Author Topic: TLD discussion  (Read 19445 times)

Offline bytemaster

If BitShares DNS is to be adopted as widely as possible it must feel like it is unbranded, global and for the use of everyone. For this reason "bts" is an unsuitable name for the TLD. To someone browsing "bts" websites, it could seem like being in a small, restricted, proprietary corner of the internet.

It is necessary to sacrifice BitShares brand awareness in favour of the wider adoption which may arise from using a TLD which sounds more far reaching and all inclusive (such as "p2p"). If DNS systems are created by many other parties using various blockchains, we want ours to come across not as one of many brand options, but as the new adopted standard.

Does anyone think it's worth considering a re-branding of "BitShares DNS" itself? Imagine an average person or business wanting a domain with all the advantages offered by blockchain technology.
Would they, for example, rather give their money to "BitShares DNS", "Peer-2-peer DNS" or "Open DNS"? I'm not sure...

We would like the concept of BitShares itself to be perceived as far reaching and all inclusive.   Your points are valid, but only so long as BitShares is perceived as proprietary.   If BitShares DNS were viewed like Bitcoin DNS then we will have achieved our goal.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
If BitShares DNS is to be adopted as widely as possible it must feel like it is unbranded, global and for the use of everyone. For this reason "bts" is an unsuitable name for the TLD. To someone browsing "bts" websites, it could seem like being in a small, restricted, proprietary corner of the internet.

It is necessary to sacrifice BitShares brand awareness in favour of the wider adoption which may arise from using a TLD which sounds more far reaching and all inclusive (such as "p2p"). If DNS systems are created by many other parties using various blockchains, we want ours to come across not as one of many brand options, but as the new adopted standard.

Does anyone think it's worth considering a re-branding of "BitShares DNS" itself? Imagine an average person or business wanting a domain with all the advantages offered by blockchain technology.
Would they, for example, rather give their money to "BitShares DNS", "Peer-2-peer DNS" or "Open DNS"? I'm not sure...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:25:28 pm by Hadrian »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline JoeyD

Something I just thought of... although I know that "P2P" mostly has international recognition for its meaning, it pretty much only works in English.  "Peer-to-Peer" = "P2P" because "to" sounds like "two".  I don't think that this relationship exists in any other language.

Apart from English it doesn't work in any of the languages I'm familiar with, but unless you use something like latin, you won't be able to find a character combination that works internationally.

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
Something I just thought of... although I know that "P2P" mostly has international recognition for its meaning, it pretty much only works in English.  "Peer-to-Peer" = "P2P" because "to" sounds like "two".  I don't think that this relationship exists in any other language.
Pei5BrnEUqcCuUdffNZmBPL3rg6duj3vnU

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Let's ask ourselves what the heart and soul of this movement is:

.dcn

Decentralization in all things.

Seeing .dcn would send a powerful message: "This is secure, safe, trusted. No gov/banks/big corp here."

Added bonus, "something-dot-dcn" rolls off the tongue rather nicely. :)

Offline bytemaster

Lets identify the use cases that we need this to apply to:

1) Someone entering a URL in their browser... they want the link to be short and simple.
2) Someone linking to a page from another site.... they don't care what the URL is.
3) When you are being linked to from another page many users may not even have the plugin yet, so backward compatibility is a must.

All of that said, there is no reason why there must only be 'one' solution.   We could simply state the following:

${name}.bitshar.es will automatically redirect to ${name}.dac or ${name}.p2p

Because we have been suggesting that DAC be viewed as a new type of Inc or Org... we can use it to represent 'dac space' names. 

I also like the following extensions:

.lib -> liberty
.nsa -> no (government) strings attached ;)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline JoeyD

.dac only makes sense if only dacs are using those names.

I think it might be best to choose an extension that makes clear where these names live. In that case .bts or .i3 or something like that would not be a bad choice.

Also since all urls will be using said extension, would that not imply we don't need them at all or just filter them out? Come to think of it, why do we need a .foo extension? Personally I think of url's more like addresses, so to me a large to small way of describing it sounds more logical. Then again I don't know if there are limiting factors to prevent using something like ((www.)bts.)myAwesomeDAC where one or two parts in parentheses could be implied and not actually need to be typed in.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 09:11:23 am by JoeyD »

Offline Pixar

• View Profile
p2p since it would encompass the entire decentralized mindset

Offline Overthetop

My choice is .dac.

Because there will be more and more dacs in the future ,and these dacs will change the world.

So, let .dac become a name of era.

:)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 01:24:40 am by Overthetop »
个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline yellowecho

.dac or .bts seem to be good options as they'll also serve as publicity for the bts/dac concepts.

.dac and .bts would be good for maintaining brand identity.
The official Bitshares DNS could be .bts while forks or third-party DNS DACs could use .dac.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline svk

.dac or .bts seem to be good options as they'll also serve as publicity for the bts/dac concepts.

I kinda like .ok myself, not sure if anyones already suggested that. It's short and recognized over most of the world to express agreement, and could be catchy :) Doesn't look like it's already taken..
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline HackFisher

• View Profile
${YOUR_BITSHARES_DNS_NAME}.bitshar.es

There is no way I'm going to type that out every time, also .es is taken.

We own bitshar.es so we could set this up as a backward compatibility layer...  Perhaps I side tracked this thread...

My vote is .dac or .bts

bitshar.es is a good idea for those who don't install chrome app at first, maybe the server can help them mapping to there target IP (and reminding them to install the extention), just like Github blog does, e.g. hackfisher.github.com .

But I think this is another form of "register TLD from ICANN", instead, is "register a domain" to replace the role of TLD?

Edit:
But it might need efforts to mantain such a bitshar.es server, DNS DAC would not pay for it if it is not part of the DAC, because router is not in the design?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:48:41 am by HackFisher »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline JA

• View Profile
Why not .ip ?
Is it already taken ? (i guess  :( ) -- checked it and it is unused
it's simple and it represents the Itnternet Protocol and the whole idea behind a dns system.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:21:21 pm by jabbajabba »

Offline bytemaster

We own bitshar.es so we could set this up as a backward compatibility layer...  Perhaps I side tracked this thread...

My vote is .dac or .bts

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.