Poll

How many DomainShares should there be at launch?

19 (41.3%)
27 (58.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Share amount  (Read 12192 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Yep! m% and u% should be standard. I'm wondering whether it should be made explicit enough that people could actually trade in terms of specific-block-m%, which would let people earn their dividends "right away" instead of having to wait for the market to move to adjust
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I love the idea of setting the currency supply to some lucky numbers.  That's a better reason than some arbitrary "round number".

But remember that our plan is to display currencies in micro-percent (MIP?**) so people can easily see their increase when a DAC pay's dividends.

** I realize that "micro" is usually a Greek "u" and  "m" stands for "milli" , but did you ever try to pronounce uIPs?  Maybe they could be pronounced "mikes"

So whether you pick 888 or 8888888888888888 or 4,000,000 as the underlying share supply it would be nice to get everybody to start thinking in "MIPs".

That means if you start with 40,000 XTS you would have 1 percent of the BitSharesX supply of 4,000,000. 
That means you would have 1,000,000 micro-percent (MIP).  So 40 XTS would be 1000 MIP and 4 XTS would be 100 MIP and 1 XTS is 25 MIP.

That way, transactions instantly destroy a tiny amount of the supply and everybody's displayed account balance in MIPs adjusts instantly upwards every block.

After people get used to this, no one will be interested in any other unit of measure - the instantly understandable unit of value will always be the MIP, no matter which DAC you are talking about.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 06:03:10 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline boshen1011

• Keyhotee ID:Bo
    • View Profile

Offline toast

• View Profile
Ok,
If you make 8,890,000 initial shares, then for a while the supply will be
8,88X,XXX    where X is more likely to be 9

this is hilarious, I fully endorse any amount this conversation converges on
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

bitbro

Btw psych studies prove the mind believes 9s have the most value of any single digit number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline toast

• View Profile
We can do 80 8's and still have bits left over for fractional shares

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 shares

bitbro

Yes! The Google translation for 88,888,888 sounds fantastic - good enough to be a ringtone.
Seriously though, perhaps eight eights would be best.

A Chinese airline paid a lot for the phone number 88888888

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3163951.stm

"an eight-digit number containing only the number eight is considered especially auspicious"

I don't get the eights. More is better.  Let the BitShares move up in value from 0 to 1 relative to bit used rather than beating it 5 to 1, or let it beat BitUSD by a ton like bitcoin.  400 billion BitShares pls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
Yes! The Google translation for 88,888,888 sounds fantastic - good enough to be a ringtone.
Seriously though, perhaps eight eights would be best.

A Chinese airline paid a lot for the phone number 88888888

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3163951.stm

"an eight-digit number containing only the number eight is considered especially auspicious"
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline jbutta2k13

• View Profile
Funny I just tried to say it out loud and my son started singing ba ba black sheep.
I guess it's catchy!

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Haha ok maybe 88,888,888

Yes I agree, these things seem silly, but 88 888 888 is a great idea.

The bigger the number the better it would seem. (I would even add another 8. For some reason having a 100 000 of something makes the average Western person feel much richer than having 10 of something even if their value is the same.)

Having a lucky Chinese number is also a fantastic idea. It also sends the right message, that you're thinking about and respecting the Chinese market as a big part of the future.

I like 8,888,888 ,because the amount is enough and the pronunciation of this number in chinese is very very nice.

I've got to know!  Can you "sound it out" phonetically so we can all imagine how it sounds in Chinese?

Because 88 888 888 is too complicated when read in chinese ,but 8 888 888 is simpler , sounds better and will be more popular.

That sounds  like " ba bai ba shi ba wan ba qian ba bai ba shi ba"  , and I believe people will like to simply read as 8 880 000"  that means "ba bai ba shi ba wan" in daily use case.
 :)

You can hear the sound at Google translation : http://translate.google.com.hk/#auto/zh-CN/88%20888%20888

You're right, that's delightful.  No doubt there will be a new Gangnam Style dance to that tune before long.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline muse-umum

• BitShares everything
    • View Profile
Haha ok maybe 88,888,888

The bigger the number the better it would seem. (I would even add another 8. For some reason having a 100 000 of something makes the average Western person feel much richer than having 10 of something even if their value is the same.)

Having a lucky Chinese number is also a fantastic idea. It also sends the right message, that you're thinking about and respecting the Chinese market as a big part of the future.

I like 8,888,888 ,because the amount is enough and the pronunciation of this number in chinese is very very nice.

I've got to know!  Can you "sound it out" phonetically so we can all imagine how it sounds in Chinese?

Because 88 888 888 is too complicated when read in chinese ,but 8 888 888 is simpler , sounds better and will be more popular.

That sounds  like " ba bai ba shi ba wan ba qian ba bai ba shi ba"  , and I believe people will like to simply read as 8 880 000"  that means "ba bai ba shi ba wan" in daily use case.

You can hear the sound at Google translation : http://translate.google.com.hk/#auto/zh-CN/88%20888%20888

Offline Overthetop

Haha ok maybe 88,888,888

个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Haha ok maybe 88,888,888

Offline Overthetop

Haha ok maybe 88,888,888

个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Haha ok maybe 88,888,888