Author Topic: Should domains count as stake for DPOS?  (Read 2649 times)

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
We want to avoid the situation where most of the value of DNS is in the domains and so the shareholders don't represent the best interests of the customers of the DAC. I'm thinking you could give all the domains a fixed % of the network's total stake (for selecting delegates), so each domain has (ratio*(sale_price / sum(sale_prices))) stake.
Ui, havent even thought about that issue, yet. But your solution sounds good

Is this a good idea? Should ratio be above or below 50%?
I'd say below and would go for a 30% .. just because :-)

This would be price fixing and cause domains to be purchased for the sake of gaining control.   I think your premise is wrong that shareholders don't care about customers.   The value of their shares is directly related to how well customers are served.   

If you wanted to give them a 'vote' the vote should be based upon the fees paid to the network to secure the domain.    I still think domain name holders are not shareholders, but customers.

I'd be very careful with the idea that "the shareholders care about the customers." If the shareholders could act as a coherent whole, of course that would be true. However, the shareholders are a collection of independent agents, so toast is right to be concerned: beware the Tragedy of the Commons!

On the other hand, you do want to avoid price-fixing.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline bytemaster

We want to avoid the situation where most of the value of DNS is in the domains and so the shareholders don't represent the best interests of the customers of the DAC. I'm thinking you could give all the domains a fixed % of the network's total stake (for selecting delegates), so each domain has (ratio*(sale_price / sum(sale_prices))) stake.

This would be price fixing and cause domains to be purchased for the sake of gaining control.   I think your premise is wrong that shareholders don't care about customers.   The value of their shares is directly related to how well customers are served.   

If you wanted to give them a 'vote' the vote should be based upon the fees paid to the network to secure the domain.    I still think domain name holders are not shareholders, but customers.   
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.