Author Topic: Is broadcasting messages to every other node really sustainable?  (Read 2314 times)

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
Cool. I suppose the important thing is to get everyone used to the convenience of their Keyhotee ID, and from there the software can be updated to include more scalable delivery methods later on.
Yes, that's the plan. Direct connect probably shouldn't take long to implement once we get around to it, as the "authorize connection" code required for it is close to done now.

Btw Dan is anyone working on VOIP in Keyhotee yet? This would be the killer feature that would get loads of people to try Keyhotee - many people are looking for a decentralized alternative to Skype.
VOIP is planned, but we don't have anyone assigned to it currently.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Cool. I suppose the important thing is to get everyone used to the convenience of their Keyhotee ID, and from there the software can be updated to include more scalable delivery methods later on.

Btw Dan is anyone working on VOIP in Keyhotee yet? This would be the killer feature that would get loads of people to try Keyhotee - many people are looking for a decentralized alternative to Skype.

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
As I understand it, Keyhotee does the same thing as Bitmessage in that every mail you send out is sent to every node in the network, and whoever has the corresponding private key can read it.

I cant think of any other way for a decentralized system, but is there really no alternative to this? It doesnt seem to be very sustainable with millions of users, especially on mobile devices which cant afford to constantly sieve through millions of messages.

Btw perhaps this issue should be part of an FAQ pinned on this forum.
There's plenty of variations on how we can send the messages and eventually KH will support multiple methods. The current method KH uses can be viewed as the "highest security" method, that will "cost" the most CPU power to send. This method definitely only scales so far, so the traffic has to be limited to some level by a proof-of-work.

There will also be lower cost variations, for example direct connection to "authorized contacts" and "dark net" delivery. These alternative methods still provide all the encryption security of the current method, they're just a little more subject to network traffic analysis to detect who is talking to who most often.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
As I understand it, Keyhotee does the same thing as Bitmessage in that every mail you send out is sent to every node in the network, and whoever has the corresponding private key can read it.

I cant think of any other way for a decentralized system, but is there really no alternative to this? It doesnt seem to be very sustainable with millions of users, especially on mobile devices which cant afford to constantly sieve through millions of messages.

Btw perhaps this issue should be part of an FAQ pinned on this forum.