Author Topic: Comment on article  (Read 2715 times)

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
You're right. Conspiratorial attitude definitely has its place. However, with regard to the question of whether other actors in this space are deliberately trying to put Invictus in the shadow, I think there are so many other factors in play that a potential conspiracy is a tiny footnote in the overall story of how Invictus has positioned itself.

That's what they want you to think.    ;)

More seriously, though, buzz is nice, but profit is better. The only thing that ultimately matters is whether the project enables participants to become wealthy. (And, if that makes them feel guilty, they can give their money away to charity.)

I remember when BeOS was all the rage, and Jean-Louis Gassée was IT's rockstar CEO answer to John Delorean. I even set up a webhosting service on my BeBox, in anticipation of it becoming the new Apple operating system. Alas, buzz was not enough.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
You're right. Conspiratorial attitude definitely has its place. However, with regard to the question of whether other actors in this space are deliberately trying to put Invictus in the shadow, I think there are so many other factors in play that a potential conspiracy is a tiny footnote in the overall story of how Invictus has positioned itself.

One factor is that bytemaster has continually been ahead of the game, and as such has been facing incredulous stares when presenting his ideas. Another factor is the question of mining and the perceived threat and denigration that bitcoin users and especially miners might feel. Third is the lack of connections and viral, grass-roots campaigning.

Blanks have their place when one needs attention. I feel that Invictus has not yet really wanted attention. Hopefully this will work out even so, as it is only now that real products are beginning to emerge anyway. At any rate, when the new site hits there will be no more excuses to being lesser known than NXT/MSC/ETH, and if there is a lack of Bitshares buzz 2 weeks from now, I'll be very aggressive in pointing out what I think should be done.

/until then!  ;)

Offline fuzzy

Absolutely poignant assertion.  However, one has to ask if the buzz is necessary.  I often feel a lack of respect for the developers and communities that come out saying "this is a bitcoin killer"...etc precisely due to the fact that there is no working or innovative product.  I was at one point exactly in the same camp, but one has to wonder...is it better instead to let the polished product come to market and spearhead the viral buzz with actual bullets in the magazine?  or is it better to use blanks and hope it gets the same kind of attention in the long-run?

Not sure I can answer these question. 

On another note, I do understand the point of being "conspiratorial" as useless.  At the same time, counter propaganda has its place...does it not?  Many people warned of Hitler's "conspiracy" to murder millions of the jewish population...how many they saved has never been quantified, but I am certain that unpopular act (at the time) saved some people who otherwise would not have questioned the status quo or were in pure denial. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:02:18 am by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Conspiratorial attitude is useless. If you believe in the power of economics it's all about private individuals acting in their own interest while still pressuring in your desired direction. Invictus has clearly failed on this point with regard to creating a community buzz. Soon, however, the golden goose will start pumping out golden eggs and people will (hopefully) become attracted to the light. Unfortunately, the other teams have already scooped up many of the skilled coders, promoters, and big-shot connections, and forged social bonds of commitment and trust that grow stronger every day. This will be hard (but not impossible) to break by sheer force of good official products and marketing.

Bytemaster once said something along the lines that the overall narrative will begin to conspire in our favor over time. I say we hurry it along a bit with some grassroots action after the new site is released.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:42:45 pm by CLains »

Offline fuzzy

maybe you didn't pay them enough for a mention...seems "conspiratorial", but human nature often is.  I mean, really, how do you miss BitShares and still cover all these others? 

It is really getting hard to believe that people are unaware of this project yet aware of the proof of concepts...Perhaps he doesn't own any. 

Maybe we should ask him how we can tip him in BitShares instead of Bitcoin?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:14:04 am by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Bytemaster clearly is a beast awaiting his time.

I predict the moment BitUSD works, bytemaster will go supernova.

Offline johncitizen

• View Profile

Offline CLains

• View Profile
It means you're doing it wrong. What? Well, clearly the ideas are good enough.

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
Ah, good. Finally someone realizes that BTS is not merely an altcoin, unlike all of the systems listed in the article above.

;)

bitbro

Hopefully, in a post contract society ego won't try to get in the way of innovation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:42:05 pm by bitbro »

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.