Author Topic: pay-per-view DAC?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline etherbroker

• View Profile
But nothing to prevent me from just waiting until everyone else does all that, and then listening for free.

I believe the target is the iTunes style market where people do spend money for music.

I would personally target the DJ market, though much smaller cap, just on the grounds that it would be more realistic to get them to switch.

Full disclosure: I am usually wrong about this kind of stuff.

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
I actually don't understand the bitshares music model?

How does either model protect against piracy?

Right now, in 2014, any music you want can be obtained online freely?  Is it possible to compete with that?

Yes, it is possible to compete with that.  With BitShares Music, rather than getting good music for free, you can actually earn a profit by finding good music early and investing in it.  Of course you could lose money if you find bad music and invest in it, or if you invest too late.  But still, all the benefits of the current system, plus potential profits, plus being able to verify, quantify, and brag about liking that band before they were cool.

Offline etherbroker

• View Profile
I actually don't understand the bitshares music model?

How does either model protect against piracy?

Right now, in 2014, any music you want can be obtained online freely?  Is it possible to compete with that?

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
I think the BitShares Music economic model is better for content distribution than pay-per-view.  Pay-per-view tends to make content a pain to work with, and it basically ends up being honor system anyway, because DRM is an inherently flawed concept.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Here is another idea for monetizing content: use a prediction market to trade on the content's download count.

Developers announce the details of their content, and take a long position in the market on how many downloads the game/movie will have. As they are long, they have extra incentive to finish the game and make it as good as possible. Other traders who think that the current market price is too high can go short. If the developers release a really successful product then the shorters will be wrong, and they will effectively be monetizing the developers who went long by betting on their own product.

Problem with this idea is how to get the trading volume high enough to allow content creators to get decent $.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
You would need to gain access to content. Possible, but lots of work. Bitshares Music may come up with a good model that could be used for another DAC that does videos, etc.

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile
Pay-per-view DAC? Does that idea have potential?