25 (27.2%)
KeyMail (Key ID)
15 (16.3%)
Leave it alone!
38 (41.3%)
Something else.
6 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Keyhotee Rebranding - BitMail / BitKey / KeyMail / KeyID  (Read 50824 times)

Offline etherbroker

• View Profile
Key Mail is pretty good, rhymes with Email, can reasonably say its short for “Keyhotee"

bitbro

I propose BitKey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
It's a trade of. Keyhotee might be long and it's difficult to remember how to spell it but it is unique! KeyID KeyMail could be great to name the sub funtions..

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Keyhotee is more than mail though!

Offline rysgc

• View Profile
    • DACZine.com
BitMail sounds nice indeed, I do like the name Keyhotee but I agree it might be difficult to market and it doesn't say anything about what it does, but then again so doesn't Firefox, Chrome and Skype.

Well  +5% for BitMail anyways!
DACZine.com - Receive all the latest DAC and BitShares community news straight to your inbox. Signup here or Submit news

Offline oldman

• View Profile
That is the heart of the matter - is it wise to strike off in a new direction when the target market is just building a comfort level with 'bit'?

Bitcoin and BitShares are rapidly becoming the face of a very powerful movement.

Do we alienate the communication package from this momentum? Or do we leverage it?

The reference to Quixote... I agree it is neat, however, I sincerely doubt the vast majority are going to pick up on this. And if they do I'm not sure it has any marketing value.

Also, China and the rest of the world.

Keyhotee/Quixote does not translate well nor convey a consistent/meaningful message to the international audience.

We have to remember the target audience is global.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Not having "bit" in the brand sets you apart. Bit is used inflationary by now.
Key-hotee = (Don) Quichotte. I love that :)

Offline oldman

• View Profile
I respectfully submit the Keyhotee moniker is inadequate and may hinder widespread adoption.

First issue: too many syllables.

If you look at the most successful tech branding campaigns of the 21st century you will find convergence at two syllables:

Google
Facebook
Apple (to wit - iPhone/iTunes)

There is likely psychology and good reasoning behind this, but bottom line is people seem to identify with two-syllable tech branding. Proof is in the pudding.

Second issue: not connected with the bit-space.

My recent experience as an 'average Joe' just learning about the Invictus project was frustrating when it came to Keyhotee. I had a hell of time figuring out what Keyhotee is.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Keyhotee branding does not resonate with the target audience, and moreover, is a bit off-putting. It looks like antivirus software from the 90's.

The phonetics and logo create a disconnect with the 'bit' ecosystem that alienate the project from the crypto/decentralization movement.

Apologies for being harsh, but I do feel strongly about this. The technology is incredible, game-changing, needed.

So what to do?

Treat Keyhotee as a code-name, similar to what Intel/Microsoft/others do pre-release, and then re-brand on launch.

Re-brand to what? Anything with 'bit' in it. The obvious candidate being BitMail (bMail? bitMail? bitmail?).

The unavoidable association will be with gmail, which is highly desirable as it will accelerate adoption. Think gmail minus Google plus crypto.

Association with a familiar, mature and widely adopted brand/product will massively lower the entry barriers for adoption.

Moreover, the bit-space is rapidly becoming recognized as next-gen, secure, decentralized, private, etc.

BitMail leverages both spaces in two syllables.

Imagine you are average Joe and someone is pushing a new email client: you can choose to download and install Keyhotee or bitMail. Which one do you pick?

For consideration.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:41:49 pm by OldMan »