Author Topic: Where the real money is - the big record labels & artists  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Who gets the royalties when a song I bought shares in is played on the radio, Itunes downloads, a song is used in a movie or commercial, and other stuff like that?

You get a % of those royalties.

If the record label that released the coin/POS you own, eg. 'KatyPerry-DarkHorse-Coin', have agreed to pay X% of those royalties to shareholders of that coin. (This isn't hard for a big record label to do they are already working everything out and paying the artist Y%)

--

If you are talking about the DAC on the other thread (the one that will actually happen, mine are just ideas.) then you mainly only get royalties when the song is downloaded or played on the platform they are creating I think.

Offline JakeThePanda

• View Profile
Who gets the royalties when a song I bought shares in is played on the radio, Itunes downloads, a song is used in a movie or commercial, and other stuff like that? 

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Another big market is these music talent shows. The judges get a % of the winning artist's revenue. So why can't the audience too?

If you could invest in their shares during the show, then your favourite contestant could raise enough money to put out an album even if they didn't win and you'd share in the success. Also if you could spot the talent early in the competition, you can make money that way too.

+5%
Partner with quality people that actually have a share of the respective industry....Otherwise competition can easily do it.
Why not just pitch at Sony, Universal etc. They are eager for any competitive advantage through innovation...

+5% If one of the DAC's starts doing well. I think the Bitshares brand will be in a great position to approach big partners in a lot of industries.

-----

Edit: Just adding more general ideas...

I'm not sure about the legality of the following idea but what about issuing shares in 'un-claimed' mainstream songs/movies/content? 

Uploaders pay Bitshares Music a fee (Paid as shareholder dividend)  in order to upload, in exchange uploaders get X% shares. Bitshares Music holders get Y% shares and maybe Z% is set aside for the original artist should they choose to the claim them.

It will be marked 'copy', so shareholders take the risk it will be challenged by the original at some point.

However it builds up the platform and can makes us all shareholders in mainstream content too. (If the platform becomes a success and labels/studios etc. starting taking notice then the model can be adjusted.)   

---
other idea...

For the new artists we could make something that links the bigger platforms with Bitshares music.
With the artist's consent Bitshares music publishes content on bigger platforms like Youtube/Itunes and the download & ad revenue dividends get paid to Bitshares Music then on to shareholders.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:14:07 am by Empirical1 »

Offline feedthemcake

• View Profile
What gets me excited about this is that I thought this up about a year ago one day. It was before I knew of bitcoin, before I knew of any of this, and I didn't know how to implement it. I even held this idea until February of this year when it made sense to me "Why not combine cryptocurrency and this idea I have?" and I posted it to developers on reddit to which no one replied in February of this year. It makes total sense and I love that I found out about bitshares and saw the implementation of something I thought I came up with on my own. This is exciting.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Record companies already have contracts in place with artists and have admin & accounting systems in place that manage and process various revenue streams (record & concerts sales, merchandising etc.) which are then partly distributed to the artist based on the contract terms. (The record companies are kept 'fairly' honest in this regard by auditors and because if they were cooking the books too much other artists wouldn't sign with them.)

While it's possible for investors to buy shares in some of these record labels if they are publicly listed, it's not really accessible for fans. It also hasn't been practical till now to issue shares for individual artists, albums or songs.

POS share systems change everything!

Record companies in agreement with their artists can now reduce their risk, raise capital & get fans interested & involved not just in consuming but marketing their artists too! 

The record company will issue a POS, with a contract attached, in which they agree to distribute X % of various revenue streams as dividends to the POS much the same way they already pay their artists.
(As I said the degree to which they are perceived to hold up the agreement will determine how willing fans/investors are to support future POS artists, albums and songs issued by said record label.)

This model will also have a big application in funding movies in the future too.

Personally I would recommend maybe contacting Hollywood Stock Exchange HSX.com as they have a nice interface and userbase already used to do something similar for fun. (If we work in combination we might be able to become the youtube/itunes of this space & require each new IPO distributes % share to Bitshares Music holders.)

Whether or not Bitshares gets involved here I can see quite clearly that this is the future. (For the benefits I mentioned, reduce risk, raise capital, and the completely new USP (which Bitshares Music already identified) of have invested fans actively marketing their favourite artists.)

(The benefit of this vs. existing Bitshares Music is this gives access to already established artists, multiple incl. offline revenue streams (Album Sales, concerts, merchandise) & companies who will establish a track record of honouring contracts across a range of offerings, not just a small share of a specific online revenue stream from largely unknown artists who will if successful have to sign with a centralised management/record label anyway. Plus the record labels already have a huge marketing machine in place that will be complimentary to the viral and network marketing the fans will be engaged in.)
+5%
Partner with quality people that actually have a share of the respective industry....Otherwise competition can easily do it.
Why not just pitch at Sony, Universal etc. They are eager for any competitive advantage through innovation...

Offline gamey

• View Profile

What I like about the Hollywood exchange partnership is that you may get in a situation where the media references the HollywoodShares site regularly.  This could help with protoshare's exposure to a more main stream audience.  You need a casual entertaining way to pull people in and people are endlessly fascinated by Hollywood type stuff.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Ie. This is just an application of POS share systems.

The goal for Bitshares would be to create the dominant marketplace/exchange where they are traded.

Bitshares Music would be the  Itunes/Youtube of this space and if the POS's were denominated in something like BitUsd all the better.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Record companies already have contracts in place with artists and have admin & accounting systems in place that manage and process various revenue streams (record & concerts sales, merchandising etc.) which are then partly distributed to the artist based on the contract terms. (The record companies are kept 'fairly' honest in this regard by auditors and because if they were cooking the books too much other artists wouldn't sign with them.)

While it's possible for investors to buy shares in some of these record labels if they are publicly listed, it's not really accessible for fans. It also hasn't been practical till now to issue shares for individual artists, albums or songs.

POS share systems change everything!

Record companies in agreement with their artists can now reduce their risk, raise capital & get fans interested & involved not just in consuming but marketing their artists too! 

The record company will issue a POS, with a contract attached, in which they agree to distribute X % of various revenue streams as dividends to the POS much the same way they already pay their artists.
(As I said the degree to which they are perceived to hold up the agreement will determine how willing fans/investors are to support future POS artists, albums and songs issued by said record label.)

This model will also have a big application in funding movies in the future too.

Personally I would recommend maybe contacting Hollywood Stock Exchange HSX.com as they have a nice interface and userbase already used to do something similar for fun. (If we work in combination we might be able to become the youtube/itunes of this space & require each new IPO distributes % share to Bitshares Music holders.)

Whether or not Bitshares gets involved here I can see quite clearly that this is the future. (For the benefits I mentioned, reduce risk, raise capital, and the completely new USP (which Bitshares Music already identified) of have invested fans actively marketing their favourite artists.)

(The benefit of this vs. existing Bitshares Music is this gives access to already established artists, multiple incl. offline revenue streams (Album Sales, concerts, merchandise) & companies who will establish a track record of honouring contracts across a range of offerings, not just a small share of a specific online revenue stream from largely unknown artists who will if successful have to sign with a centralised management/record label anyway. Plus the record labels already have a huge marketing machine in place that will be complimentary to the viral and network marketing the fans will be engaged in.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:18:08 pm by Empirical1 »