Author Topic: Namecoin airdrop?  (Read 12653 times)

Offline JoeyD

I don't mind giving namecoiners a piece of the pie.

Most recently we're thining 45/45/10 PTS/AGS/Devs. So 35/35/20/10?
That sounds like way to much to me for Namecoin given that this just serves to raise interest with Namecoiners. Their interest would be raised similarly with 5% or 1%. Also this might then seem as DNS shares are not worth much so they can be given away easily and as if we are desperate for Namecoin holders...
I don't have very strong opinions on the the percentages and if the announcement is worded correctly it might alleviate the problem of sounding cheap. Big selling point could be (it is for me at least) that we like the concept of namecoin, but we don't like the bitcoin centralized mining, so we propose this solution with a stake for current namecoin holders. There might be a number of other arguments that should clear things up in regards to our motivations. I don't think it would be bad to list our reasons for creating an alternative to namecoin and prove those motivations by reaching out a hand with no strings attached. A take it or leave it deal like this doesn't sound too bad to me.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:17:34 pm by JoeyD »

sumantso

That would be cool, of course setting a time limit (1 year?) on the drop-coins.

There is automatic 1 year 5% penalty... so a small source of dividends for a long time

I think it should be a little more drastic. The airdrop is designed to get more people, who are more likely willing to participate in this, interested in this. If, in a few years, it becomes big and some Namecoin holder realises that and then breaks out the wallet to claim some free money - well thats not our target. We want people to be interested to make it a success, not award it to freeloaders who become bothered after it is a success.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
That sounds like way to much to me for Namecoin given that this just serves to raise interest with Namecoiners. Their interest would be raised similarly with 5% or 1%. Also this might then seem as DNS shares are not worth much so they can be given away easily and as if we are desperate for Namecoin holders...

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

There is automatic 1 year 5% penalty... so a small source of dividends for a long time
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline toast

• View Profile
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Has the AGS/PTS allocation been announced for DNS?
Do you mean 40/40/20?

Offline toast

• View Profile
Neither would prevent sybils, which is only a concern if a rich namecoiner learned about the airdrop ahead of time.. The mega-wallets like exchanges could be dealt with by having a cap or non-linear reward

sumantso

Only thing is that I would like to avoid the exchange wallets; though I don't see how it can be made possible. Maybe put a cap on the allocation per address, or make it non-linear; or even a constant?

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
The more I have thought about this in general, the more it makes sense to reserve some DAC shares for holders of other coins. BTC is the obvious choice with such a huge community. But maybe a niche coin like Namecoin could help draw in the right kinds of people for DNS. OK with me.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
brilliant idea
+5%

20% is ok in my opinion

Offline toast

• View Profile
Should we pre-allocate some fraction of DNS to namecoin holders?

Anyone who educates themselves enough to redeem their DNS will probably realize they should dump their NMC and support this effort.
The vast majority would never be redeemed and would just turn into dividends one year from now... so it's still sort of like allocating most of it to AGS/PTS. This makes me feel ok about allocating as much as like 20% to namecoiners.

This would also make it much more likely that people would honor .p2pshares directly... we might not need a DNS proto-DAC if all namespace DACs honor the previous players in the space and AGS/PTS directly.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:08:01 pm by toast »