Author Topic: Allowable names discussion  (Read 5902 times)

Offline etherbroker

• View Profile
Wise decision on choosing .p2p

:)

Offline ppcholder

• View Profile
We're going with the standard domain charset right now (anything you can use for .com)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

bingo. other charset is wasting time. especially chinese character.

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
We're going with the standard domain charset right now (anything you can use for .com)

that's good. do you know why not set rules for keyhotee id?

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline alt

• View Profile
Lets establish the design goals:

1) support as many native languages as possible (Chinese)
2) prevent phishing attacks by allowing similar looking names.
3) backward compatibility

I put a high value on #3 which means that any name should be compatible with existing DNS systems.

Lastly, subdomains should be handled in the value section of the output and thus '.' is not permissible in the name.
dont's enable chinese languages,don't use utf8,because too many special charset
like chinese space " ", I don't think it's a good idea to enable this in the domain name.

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
I would suggest to add a hyphen or underscore, to allow a word-separator character that is not a period.  Plus there is the precedent of traditional DNS allowing hyphens, and traditional e-mail addresses allowing underscores.  So, one or the other would be nice.
Pei5BrnEUqcCuUdffNZmBPL3rg6duj3vnU

Offline ebit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: ebit
telegram:ebit521
https://weibo.com/ebiter

Offline alt

• View Profile
Should we enable the domains which have using now, like: .com, .org ......?
I think we should disable this now to avoid  prevent phishing attacks.

Offline toast

• View Profile
You can verify signatures for normal dns records

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
This may be overly ambitious (if that's a term we use around here), but what about reserving '.' as a subdomain delimiter, and '/' as a protocol and path delimiter, but allowing any other character sequence as a domain, no designated TLD required.  We could at least temporarily reserve/block all existing or already reserved TLDs until they can be ported to the BitShares DNS system, and the initial plugin would just propagate requests to those TLDs into the traditional DNS system.

To minimize loss of stake as a barrier to entry, it would be good if there were a way to seed the system with a snapshot of current domain ownership, but I don't yet see a good way to do this.

Offline toast

• View Profile
OHHH like you will just route requests to bitshar.es through your site as an alternative to getting the extension. Got it.

Offline bytemaster

Wait what? Are you saying it should be a valid subdomain you could use under bitshar.es? Then that directly contradicts requirement 1...

I do not believe all requirements can be met at once, and I submitted that #3 trumps #1 & #2

On the other hand... we can allow 'backward compatibility' for the subset of names that support it and other names that fall under #1 would only be resolvable with custom browser extensions.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
Wait what? Are you saying it should be a valid subdomain you could use under bitshar.es? Then that directly contradicts requirement 1...

Offline bytemaster

How exactly do you mean "backwards compatible with existing systems"? What legacy systems would this interact with? AFAIK this should only touch the browser extension. Do you mean it should look like a DNS server? That's up to whoever is hosting a node as a "dedicated DNS node" a la DNSchain to do, I guess we could make it easier by making the API expose the same information.

#2 is *really* tough if you want #1

Backward compatibility:

${YOUR_BITSHARES_DNS_NAME}.bitshar.es

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
How exactly do you mean "backwards compatible with existing systems"? What legacy systems would this interact with? AFAIK this should only touch the browser extension. Do you mean it should look like a DNS server? That's up to whoever is hosting a node as a "dedicated DNS node" a la DNSchain to do, I guess we could make it easier by making the API expose the same information.

#2 is *really* tough if you want #1