Author Topic: TLD discussion  (Read 19437 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
This project is only after one namespace: Domains. The fact that there are many TLDs is an artifact of how traditional DNS works. When have you ever actually thought of "ah yes, xxx.org and xxx.com are two totally independent places on the internet"? The only times people use anything other than ".com" is to avoid a squatter or to use a clever pun ("invict.us  hurr hurr")
Namecoin's "all namespaces on one blockchain" approach isn't right. This is because each namespace has different supply/demand characteristics. BTS DNS should only be used for resolving names to IP addresses.

No, there are valid reasons to use other TLDs.  Yes, I think of the .org and .com as (usually) being two totally different organizations, although some companies may set up their own nonprofits and give the nonprofit a .org domain name.  Of course, this may have to do with my being involved in web development and domain names for over a decade now, but yes, I always think that, although I recognize that the general public might not.

"Squatter" isn't always the best way to look at things.  Sometimes there might be namespace collisions between perfectly valid entities that have no problem with each other in the real world, but in the limited space of a particular TLD, they do have a problem.

To give an example, there is AAPL, American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law.  There is AAPL, American Association of Petroleum Landmen.  There is AAPL, American Association of Private Lenders.  There is AAPL, American Artists Professional League.  There is AAPL, the Apple stock ticker on the NASDAQ.  Most of these could have valid claims to AAPL.org, while any of them could reasonably claim AAPL.com.

The fact that independent, non-infringing companies/names can exist in different locales/businesses in real life, but come into conflict in the DNS namespace (or similarly exclusive namespaces such as nationally recognized trademarks), is not a new idea.  See the Apple (Computer) vs. Apple (Corps) issue from back when Apple first started selling music in iTunes.

Meh, that all seems like an artifact of a previous age to me.
Remove the legal element and suddenly the name-collision-within-domain issue returns in full force. At that point different TLDs are just a different aesthetic for different names (AAPL-org vs Apple).

Imagine there were no TLDs, then someone made a law saying "and you can only end your domain name in 'org' if you are a non-profit". Now imagine that law was nonsense because DNS was worldwide and decentralized.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:53:30 pm by toast »
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline toast

• View Profile
This project is only after one namespace: Domains. The fact that there are many TLDs is an artifact of how traditional DNS works. When have you ever actually thought of "ah yes, xxx.org and xxx.com are two totally independent places on the internet"? The only times people use anything other than ".com" is to avoid a squatter or to use a clever pun ("invict.us  hurr hurr")
Namecoin's "all namespaces on one blockchain" approach isn't right. This is because each namespace has different supply/demand characteristics. BTS DNS should only be used for resolving names to IP addresses.

No, there are valid reasons to use other TLDs.  Yes, I think of the .org and .com as (usually) being two totally different organizations, although some companies may set up their own nonprofits and give the nonprofit a .org domain name.  Of course, this may have to do with my being involved in web development and domain names for over a decade now, but yes, I always think that, although I recognize that the general public might not.

"Squatter" isn't always the best way to look at things.  Sometimes there might be namespace collisions between perfectly valid entities that have no problem with each other in the real world, but in the limited space of a particular TLD, they do have a problem.

To give an example, there is AAPL, American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law.  There is AAPL, American Association of Petroleum Landmen.  There is AAPL, American Association of Private Lenders.  There is AAPL, American Artists Professional League.  There is AAPL, the Apple stock ticker on the NASDAQ.  Most of these could have valid claims to AAPL.org, while any of them could reasonably claim AAPL.com.

The fact that independent, non-infringing companies/names can exist in different locales/businesses in real life, but come into conflict in the DNS namespace (or similarly exclusive namespaces such as nationally recognized trademarks), is not a new idea.  See the Apple (Computer) vs. Apple (Corps) issue from back when Apple first started selling music in iTunes.

Meh, that all seems like an artifact of a previous age to me.
Remove the legal element and suddenly the name-collision-within-domain issue returns in full force. At that point different TLDs are just a different aesthetic for different names (AAPL-org vs Apple).
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline toast

• View Profile
.dns
.we

.dns is being used by the guy making DNSchain as a meta-tld to resolve blockchain domains. Not sure exactly how it works but I think he will register .dns with ICANN so that example.bit can exist "officially" as example.bit.dns

No, I was afraid that would case this confusion.
You would use it like normal, "example.dac" or whatever.

Just ignore that post.

So i still have to ask to get that...  All URLs that have a domain from BTS DNS will look like this: ....name."what we are looking for here".dns ? 

BM mentioned that before about someone not from I3 lacuning the chain. Is it that always someone not from the US will launch the chain because of legal implications? And what does that actually mean "launch the chain"?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
.dns
.we

.dns is being used by the guy making DNSchain as a meta-tld to resolve blockchain domains. Not sure exactly how it works but I think he will register .dns with ICANN so that example.bit can exist "officially" as example.bit.dns

So i still have to ask to get that...  All URLs that have a domain from BTS DNS will look like this: ....name."what we are looking for here".dns ? 

BM mentioned that before about someone not from I3 lacuning the chain. Is it that always someone not from the US will launch the chain because of legal implications? And what does that actually mean "launch the chain"?

Offline bobmaloney

"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile

Pei5BrnEUqcCuUdffNZmBPL3rg6duj3vnU

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
.dan hahaha love it

.we
 +5%

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
.say
.you
.see
.new
.get
.way

Offline toast

• View Profile

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
Meaning just "the" Bitshares TLD, or various TLD's that might be useful if implemented?

.nomen
.nm
.key
.ident
.comp
Pei5BrnEUqcCuUdffNZmBPL3rg6duj3vnU

Offline toast

• View Profile
.dns
.we

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Offline Stereo Radiation

• View Profile
.dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk