consider putting ads on mining pools and making videos geared toward miners. These are people who have a lot of money and who make up the bulk of the trading and speculating community.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:13:25 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline yellowecho

But because BitUSD will be a function of Bitshares, do we know how fast transactions can confirm and if a POS system is viable?  I really think this is a knockout slam dunk grand slam if we could expect good transaction speeds.

Once Ripple consensus is added, I think transactions could be nearly instantaneous.  Though I think I've read somewhere that Bytemaster said 5 minute transactions.... so I dunno 
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline CrazyCriple

• View Profile
Look, you do not have to be a good salesman to "convince" a business to take BitUSD.

I just pondered today what this project is doing.

Any business in America has to be slightly crazy to NOT take BitUSD.

And that is incredible.

But because BitUSD will be a function of Bitshares, do we know how fast transactions can confirm and if a POS system is viable?  I really think this is a knockout slam dunk grand slam if we could expect good transaction speeds.

100% agree with you. But as I see it we need a bigger userbase to make this happen.

Offline etherbroker

• View Profile
Look, you do not have to be a good salesman to "convince" a business to take BitUSD.

I just pondered today what this project is doing.

Any business in America has to be slightly crazy to NOT take BitUSD.

And that is incredible.

Offline CrazyCriple

• View Profile
There is a GUI being developed to interact with the market and put in bids/shorts for BitUSD. There are some screenshots floating around (looks quite promising). And yes after acquiring BitAssets you can send them on to a merchant's address for example.

It doesn't look promising but its a start. The GUI needs to be configurable. It needs to be skinnable and extensible.

Well said  +5%

What do you guys think of my idea of marketing two products (Bitshares for traders and BitAssets for normal users)?
That way you could leave all the complicated stuff out of a video for example and make it more or less fool proof and focus on the real world like paying in your own currency but with all the benefits and none of the flaws of bitCoin. Video has to be in a format like this in my opinion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F97a-SlOTyY (I know the guy who mad this, if I3 needs an animator)

customers have to be excited about the features and how easy it is. We should not talk about the prediction market and all its features. This should be separate in my opinion.

sanity check?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:17:49 am by CrazyCriple »

Offline fuzzy

Yep...Dom is a badass and he and his team are working on precisely this. 

now THAT is a wonderful idea...
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile

[/quote

I agree. There really needs to be some innovation with GUI. Many people will be won or lost by GUI alone. I hope the GUI designer is up for the job.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline phoenix

• View Profile
Things will really start taking off when businesses start accepting bit-USD as a form of payment. Then everyone will be creating new wallet interfaces, the value of bitshares will grow rapidly, and it'll start to gain credibility as a currency.
Protoshares: Pg5EhSZEXHFjdFUzpxJbm91UtA54iUuDvt
Bitmessage: BM-NBrGi2V3BZ8REnJM7FPxUjjkQp7V5D28

Offline CrazyCriple

• View Profile
If the system is a success (between other things meaning that BitUSD is actually correlated to USD), I personally think there will be people making the meat space USD directly tradable/exchangeable for BitUSD.

BUT

The BTS X do not target and or make possible this feature in itself!
i.e. Somebody else will have to make this USD BitUSD possible .And probably more than one person/entity will.

Going long (or longing as you call it) is not that hard of a concept – it simply means buying something. For now you can buy BitUSD only with BTXs.

I hope you still sleep well after learning this details 

Thank you very much.. I think the missing pieces are finally connecting in my brain :)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
If the system is a success (between other things meaning that BitUSD is actually correlated to USD), I personally think there will be people making the meat space USD directly tradable/exchangeable for BitUSD.

BUT

The BTS X do not target and or make possible this feature in itself!
i.e. Somebody else will have to make this USD BitUSD possible .And probably more than one person/entity will.

Going long (or longing as you call it) is not that hard of a concept – it simply means buying something. For now you can buy BitUSD only with BTXs.

I hope you still sleep well after learning this details 
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.