Author Topic: Bitcoin and Namecoin Appear in Draft ICANN Report – U.S. Plans to Relinquish Rem  (Read 6379 times)

Offline yellowecho

I think the bottom line is to have a build-in web browser in Bitshares-DNS wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea - the wallet is already a webapp on the inside!

+5%
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline mdw

• View Profile
Following up this topic, have we paid ICANN for the .p2p? Or do we have plan to do so?

No way, this is a strictly opt-out system. If someone spends the $100k to register the TLD we'll just pick another.

I don't know why but the sentence "we'll just pick another" don't like me at all...

What happens if someone registers ".bit"? Probably people would fight it because it's been homesteaded, and it would likely get rejected by ICANN.
What would have happened if, right when namecoin was released and nobody knew about it, someone registered ".bit"? Probably they would have to switch.

If the stakeholders decide registering the name is appropriate, they can elect delegates who will direct their income towards a pool to register the name. But that only adds unnecessary ties to centralized entities. What would happen if someone tried to trademark "Bitcoin"? Does the bitcoin community need to trademark it first?

The ICANN procedures work in everyone's interest in this case - for a change.

Pending applications for new strings are evaluated for possible conflicts first before they continue (but after application fee $185k is paid lol) The rules vary according to what "type" of application, but basically plans well under way to launch .p2p should easily scuttle any new application for it.

Also even if someone were to find some unseamly way to push their application through, a challenge can always be launched ... for a $50k fee. Hey those meetings all over the world don't come cheap!
"A good friend will always stab you in the front." - Oscar Wilde

Offline pioneer

• View Profile
I would like to see a normal web browser like Firefox that can simply switch between different types in the address bar.
Like, you want to enter a "normal" ICANN address? Just select it next to the address bar. Kind of like there's an icon on the left in the search bar where you can select which search engine to use. Instead have one to choose which DNS/protocol to use.

Wanna visit the "old school" ICANN web, you select that. Wanna visit some other "web", select that. And it will automatically lookup the right type.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:33:16 pm by pioneer »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Following up this topic, have we paid ICANN for the .p2p? Or do we have plan to do so?

No way, this is a strictly opt-out system. If someone spends the $100k to register the TLD we'll just pick another.

I don't know why but the sentence "we'll just pick another" don't like me at all...

What happens if someone registers ".bit"? Probably people would fight it because it's been homesteaded, and it would likely get rejected by ICANN.
What would have happened if, right when namecoin was released and nobody knew about it, someone registered ".bit"? Probably they would have to switch.

If the stakeholders decide registering the name is appropriate, they can elect delegates who will direct their income towards a pool to register the name. But that only adds unnecessary ties to centralized entities. What would happen if someone tried to trademark "Bitcoin"? Does the bitcoin community need to trademark it first?
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I think the bottom line is to have a build-in web browser in Bitshares-DNS wallet.

+5%

Offline toast

• View Profile

Good idea - the wallet is already a webapp on the inside!
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline mitao

• View Profile

Offline toast

• View Profile
I can imagine it is hard to integrate .p2p into the existing DNS system. Is it totally impossible? It will be a big plus if any browser out of box can get on to .p2p. I found this discussion from openDNS forum: http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=12233 Seems like it will never happen to integrate .bit or other alt DNS root into existing openDNS.

Another question, what if someone pay $100k to register .p2p 5 years later from today, do we need to move over to another one with so many domains already registered at that time? Maybe we should pay the fee and secure the spot?

If it happens in 5 years hopefully the backlash would be extreme just like if someone tried to enforce Bitcoin trademark even though nobody owns it

If it happens before launch or while it is very small then its not a problem as .p2p vs some other domain is all client side

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum
I can imagine it is hard to integrate .p2p into the existing DNS system. Is it totally impossible? It will be a big plus if any browser out of box can get on to .p2p. I found this discussion from openDNS forum: http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=12233 Seems like it will never happen to integrate .bit or other alt DNS root into existing openDNS.

Another question, what if someone pay $100k to register .p2p 5 years later from today, do we need to move over to another one with so many domains already registered at that time? Maybe we should pay the fee and secure the spot?

Forum Donation: PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline toast

• View Profile

What does "strictly opt-out system" mean? I am not familiar with this. I thought since 2012 anyone can pay the fee and register a gTLD.

Do we always need to use a browser extension or proxy to surf .p2p, like what .bit is doing now?

By "strictly opt-out" I mean "you will have to take steps to get it to work outside the normal system because the existing system wouldn't work for this". Even if we registered a gTLD (for $100,000...) we would not automatically be integrated into the existing DNS system because our architecture is totally different. DNS server providers would still have to choose whether to support it or not which they can already do without ICANN's approval.

You will need to use an extension or proxy for as long as the "official" (google, openDNS, etc) DNS providers do not support .p2p.

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum

What does "strictly opt-out system" mean? I am not familiar with this. I thought since 2012 anyone can pay the fee and register a gTLD.

Do we always need to use a browser extension or proxy to surf .p2p, like what .bit is doing now?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 07:40:30 pm by Amazon »

Offline toast

• View Profile

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum