Author Topic: Orphans and Mining Rewards  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Delinquency

• View Profile
Since the block time in MMC is 6 minutes, and difficulty shifts very quickly, if two pools complete a block and one of them completes the next block before the other, they receive the reward for the first block.

This, however, can be fixed by decreasing the variance in mining power among pools.

Offline testz

Usually pools doesn't pay for orphaned blocks.

Offline Kvn

• View Profile
OK, that might be true.

However, since even Delinquency is discussing this as a problem with the dwarf pool ("4 orphans"), it happens actually:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=2747.msg34674#msg34674

So I was just wondering, theoretically, what happens to my mining rewards in that case? Do they vanish as well?

Offline testz

MemoryCoin has 6 minutes block target, the probability of orphan block is very very low.

Offline Kvn

• View Profile
Hi,

I have a question regarding small pools, orphaned blocks and mining rewards.

In general, I am willing to move from larger mining pools such as 1gh and mmcpool to smaller ones such as the dwarf pool. Now, with a lot of hash power, larger pools can orphan blocks that were computed by smaller pools.

What happens then to the block rewards that I received as a miner using a small pool? For example, I mine using the dwarf pool, we find a block but it get's orphaned. This is of course bad for the pool operator but what happens to my rewards as a miner?

Many thanks