Author Topic: My visit to I3: Status update and thoughts  (Read 7283 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Thx for your thoughts and your update
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline unimercio

• The opportunity of a lifetime comes by every 7 day
    • View Profile
    • Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)
  • BitShares: unimercio
If any lurkers are thinking of focusing full-time on BitShares projects, don't rule out South Florida as a relocation option.

+5% the winters warm and the summers hot and humid (as are the women). Code toad heaven !
Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)

Offline jae208

• View Profile
Toast, are you going to work full time for invictus on bitshares domain?

Right now I'm in school, so only part-time. After graduation I will most likely be working full-time all summer. Afterwards I'm still not sure since I have a very compelling job offer starting in October, but it's certainly possible I'd ditch that and join I3 instead.

+5%
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

Thanks for the trip report toast, great work.

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
Best post I read recently, very fruitful.  I really hope the young toast would join 3I as an employee.
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
If any lurkers are thinking of focusing full-time on BitShares projects, don't rule out South Florida as a relocation option.

bitbro

Don't hurt Daniel's feelings Toast!

Make INVIncible-caCTUS the EPIC-enter of the CryptoWorld, Bitcoin 2.0, Captialism 3000! ReImagine (tm) all the Bitshares MEmes with your Distributed Bank, HeXchange and Keyhotee; lay back with yur BitUSD on a distributed tropical island and drink delicious Decentralized BitShares 420 PTS/AGS juice with Flux Capacitor electrolytes and Bingo on a blockchain.

Had to read that twice ^ haha clever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Don't hurt Daniel's feelings Toast!

Make INVIncible-caCTUS the EPIC-enter of the CryptoWorld, Bitcoin 2.0, Captialism 3000! ReImagine (tm) all the Bitshares MEmes with your Distributed Bank, HeXchange and Keyhotee; lay back with yur BitUSD on a distributed tropical island and drink delicious Decentralized BitShares 420 PTS/AGS juice with Flux Capacitor electrolytes and Bingo on a blockchain.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:17:42 pm by CLains »

bitbro

To be fair to Toast, his other opportunity is a highly sought after employer and one whom has also tried to recruit me.  Obliviously I made my choice ;)

That said, anyone who would go work a 9 to 5 job in one of the highest taxed cities in the USA when alternatives are available is looking a lifetime in the rat race.

If you want toast, probably best not to patronize any of his potential decisions; that being said, he could really stimulate these projects and we could really benefit from him going full time.

Offline bytemaster

To be fair to Toast, his other opportunity is a highly sought after employer and one whom has also tried to recruit me.  Obliviously I made my choice ;)

That said, anyone who would go work a 9 to 5 job in one of the highest taxed cities in the USA when alternatives are available is looking a lifetime in the rat race.   

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil

Afterwards I'm still not sure since I have a very compelling job offer starting in October, but it's certainly possible I'd ditch that and join I3 instead.

When BitShares becomes the next transistor, printing press, internet, <insert revolutionary technology here>, could you really sleep at nights if you turned down an opportunity to work full-time with invictus? ;)

Excellent update, thanks.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
@ Toast, when you say "school" you mean "high school" or university? How old are you?

University. I'm 20.

Too modest!  One of the very top-tier computer science universities.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Excellent, crunchy Toast.

A toast to Toast!  :D

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
@ Toast, when you say "school" you mean "high school" or university? How old are you?

University. I'm 20.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
@ Toast, when you say "school" you mean "high school" or university? How old are you? I am only asking out of curiosity. Either way I am amazed how many genious minds exist out there and I am very happy I am following you guys since the beggining...

I am in my mid 30s, i have studied economics, work as a Treasurer in a company and still can't follow not only your tech discussions (which is normal since my IT knowledge is crap) but also your economic discussions some times...

For what is worth, I would definitelly choose to work for I3 rather any other company in the world right now. These guys will change the financial structure of our world. And if they don't it will be a hell of a ride. And with your skills if I3 fails, I am sure you will be able to find easyly a work in any company you choose in the future.

Life is short and if you are so young I suggest take the risk...I am in my mid 30s and I still haven't managed to support a good life and have some money aside, just because I was always very risk averse...

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline thistome

• View Profile

Offline oco101

• View Profile
Thanks for your feedback!!! You should go with Invictus for sure we need you there !!! Easy decision!!!  If it will work this is history making , so I'll say it's worthwhile taking the risk   :) !!!!! 

Offline toast

• View Profile

Right now I'm in school, so only part-time. After graduation I will most likely be working full-time all summer. Afterwards I'm still not sure since I have a very compelling job offer starting in October, but it's certainly possible I'd ditch that and join I3 instead.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Pixar

• View Profile

Offline rysgc

• View Profile
    • DACZine.com
Thanks Toast, really good to see such comprehensive update.
DACZine.com - Receive all the latest DAC and BitShares community news straight to your inbox. Signup here or Submit news

Offline toast

• View Profile
Follow-up from this thread: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=3420.0

This past week I visited invictus. I got to know Dan, Stan, Pam, and Arlen, and also briefly met Dan N and Eric V. Here are my thoughts, from best to worst:

Major confidence boost: Future I3 DACs (not BTS X)

Dan worked on refactoring the BTS X code into a "shell DAC" which is easily extensible. While he did this I used this new shell to work on BTS DNS. The ease with which I was able to implement an MVP (well, not actually "viable" without tests/a client/CLI/RPC, but still) gives me great confidence that there will be a critical point after which we'll be seeing many new DACs in the same way we see tons of new BTC clones every month. Arlen will be working on the Lotto DAC while documenting the process to make it super easy for other developers to follow. Eric V and possibly another recruit both have networking experience and will be working on the hard parts (from my perspective) of the client which will be used by all DACs.

Minor confidence boost: Business Development & Marketing

This stuff is largely invisible to the outside community (as it should be - only engineering should have open WIPs IMO) and so hearing the stuff Stan, Brian, Greg, and Charles were working on was really reassuring. I'm not one to judge how effective all this work is going to be, but it suffices to say that if the rest of the team is half as good at what they do as Dan is at engineering then Q2 should be great for AGS/PTS holders.

Minor confidence loss: BTS X

This is by *far* the most complex DAC idea that invictus has and unforunately the community should not expect a feature-complete product in Q1. Since Dan has already mentioned it elsewhere, I suppose it's safe to say that you should expect XT to launch pretty soon but without any market functionality - this chain will test TAPOS and other non-market mechanics and will be the snapshot for BTS X chains with the real X functionality. The good news is that this means the chance of reset is very low so everyone can trade shares in future X chains without fear. Q2 went from "definitely" to "if nothing major goes wrong" for having a fully-featured BTS X chain.

Note that while this is a drop in confidence my confidence is still high - I will be buying XTS like crazy if the price drops below pre-snapshot levels after the shares are made liquid.

Major Minor confidence loss: Keyhotee

EDIT: Dan N has written a response here, it seems like I3 has switched gears to p2p client and blockchain code and I just missed the memo.

Previously, I had written:
This really left a bad taste in my mouth. We are approaching 3 months delay for having a blockchain launched. The scariest part is that Dan L agrees that having a blockchain + client is more important than having a UI with mail and chat system, AND thinks it would not take him very much time to do this. (I still would prefer he works on the DACs and not keyhotee though). What gives? There's gotta be some systemic problem within I3 that I could not deduce. Communication issues? Internal politics? Lack of trust? No idea, but it left me scared and confused.

I've brought this up a few times in the forum and by email and have been blown off every time. I have two suggestions for pressuring I3 on this, after which I'm giving up on Keyhotee.
1) This poll (also a chance to see if maybe my opinion is just wrong)
2) From now on, everyone make it clear whether you are talking about Keyhotee-the-ID-system or Keyhotee-the-app. For example:

"Why isn't KID ready yet?"
"Well there were some problems with the mail system..."
"No, I don't care about the app or extensions, I mean KID, why isn't it ready yet?"
"Well founder registration isn't done yet"
"Ah ok, how can we move that along?"

I know at least one outside engineer who wants to work on keyhotee integration but is blocked because there is no client. Given that I3 is short on talent this is a huge deal. For every skilled c++ network engineer there are 100 HTML5/JS engineers who can whip up a UI in no time. How long did BTC exist without a UI? My opinion is that starting Keyhotee App without a blockchain already launched was a huge mistake and I3 needs to cut their losses immediately and get Dan N's team on launching a blockchain with CLI/RPC access ASAP.

Questions from previous thread:

* Can we move part of the AGS funds into a multi-sig controlled by people outside of invictus?
* How are you going to most effectively allow proper utilization of the funds raised from AGS?

Discussed ad neauseam in other threads.

* Can we please get a response in this thread: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=3349.0 ? I've emailed several I3 members asking to get Brian in here and there is no response. Read the whole thing!

After my visit and seeing the intensity of the planned marketing effort I am much more comfortable with the idea of letting Brian do "real-world" marketing and letting the forum self-organize marketing efforts for other online communities.

* A (realistic) timeframe for completion of Keyhotee
* A (realistic) timeframe for completion of BitShares X

Partially addressed above. My guess is this month for XT and Q2 for BTS X with a market. For keyhotee, I have no idea, see above.

* We need pretty and logical GUI's to make the software appealing to a broader audience

IDK, my personal opinion is that we should let 3rd parties do this.

* More details on DAC development kits / events / tutorials...Would be awesome to have a simple demo DAC to our disposal

Addressed above, Dan and Arlen are working on exactly this right now.

* More detail on the new website which should be launched this month as far as I remember

I think March 21st is still the target date, I saw a preview of the new site and it looks like a reasonable target.

* A roadmap of the marketing plan and activities

Not sure.

* ...Perhaps someone else can answer this, but: In one, easy to understand sentence; What is the competitive advantage BitShares has compared to all the other competitors? (i.e.Eethereum, colored coins, Mastercoin, ripple, NXT, Counterparty)

The short answer is, each DAC is specialized and profitable. CC, Ripple, MSC, and XCP are all just IOU trading platforms, BitShares Me is their competitor. Ethereum is like a DAC prototyping platform OR platform for non-profit-seeking DAOs to use without having to do lots of work. Any profitable business model will want to move off of their blockchain.

* How are Daniel and Stan related?
* From a philosophical perspective, what are the biggest challenges that keep you up at night?
* From a technical perspective, what are the biggest challenges that keep you up at night?

Answered by Stan in the other thread

* To each I3 employee - If you could have any mediocre superpower, what would it be?

I forgot to ask this, what a shame =P

* A lot more documentation
* A lot more specifications

Arlen is working on this.

* How many developers  are working full times for 3I ?

Right now - 3? 4?

* Any new employees hire lately ? 

Eric V, then there are 2 or 3 potential recruits

* What exactly Arlen del Castillo is working on right know ?

Documentation, mostly. Also some recruiting.

Conclusion:
Overall a very positive experience. I am glad I visited and am more excited than ever.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:10:39 am by toast »