Author Topic: TLD discussion  (Read 19441 times)

Offline bytemaster

If BitShares DNS is to be adopted as widely as possible it must feel like it is unbranded, global and for the use of everyone. For this reason "bts" is an unsuitable name for the TLD. To someone browsing "bts" websites, it could seem like being in a small, restricted, proprietary corner of the internet.

It is necessary to sacrifice BitShares brand awareness in favour of the wider adoption which may arise from using a TLD which sounds more far reaching and all inclusive (such as "p2p"). If DNS systems are created by many other parties using various blockchains, we want ours to come across not as one of many brand options, but as the new adopted standard.

Does anyone think it's worth considering a re-branding of "BitShares DNS" itself? Imagine an average person or business wanting a domain with all the advantages offered by blockchain technology.
Would they, for example, rather give their money to "BitShares DNS", "Peer-2-peer DNS" or "Open DNS"? I'm not sure...

We would like the concept of BitShares itself to be perceived as far reaching and all inclusive.   Your points are valid, but only so long as BitShares is perceived as proprietary.   If BitShares DNS were viewed like Bitcoin DNS then we will have achieved our goal.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
If BitShares DNS is to be adopted as widely as possible it must feel like it is unbranded, global and for the use of everyone. For this reason "bts" is an unsuitable name for the TLD. To someone browsing "bts" websites, it could seem like being in a small, restricted, proprietary corner of the internet.

It is necessary to sacrifice BitShares brand awareness in favour of the wider adoption which may arise from using a TLD which sounds more far reaching and all inclusive (such as "p2p"). If DNS systems are created by many other parties using various blockchains, we want ours to come across not as one of many brand options, but as the new adopted standard.

Does anyone think it's worth considering a re-branding of "BitShares DNS" itself? Imagine an average person or business wanting a domain with all the advantages offered by blockchain technology.
Would they, for example, rather give their money to "BitShares DNS", "Peer-2-peer DNS" or "Open DNS"? I'm not sure...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:25:28 pm by Hadrian »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline JoeyD

Something I just thought of... although I know that "P2P" mostly has international recognition for its meaning, it pretty much only works in English.  "Peer-to-Peer" = "P2P" because "to" sounds like "two".  I don't think that this relationship exists in any other language.

Apart from English it doesn't work in any of the languages I'm familiar with, but unless you use something like latin, you won't be able to find a character combination that works internationally.

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
Something I just thought of... although I know that "P2P" mostly has international recognition for its meaning, it pretty much only works in English.  "Peer-to-Peer" = "P2P" because "to" sounds like "two".  I don't think that this relationship exists in any other language.
Pei5BrnEUqcCuUdffNZmBPL3rg6duj3vnU

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Let's ask ourselves what the heart and soul of this movement is:

.dcn

Decentralization in all things.

Seeing .dcn would send a powerful message: "This is secure, safe, trusted. No gov/banks/big corp here."

Added bonus, "something-dot-dcn" rolls off the tongue rather nicely. :)

Offline bytemaster

Lets identify the use cases that we need this to apply to:

1) Someone entering a URL in their browser... they want the link to be short and simple.
2) Someone linking to a page from another site.... they don't care what the URL is.
3) When you are being linked to from another page many users may not even have the plugin yet, so backward compatibility is a must.

All of that said, there is no reason why there must only be 'one' solution.   We could simply state the following:

${name}.bitshar.es will automatically redirect to ${name}.dac or ${name}.p2p

Because we have been suggesting that DAC be viewed as a new type of Inc or Org... we can use it to represent 'dac space' names. 

I also like the following extensions:

.lib -> liberty
.nsa -> no (government) strings attached ;)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline JoeyD

.dac only makes sense if only dacs are using those names.

I think it might be best to choose an extension that makes clear where these names live. In that case .bts or .i3 or something like that would not be a bad choice.

Also since all urls will be using said extension, would that not imply we don't need them at all or just filter them out? Come to think of it, why do we need a .foo extension? Personally I think of url's more like addresses, so to me a large to small way of describing it sounds more logical. Then again I don't know if there are limiting factors to prevent using something like ((www.)bts.)myAwesomeDAC where one or two parts in parentheses could be implied and not actually need to be typed in.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 09:11:23 am by JoeyD »

Offline Pixar

• View Profile
p2p since it would encompass the entire decentralized mindset

Offline Overthetop

My choice is .dac.

Because there will be more and more dacs in the future ,and these dacs will change the world.

So, let .dac become a name of era.

:)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 01:24:40 am by Overthetop »
个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline yellowecho

.dac or .bts seem to be good options as they'll also serve as publicity for the bts/dac concepts.

.dac and .bts would be good for maintaining brand identity.
The official Bitshares DNS could be .bts while forks or third-party DNS DACs could use .dac.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline svk

.dac or .bts seem to be good options as they'll also serve as publicity for the bts/dac concepts.

I kinda like .ok myself, not sure if anyones already suggested that. It's short and recognized over most of the world to express agreement, and could be catchy :) Doesn't look like it's already taken..
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline HackFisher

• View Profile
${YOUR_BITSHARES_DNS_NAME}.bitshar.es

There is no way I'm going to type that out every time, also .es is taken.

We own bitshar.es so we could set this up as a backward compatibility layer...  Perhaps I side tracked this thread...

My vote is .dac or .bts

bitshar.es is a good idea for those who don't install chrome app at first, maybe the server can help them mapping to there target IP (and reminding them to install the extention), just like Github blog does, e.g. hackfisher.github.com .

But I think this is another form of "register TLD from ICANN", instead, is "register a domain" to replace the role of TLD?

Edit:
But it might need efforts to mantain such a bitshar.es server, DNS DAC would not pay for it if it is not part of the DAC, because router is not in the design?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:48:41 am by HackFisher »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline JA

• View Profile
Why not .ip ?
Is it already taken ? (i guess  :( ) -- checked it and it is unused
it's simple and it represents the Itnternet Protocol and the whole idea behind a dns system.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:21:21 pm by jabbajabba »

Offline bytemaster

We own bitshar.es so we could set this up as a backward compatibility layer...  Perhaps I side tracked this thread...

My vote is .dac or .bts

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bytemaster

Offline fuzzy

Perhaps using a system such as the gTLD from ICANN: http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/about/program

And creating categories based on geography or industry.

Ex:  .newyork
       .restaurant

very much like this...though it might make things more difficult to remember if there is no real standard convention.

Meaning just "the" Bitshares TLD, or various TLD's that might be useful if implemented?

.nomen
.nm
.key
.ident
.comp

I love .key...plays upon both Security Keys (implying the power of encryption) and also indirectly markets Keyhotee. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:57:26 pm by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline HackFisher

• View Profile
We are not constrained in *any way* by the existing system, we just want to play nice with other namespaces and make it somewhat familiar to users.

Will it be greater if we can be compatible with existing DNS system, so that someone could setup a traditional DNS server (connect to chain as part of db), others can set to this DNS to replace original.

As in this way, it could be possible for the Internet to migrate from traditional dns tech to DAC-based DNS without influence user experience and user's habit.

I always wonder that the revolution can happen silently and smoothly, and it could be more powerful.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline yellowecho

.bts!
.dac isn't bad either.
.www would be fun, heh
696c6f766562726f776e696573

bitbro

.dac +5%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
 +5% for the .p2p

I have some silly questions and I might not been able to express them correctly:

If I buy or create the domain name zeus.p2p will this be reflected in the usual internet world? I mean will there be zeus.p2p as an internet domain name and someone might want to pay me $ to get that name? I assume yes but then...
I can buy google.p2p (which doesn't exist) and definitely someone will buy it at some time and if not anyone in here, google will do so in the future...

Again apologies if this is stupid but I want to have it clear in my head of what we are doing...

Offline toast

• View Profile
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline jae208

• View Profile
.bns for Bit Domain Shares
.tst  for Toast
.bym  for Bytemaster
.dae   for decentralized autonomous entity
.soc  for social network
.bit  we might make better use of .bit than namecoin can
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline SuanBing

• View Profile
    • Bitshares News
I like .dac
BitsharesNews.com
我的微博
pts: PkyZq51PFLHonjzKdUDunzA52TDMR2tRrn

Offline toast

• View Profile
We are not constrained in *any way* by the existing system, we just want to play nice with other namespaces and make it somewhat familiar to users.

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
Unfortunately, .name is already in use since 2001:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.name

There are ICANN applications for .free:
https://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/viewstatus

.key looks pretty catchy and makes sense.

Using two-letter name is problematic since those have always been reserved for ccTLDs.

Storing names in UTF-8 can cause compatibility problems, it's safer to require that all names including non-ASCII characters be converted to punycode first. Many applications and standards assume that Unicode domain name is equivalent to its punycode representation, and BTS DNS resolvers should always treat them as equivalent. Spoofing names using homoglyphs can be a problem; traditional TLDs normaly solve that by restricting allowed characters to one or several writing systems, BitShares DNS is for global use and can't easily solve that (I think Firefox shows domain names in punycode when they are not considered safe).

Wow, I did not realize that all 2-letter TLDs had been reserved for future ccTLDs.  Makes sense, I guess, but damn.  Also, the committee that approves new TLDs will apparently turn down ones that are very similar to existing TLD's, so .nam is probably not an option, and even .nom might be turned down.

As for the rest of your points, I guess it comes down to how compatible Bitshares DNS is aiming to be with the existing DNS system.  I do think that the existing system is understandably but needlessly tied to Latin characters, and a "native" Chinese/Russian/Thai/Arabic/etc. DNS system that doesn't rely on transliteration would be welcome.  Then again, the existing DNS system has quite a network effect going (pun intended) and it would be very hard to dislodge from its perch.

Offline etherbroker

• View Profile
.bts is good but we should take .dac too

remember bts will trade all over the internet on exchanges, so the letters "bts" will come to mean "bitshares" pretty fast

Offline lynx

• View Profile
Unfortunately, .name is already in use since 2001:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.name

There are ICANN applications for .free:
https://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/viewstatus

.key looks pretty catchy and makes sense.

Using two-letter name is problematic since those have always been reserved for ccTLDs.

Storing names in UTF-8 can cause compatibility problems, it's safer to require that all names including non-ASCII characters be converted to punycode first. Many applications and standards assume that Unicode domain name is equivalent to its punycode representation, and BTS DNS resolvers should always treat them as equivalent. Spoofing names using homoglyphs can be a problem; traditional TLDs normaly solve that by restricting allowed characters to one or several writing systems, BitShares DNS is for global use and can't easily solve that (I think Firefox shows domain names in punycode when they are not considered safe).

Offline toast

• View Profile
Good idea, why not just .name?
(I should have said, 4 or under. Another thing I thought of was .free, as in freedom).

It's not design-by-committee if I'm the only one writing code. I would happily cede some design decision authority to other devs who join in.

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
My original idea was for a rather strict character set but this is something that needs to be discussed thoroughly.

You should interpret my post in a way that still makes sense if you actually disallow periods in the name. That is, I was making a general argument about the  role of TLDs and how "avoiding collisions" using TLDs is an artifact and not what would happen naturally if you remove the effect of the laws that are entangled with the current system.

Yes.  But my original reply was not so concerned with the "legalities" of .org vs. .com etc., but moreso that it allowed for a sort of self-sorting and the multiplication of the namespace across however many TLD's there were.  (Which, recall, back in the beginning there were only a few; .com, .net, .gov, .edu, .org, .mil, and .arpa.)  And that there could be multiple entities which would reasonably desire a given domain name, not only for "squatting" purposes.

Let's put it this way: DomainShares-the-namespace needs a name. No matter what, there is one DomainShares-the-namespace, no matter how you slice it.
Bonus challenge: Make it under 4 characters.

Ok, I again suggest:

.nm
.key

I think .nm is pretty recognizable as the root characters of name/nomen/nombre/etc. which means "name" to most Western languages, even non-Romance languages such as German and Russian.  I guess it is a problem in that it is also the abbreviation for a US state (New Mexico) and there already exists the 2nd-level domain .nm.us, which is used by official government entities in New Mexico.  I could see some potential for confusion there.  Perhaps .nom as an alternative?

I also think .key is pretty good, as a tie-in to Keyhotee and the idea that this system is maintained by way of public/private cryptographic keys.  It also has good mental images: a key unlocks a door, etc.  However, it is probably not as internationally oriented as .nm.

EDIT: I will also say, if the topic is "discussed thoroughly" then you might well end up with a design-by-committee, which doesn't work very well.  I would say, either start with the existing DNS rules and relax them somewhat; or allow all of UTF-8, and then restrict it somewhat.  Going a middle route of picking and choosing, and allowing this but not allowing that, is going to lead to nothing but confusion.  Think through all the options, but go with your gut, and don't allow it to get more complicated than you can handle.  Internationalization is notoriously difficult to work on.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 12:52:49 am by bitbadger »

Offline BldSwtTrs

• View Profile

Offline toast

• View Profile
Let's put it this way: DomainShares-the-namespace needs a name. No matter what, there is one DomainShares-the-namespace, no matter how you slice it.
Bonus challenge: Make it under 4 characters.

Offline toast

• View Profile
My original idea was for a rather strict character set but this is something that needs to be discussed thoroughly.

You should interpret my post in a way that still makes sense if you actually disallow periods in the name. That is, I was making a general argument about the  role of TLDs and how "avoiding collisions" using TLDs is an artifact and not what would happen naturally if you remove the effect of the laws that are entangled with the current system.

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
TLDs only exist to say, "which rules control this namespace"

I understand, and I get why this is a benefit of decentralized DNS, but my real point was simply to state that conflict over a given name within a given TLD does not merely occur due to "squatting" but can also occur due to legitimate conflicts not predicated upon bad actors.  These conflicts will arise in any system with a single TLD, and the existence of multiple TLD's can mitigate this problem somewhat.  If you've got to have a single TLD, might as well have a few, IMO.

Ok, as long as you acknowledge that what you are saying is basically "require everyone to pick one of the following suffixes" and "put in explicit logic for when there is a period in the name". Why not just let people register both "AAPL.web" vs "AAPL.org.web"? You don't want a "privileged" subset of the namespace which doesn't use periods?

It's just like how the different files on your computer are treated the same way by the operating system. User-space programs can enforce extra rules upon you like "I won't open any file that doesn't end with '.txt'" or "I will display files that end in '.exe' with a special icon". In this case, "I won't attempt a trademark takedown if your name ends with 'org'".

Well, ok, I can see that I was making some assumptions about the Bitshares DNS namespace and how it would be similar to existing DNS systems, but now that you have opened my eyes, I would like clarification of the naming rules, as currently envisioned. 

Will the full UTF-8 character set be permitted, or just a subset?  (I can see UTF-8 support possibly being make-or-break for any new DNS system due to the huge numbers of potential users in non-Latin-glyph-using markets, which are currently second-class citizens in the existing DNS model.  On the other hand, that leaves folks vulnerable to homograph attacks.) How many characters?  Non-printing characters?  Spaces, carriage returns?  Will there be a difference between "badger" and "badger " and " badger" and "  badger"? (That last one was entered two spaces, if you can't see it, I know HTML collapses multiple spaces and &nbsp; didn't work.)  What about other punctuation?  Will Yahoo! be different from Yahoo? 

While I can see the obvious benefits to having no restrictions built into the system, it is also a fact that many times people are more better off working within a comfortable, straightforward, and intuitive set of restrictions.

Offline toast

• View Profile

I understand, and I get why this is a benefit of decentralized DNS, but my real point was simply to state that conflict over a given name within a given TLD does not merely occur due to "squatting" but can also occur due to legitimate conflicts not predicated upon bad actors.  These conflicts will arise in any system with a single TLD, and the existence of multiple TLD's can mitigate this problem somewhat.  If you've got to have a single TLD, might as well have a few, IMO.

Ok, as long as you acknowledge that what you are saying is basically "require everyone to pick one of the following suffixes" and "put in explicit logic for when there is a period in the name". Why not just let people register both "AAPL.web" vs "AAPL.org.web"? You don't want a "privileged" subset of the namespace which doesn't use periods?

It's just like how the different files on your computer are treated the same way by the operating system. User-space programs can enforce extra rules upon you like "I won't open any file that doesn't end with '.txt'" or "I will display files that end in '.exe' with a special icon". In this case, "I won't attempt a trademark takedown if your name ends with 'org'".

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile
for educational institutions:

.uni
.hs
.gra
.pre
.mba
.phd

8)

Offline toast

• View Profile
Yeah a node is just a computer running "bitcoind". Pools have nothing to do with it, neither does mining.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
From above: BM mentioned that before about someone not from I3 lacuning the chain. Is it that always someone not from the US will launch the chain because of legal implications? And what does that actually mean "launch the chain" other than putting the open source code out there?

I3 will publish the source from the US. "Launch the chain" means run the first node and publish who to connect to.

Say we use .dac, what if some one registers the .dac TLD with ICANN? Or does ICANN come up with the new TDLs that are coing out right now?

If it happens while we're barely started, we sigh and switch to a different one.
If it happens after we get momentum... what happened when someone tried to trademark Bitcoin?

Ok. Got it.

Off topic: A node is just a miner that is mining on his own (running the full bitcond client in case of bitcoin) and not as part of a pool?

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile
Perhaps using a system such as the gTLD from ICANN: http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/about/program

And creating categories based on geography or industry.

Ex:  .newyork
       .restaurant

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile

Offline toast

• View Profile
From above: BM mentioned that before about someone not from I3 lacuning the chain. Is it that always someone not from the US will launch the chain because of legal implications? And what does that actually mean "launch the chain" other than putting the open source code out there?

I3 will publish the source from the US. "Launch the chain" means run the first node and publish who to connect to.

Say we use .dac, what if some one registers the .dac TLD with ICANN? Or does ICANN come up with the new TDLs that are coing out right now?

If it happens while we're barely started, we sigh and switch to a different one.
If it happens after we get momentum... what happened when someone tried to trademark Bitcoin?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Edit: Sorry to ask dumb questions. I just learn the most asking provokingly naive/dumb questions :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:06:12 pm by delulo »

Offline toast

• View Profile

Offline toast

• View Profile
This project is only after one namespace: Domains. The fact that there are many TLDs is an artifact of how traditional DNS works. When have you ever actually thought of "ah yes, xxx.org and xxx.com are two totally independent places on the internet"? The only times people use anything other than ".com" is to avoid a squatter or to use a clever pun ("invict.us  hurr hurr")
Namecoin's "all namespaces on one blockchain" approach isn't right. This is because each namespace has different supply/demand characteristics. BTS DNS should only be used for resolving names to IP addresses.

No, there are valid reasons to use other TLDs.  Yes, I think of the .org and .com as (usually) being two totally different organizations, although some companies may set up their own nonprofits and give the nonprofit a .org domain name.  Of course, this may have to do with my being involved in web development and domain names for over a decade now, but yes, I always think that, although I recognize that the general public might not.

"Squatter" isn't always the best way to look at things.  Sometimes there might be namespace collisions between perfectly valid entities that have no problem with each other in the real world, but in the limited space of a particular TLD, they do have a problem.

To give an example, there is AAPL, American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law.  There is AAPL, American Association of Petroleum Landmen.  There is AAPL, American Association of Private Lenders.  There is AAPL, American Artists Professional League.  There is AAPL, the Apple stock ticker on the NASDAQ.  Most of these could have valid claims to AAPL.org, while any of them could reasonably claim AAPL.com.

The fact that independent, non-infringing companies/names can exist in different locales/businesses in real life, but come into conflict in the DNS namespace (or similarly exclusive namespaces such as nationally recognized trademarks), is not a new idea.  See the Apple (Computer) vs. Apple (Corps) issue from back when Apple first started selling music in iTunes.

Meh, that all seems like an artifact of a previous age to me.
Remove the legal element and suddenly the name-collision-within-domain issue returns in full force. At that point different TLDs are just a different aesthetic for different names (AAPL-org vs Apple).

Imagine there were no TLDs, then someone made a law saying "and you can only end your domain name in 'org' if you are a non-profit". Now imagine that law was nonsense because DNS was worldwide and decentralized.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:53:30 pm by toast »

Offline toast

• View Profile
This project is only after one namespace: Domains. The fact that there are many TLDs is an artifact of how traditional DNS works. When have you ever actually thought of "ah yes, xxx.org and xxx.com are two totally independent places on the internet"? The only times people use anything other than ".com" is to avoid a squatter or to use a clever pun ("invict.us  hurr hurr")
Namecoin's "all namespaces on one blockchain" approach isn't right. This is because each namespace has different supply/demand characteristics. BTS DNS should only be used for resolving names to IP addresses.

No, there are valid reasons to use other TLDs.  Yes, I think of the .org and .com as (usually) being two totally different organizations, although some companies may set up their own nonprofits and give the nonprofit a .org domain name.  Of course, this may have to do with my being involved in web development and domain names for over a decade now, but yes, I always think that, although I recognize that the general public might not.

"Squatter" isn't always the best way to look at things.  Sometimes there might be namespace collisions between perfectly valid entities that have no problem with each other in the real world, but in the limited space of a particular TLD, they do have a problem.

To give an example, there is AAPL, American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law.  There is AAPL, American Association of Petroleum Landmen.  There is AAPL, American Association of Private Lenders.  There is AAPL, American Artists Professional League.  There is AAPL, the Apple stock ticker on the NASDAQ.  Most of these could have valid claims to AAPL.org, while any of them could reasonably claim AAPL.com.

The fact that independent, non-infringing companies/names can exist in different locales/businesses in real life, but come into conflict in the DNS namespace (or similarly exclusive namespaces such as nationally recognized trademarks), is not a new idea.  See the Apple (Computer) vs. Apple (Corps) issue from back when Apple first started selling music in iTunes.

Meh, that all seems like an artifact of a previous age to me.
Remove the legal element and suddenly the name-collision-within-domain issue returns in full force. At that point different TLDs are just a different aesthetic for different names (AAPL-org vs Apple).

Offline toast

• View Profile
.dns
.we

.dns is being used by the guy making DNSchain as a meta-tld to resolve blockchain domains. Not sure exactly how it works but I think he will register .dns with ICANN so that example.bit can exist "officially" as example.bit.dns

No, I was afraid that would case this confusion.
You would use it like normal, "example.dac" or whatever.

Just ignore that post.

So i still have to ask to get that...  All URLs that have a domain from BTS DNS will look like this: ....name."what we are looking for here".dns ? 

BM mentioned that before about someone not from I3 lacuning the chain. Is it that always someone not from the US will launch the chain because of legal implications? And what does that actually mean "launch the chain"?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
.dns
.we

.dns is being used by the guy making DNSchain as a meta-tld to resolve blockchain domains. Not sure exactly how it works but I think he will register .dns with ICANN so that example.bit can exist "officially" as example.bit.dns

So i still have to ask to get that...  All URLs that have a domain from BTS DNS will look like this: ....name."what we are looking for here".dns ? 

BM mentioned that before about someone not from I3 lacuning the chain. Is it that always someone not from the US will launch the chain because of legal implications? And what does that actually mean "launch the chain"?

Offline bobmaloney

"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
.dan hahaha love it

.we
 +5%

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
.say
.you
.see
.new
.get
.way

Offline toast

• View Profile

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
Meaning just "the" Bitshares TLD, or various TLD's that might be useful if implemented?

.nomen
.nm
.key
.ident
.comp

Offline toast

• View Profile
.dns
.we

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Offline Stereo Radiation

• View Profile
.dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline toast

• View Profile
What should BTS DNS's TLD be?

We probably can't use these awesome ideas:

* .bit  - gotta play nice with namecoin
* .web  - any lawyers care to weigh in? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.web
* no TLD  - have to be able to distinguish between searches in the omnibar and addresses, and have to distinguish between "test.com.tld" and "test.com"
* .dns  - planned meta-TLD used by DNSchain

Collecting good suggestions here:

* .bts
* .dac
* .blk
* .we
* .p2p
* .key
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:21:55 pm by toast »