Author Topic: DNS thread on bitcointalk.  (Read 10059 times)

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
There is only one TLD, not yet decided. I want ".web". So you will register a domain "hackfisher" and the user will access it with "hackfisher.web", the same way they go to "google.com".

Is that necessary?  Can the domain name not be simply something like http://bob, http://toast, etc.?

Offline SuanBing

• View Profile
    • Bitshares News
How about make a reserve price option to protect domain ower on auction?

I'm guessing BitShares DNS is basically decentralized godaddy+sedo?

BitsharesNews.com
我的微博
pts: PkyZq51PFLHonjzKdUDunzA52TDMR2tRrn

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Auction goes until nobody bids for at least 3 days. (Exact number could change but that's the idea).
Then that would have to include a minimum raise or something (x 1.1 of current price or something).

.com .us .de etc. wouldn't be possible though I guess?

Can you do any ".xxx" you want?

Do not completely understand the mechanics of the domain name system.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Adding it to the list of bumpable threads on Asana :)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Auction goes until nobody bids for at least 3 days. (Exact number could change but that's the idea).

There is only one TLD, not yet decided. I want ".web". So you will register a domain "hackfisher" and the user will access it with "hackfisher.web", the same way they go to "google.com".

domains.bitshares.org is just one place you could go to get the extension. Have you ever used a browser extension? You just have to download it once from somewhere. It's like an app.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions?utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk-ext&utm_medium=ha
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline HackFisher

• View Profile
1. If a domain name have not been owned by anyone yet, can I buy it with any price I want?
You can pay any initial bid and that starts the auction. The domain will go to the winner of the auction.
2. If I have bought one domain name with my address, how can I bind it with my IP address, the DNS A record is in blockchain?
When you own a name you can do a simple transaction to update its value which is just a JSON blob. Conventions should quickly emerge as soon as the first browser extension is developed.
Do people need to manual config the DNS in the very beginning before accessing my domain name?
People will need a browser extension. Chrome and firefox have 1-click install, users just have to visit domains.bitshares.org once and click one button, then they have access to the new TLD.

How long will the auction take, one block?
What you mean about the name I bought, a TLD like ".org", or a domain like "bitshares.org"?
Will domains.bitshares.org be a central point of failure, what is its role in the DNS?
Thanks.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
1. If a domain name have not been owned by anyone yet, can I buy it with any price I want?
You can pay any initial bid and that starts the auction. The domain will go to the winner of the auction.
2. If I have bought one domain name with my address, how can I bind it with my IP address, the DNS A record is in blockchain?
When you own a name you can do a simple transaction to update its value which is just a JSON blob. Conventions should quickly emerge as soon as the first browser extension is developed.
Do people need to manual config the DNS in the very beginning before accessing my domain name?
People will need a browser extension. Chrome and firefox have 1-click install, users just have to visit domains.bitshares.org once and click one button, then they have access to the new TLD.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline HackFisher

• View Profile
Hi toast,

Great to hear the new progress of DNS, I have some questions:

We're not after any namespaces except for one TLD.
If I have bought one domain name with my address, how can I bind it with my IP address, the DNS A record is in blockchain?

3. What's the TLD we are after, how can we get it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:30:27 am by HackFisher »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile