Author Topic: DACs are the better way for Marketing than Airdrop.  (Read 2235 times)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
DACs are the cornerstone for marketing.

DACs are the products themselves. Yes, if they are good, then they will market themselves. But this code will be open source and anyone can copy it. Hence, the airdrop would bring more people in and immediately jump start this to a level that would be difficult for any imitator to surmount. I think it's brilliant.

Bitcoin isn't marketing itself. I haven't seen any of these products market themselves just by having superior technology. If you want the network effect you have to build a community of social entrepreneurs, there is no way around that.

You can pump and dump, but that will not last if there is no community willing to build value around the technology. The airdrop has to be thoroughly thought out as to the incentive structure, it should be carefully executed and strategic.

This is a matter of growth strategy as well as marketing.

Only two points my friend :

1. Do not make bitcoin holders have stake at bitshare with NO investment. Thus making bitcoin holders having privilege over bitshare. Bitshare X is on the horizon .  It is the place where to get bitshare after snapshop.

2. Airdropping is not the way to market this type of crypto currency. I value my bitshare more than any other.

I agree with you on this. Bitshares should not be given away for free period. What we should give away is stake in the other DACs which come after Bitshares.

Like the Lotto, the Insurance, the Music, and whatever else. We have to make the entire DAC community into stakeholders in the future of this industry or we fail.

Early adopters can be tolerated as long as the opportunity to get rich is passed down to the next generation. The mistake Bitcoin is making is the opportunity to get rich is now centralized and not being passed down to the little guy anymore. You cannot really mine anymore, you cannot get rich now without VC funding and a lot of regulatory hurdles.

To have a functioning industry which attracts the smartest and most passionate people you must keep it as a land of opportunity. This means if you bought AGS early of course you're in a good place, but if people from other communities are made into allies they'll be in a win/win situation with the Bitshares community.

The Ethereum community, Bitshares community, Mastercoin community, Counterparty community, all believe in the concept of the DAC and can all win together. Strong ties between these core communities produces unified strength.

Perhaps we need a new mechanism or version of AGS to facilitate Airdrops and strategic alliances between these communities. Perhaps these communities can be convinced to send Airdrops to to Angelshare addresses from their DACs in return.

Perhaps by donating to the new Airdrop AGS, you're facilitating Airdrops, strategic alliances, etc and by doing so you'll receive Airdrops from other communities who agree to do the same.

Additional communities exist as well, build your alliances because that is the main criticism people make about Bitshares. It's that while it's an open community it does not feel open because the miners aren't being courted, and there are too few stakeholders. If Bitshares had the entire DAC community as stakeholders in some of it's future DACs then everyone would be on the same page.

Competition should be set aside in exchange for long term cooperation. Try to recreate Silicon Valley.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:47:13 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile
Only two points my friend :

1. Do not make bitcoin holders have stake at bitshare with NO investment. Thus making bitcoin holders having privilege over bitshare. Bitshare X is on the horizon .  It is the place where to get bitshare after snapshot.

2. Airdropping is not the way to market this type of crypto currency. I value my bitshare more than any other.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:46:42 am by jwiz168 »

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
PTS is the father of bitshare so to speak. It has been in the top 7 in  terms of market cap and popularity. What  is being marketed now is bitshare not as popular as PTS but definitely more profitable and promising.

And your point is...? Sorry, but I've read all your postings in which you oppose the airdrop. I respect your opinions, but I still have not seen one valid reason why this is a bad idea. It will not dilute the value of Bitshares, PTS, or any other measure of value in this ecosystem. If this airdrop is even partly successful, then Bitshares, PTS, and everything else around here will be worth a great deal more. Perhaps more importantly, no competitor will be able to match the momentum. You just can't get that far, that fast, with the DACs alone, though in time they will do their own word-of-mouth marketing.

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile
Hence, the airdrop would bring more people in and immediately jump start this to a level that would be difficult for any imitator to surmount. I think it's brilliant.

Airdrop to what? bitcoin holders? NO WAY .  It is better to airdrop maybe at one of PTS/ AGS spawned crytocurrency. That way is a fair and people will have equal opportunity to invest in it.

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile
PTS is the father of bitshare so to speak. It has been in the top 7 in  terms of market cap and popularity. What  is being marketed now is bitshare not as popular as PTS but definitely more profitable and promising.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
DACs are the cornerstone for marketing.

DACs are the products themselves. Yes, if they are good, then they will market themselves. But this code will be open source and anyone can copy it. Hence, the airdrop would bring more people in and immediately jump start this to a level that would be difficult for any imitator to surmount. I think it's brilliant.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
From the beginning of I3 DAC concept, investors like me easily got so much enthusiasm. I like the way where bitshare is right now. But lately due to bitshares relatively low popularity among crypto investors, Airdrop has been introduced by way of marketing. I say this a scheme of rideon tactics by people who heavily invested in Bitcoin with volatile nature and no service aside from trading. The snapshot itself is enough for bitshare to be valuable. and DACs are the cornerstone for marketing.

Just one little quibble about "relatively low popularity".  PTS has been in the Top 10 about 99% of the time since it was introduced six months ago.  (And that's even after 2/3 of its value was spun off to XTS.)

:)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile
From the beginning of I3 DAC concept, investors like me easily got so much enthusiasm. I like the way where bitshare is right now. But lately due to bitshares relatively low popularity among crypto investors, Airdrop has been introduced by way of marketing. I say this a scheme of rideon tactics by people who heavily invested in Bitcoin with volatile nature and no service aside from trading. The snapshot itself is enough for bitshare to be valuable. and DACs are the cornerstone for marketing.