Author Topic: Mining Begins November 5, 08:08:08 UTC  (Read 53944 times)

Offline yago

• View Profile
Re: Mining Begins November 5, 08:08:08 UTC
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 06:06:59 pm »
OK, with the clock trick now does work.

Connected to just one node in Bangkok after 5 minutes.

What should I do with ~/.protoshares files at launch?
http://bitsharestalk.org/donate.html  <---- Donate to the BitShares Forum ----> PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline arubi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 03:41:38 pm »
Ah, so I just git pull at launch and recomplie.
Will do.

Thanks!

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 03:39:30 pm »
Thanks for the reply bytemaster,

... Do an update at launch ...

Can you explain what you mean by that please?

If you are building the code from source you will need the genesis block parameters which took us hours to mine.  These parameters will not be pushed to github until the same time that the binary download is available to everyone else.  So if you can get the code compiling now you will be 99.9% ready.  Then when we push the parameters to github, you can pull it, build and be ready to go.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline arubi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 03:37:13 pm »
Thanks for the reply bytemaster,

... Do an update at launch ...

Can you explain what you mean by that please?

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 03:25:52 pm »
@bytemaster :

I've compiled the Protoshares git on linux. It used to run without a problem but now I'm getting :

Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ./bitcoind

And that's on two machines. Is that the bug you are referring or am I seeing something else here?

Thanks.

Yes, this bug happens when the genesis block time is in the future.  It goes away if you set your clock forward.   Do an update at launch, recompile, and it should work just fine for you.

Note: I am mining on Linux and one of the bootstrap nodes is on linux so if there were a bug here I would have it fixed ASAP prior to launch!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:27:49 pm by bytemaster »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 03:24:22 pm »
Do we need to mine on a pool or is it solo mining initially using the QT client?

Solo Mining Initially, no pools created yet, but we are working on it.

Offline arubi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 02:42:51 pm »
Same segfault here (linux, x86-64)

Thanks yago. So it does seem like the "bug" in question :)

Offline yago

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 02:37:58 pm »
Same segfault here (linux, x86-64)

@bytemaster :

I've compiled the Protoshares git on linux. It used to run without a problem but now I'm getting :

And that's on two machines. Is that the bug you are referring or am I seeing something else here?

Thanks.
http://bitsharestalk.org/donate.html  <---- Donate to the BitShares Forum ----> PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 02:14:09 pm »
Do we need to mine on a pool or is it solo mining initially using the QT client?

There is a pool setup bounty. At the beginning, I think solo mining is the only way.
Forum Donation: PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline arubi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 02:02:42 pm »
@bytemaster :

Thanks.

Offline furball

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 09:21:15 am »

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 08:47:57 am »
To prevent cheating we have not yet set the nonce for the genesis block which we just started mining 5 minutes ago.   A single computer should take 5 to 16 hours to mine the genesis block so will not be able to release the Windows binaries until we have the genesis nonce discovered.   We will be posting the binaries for download by all about 30 minutes before the genesis block time.   

We will arrange for multiple download locations to handle the load as we expect there to be 100+ people waiting to download.

Anyone interested in the Linux build should fetch from github now and get the code compiled.  Once compiled you will be able to fetch the proper nonce at the same time the binaries are posted and thus build a working client.

There is a bug that will cause the client to Crash if you try to run it too soon.  So the code actually will not be usable (without hacks) until the genesis block time.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 08:29:44 am »
Hi,

is it possible to set up the miner in advance? I won't be around to the launch and don't want to miss it

Offline bytemaster

Mining Begins November 5, 08:08:08 UTC
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 05:11:03 pm »
We are pleased to announce that barring unforeseen circumstances, Mining for ProtoShares will begin on November 5, 08:08:08.   Follow this thread for the latest updates.

The Unix Timestamp will be: 1383638888 translates to Tuesday, November 5th 2013, 08:08:08 (GMT)

Guy Fawkes Day + Chinese Lucky Numbers for Birth(3) & Prosper (8)! 

The windows and Mac executables are available for download now:     http://invictus-innovations.com/downloads

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:01:14 am by bytemaster »