Author Topic: Airdrop poll?  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I think the real motivation is not so much the dollar value as number of shares and their potential upside. In other words, 20 free shares (or coins) in a shitcoin doesn't make me interested, 20 free shares in something that has the potential to be revolutionary and huge, I'm in. The initial dollar value isn't so much was motivates me to claim them.
+5%

It's a good point.
There's an option in the poll - '$ amount doesn't matter', it has no votes yet this time, (it got 2 the last one) not that this small poll means a lot but if enough guys voted for that it would help make your point that it's mainly about other factors than people looking at current $ value of the shares they'll claim. 

(Personally I'd probably still need them to be worth a few $ today and have potential to be huge.)

Offline JA

• View Profile
I think the real motivation is not so much the dollar value as number of shares and their potential upside. In other words, 20 free shares (or coins) in a shitcoin doesn't make me interested, 20 free shares in something that has the potential to be revolutionary and huge, I'm in. The initial dollar value isn't so much was motivates me to claim them.
+5%

Offline slacking

• View Profile

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
vesting period might weed out the impatient opportunists

Random vesting periods for each address might help to stanch the flow of dumping too.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
How do we create a "natural selection" process which
selects for people who will save and support and
selects against those who will grab and dump.

One way might be to have small amounts distributed to a wide range of addresses (a small fixed amount, not in proportion to the size of the address's holding on another blockchain). If the amount is small enough, most users will ignore it as it won't be worth the effort to claim and dump it . . . . by the time it is worth it, it will have a history of price increase so you'll have a better chance of users holding onto it.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I didnt claim either, but, as i understand it MMC are always there to be claimed if the value were to rise.

That's right. There was only a 1% distribution with MMC so I don't think it affected supply that much . . . . but if a large amount 50%+ was going into a general airdrop, you'd have a constant large downward price pressure as more and more users figured out how to bring their coins online and (likely) sell them.

I'm arguing for a minimal registration action on another thread, but the half-life idea works too although more code required to implement.

I don't know the answer to this, so I'll just pose the (profoundly insightful) question:

How do we create a "natural selection" process which
selects for people who will save and support and
selects against those who will grab and dump.

We already have that in these two cases:
  • PTS holders have proven they will save and support.
  • AGS holders have proven they will donate to a cause.
How do we structure things to select for other desirable demographic characteristics?
  • The half-life idea might weed out procrastinators and skeptics
  • A vesting period might weed out the impatient opportunists
  • How do you select for people who will be the natural customers of each DAC?
  • Can we even name the characteristics of those we do and do not want to attract?
Obviously we would rather not attract those who will quickly sell them and depress the price.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
I didnt claim either, but, as i understand it MMC are always there to be claimed if the value were to rise.

That's right. There was only a 1% distribution with MMC so I don't think it affected supply that much . . . . but if a large amount 50%+ was going into a general airdrop, you'd have a constant large downward price pressure as more and more users figured out how to bring their coins online and (likely) sell them.

I'm arguing for a minimal registration action on another thread, but the half-life idea works too although more code required to implement.

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile
Personally I never claimed my MMC coins because the value was negligible, but I'm interested in other people's threshold for actually downloading a wallet and claiming free shares in something.

I didnt claim either, but, as i understand it MMC are always there to be claimed if the value were to rise. This influenced my decision, would it be the same with the self pruning blockchain? If not would you have been more keen to claim your coins?

Personally i don't think its dollar value so much as the potential you personally see in the idea backing it.

Offline bytemaster

Considering I have several thousand USD worth of MMC that I have not cashed in on... I am way off the charts....

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Concerning your unredeemed memory coins; if memory coin jumped into the top 10 highest market cap coins (jumped 100X in value like Bitcoin did last year going from $10 to $1000), would you then redeem them?

Let’s say that you think that $1.24 is too small of an amount to bother redeeming.

What if you only had two weeks to redeem your $1.24 in memory coins or else you would only be able to redeem half of what you were previously entitled to?

Then, two weeks later the redemption period ended. 

Yes the redemption period is a good idea, it creates a sense of urgency to redeem the coins and would get people to make the effort for less than their minimum threshold for the reasons you stated. (Also yes I see we could risk airdropping 10% but only actually airdrop 5% as non-active accounts or non interested people missed deadlines)

How much lower than their minimum threshold would people make the effort for? I would suspect 1/5 to 1/10  of my minimum threshold would be the value for me. That could be the subject of a separate poll. (Not that I would put too much stake in these small sample polls, but I think it's just good to get a general idea.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 01:08:04 am by Empirical1 »

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I got 1000 "Faircoin" (0.008$*1000) = $8

Not exactly something to write home about, but I keep my wallet safe just in case they go up 10 or 100x. 100% of Faircoins are distributed, each person given 1000, so the current value 8$ reflects the current value people bother to sell their stake at. However, it seems that the price started at around (0.002$*1000) = $2.

Cool, good example. Yeah the $ value of the airdrop can start low & then as the coin rises in value, more and more could get interested as their airdrop share reached a $ value that interested them.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
I got 1000 "Faircoin" (0.008$*1000) = $8

Not exactly something to write home about, but I keep my wallet safe just in case they go up 10 or 100x. 100% of Faircoins are distributed, each person given 1000, so the current value 8$ reflects the current value people bother to sell their stake at. However, it seems that the price started at around (0.002$*1000) = $2.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
EDIT: NEW POLL PLEASE VOTE AGAIN (Now includes a 2 week half-life)

Also when answering, also bear in mind these would be airdrops of good Bitshares DAC's not some random clone coin with little potential.

-----

The first poll asked 'What minimum $ value would motivate you to claim your shares of an airdrop?"

The avg. of the results was $7.48 (There were 28 votes and the most popular was $10.)

(Just trying to get a general idea obviously it's a very small sample size)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:09:42 pm by Empirical1 »