Author Topic: A Strategic Targeted Airdrop is a better mouse trap  (Read 3546 times)

bitbro

People love shit that's exclusive, like Facebook when it first came out.  Possible to make airdrops feel exclusive, while including as many as possible?

Have people sign up for an invitation to the beta, and promote it on r/Bitcoin. That way, you get to a likely audience, and only those interested take up your time.

Also, BitShares supporters in Los Angeles, New York, and South Florida should have little difficulty finding B-List celebrities who might be looking for something to draw attention to them.  Maybe we could recruit some to identify airdrop recipients.

50 cent loves this kind of shit (although he's A list in my book)

Should we begin reaching out via twitter? Other medium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline unimercio

• The opportunity of a lifetime comes by every 7 day
    • View Profile
    • Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)
  • BitShares: unimercio

The heat seeking missile rather than the carpet bomb as our meme and metaphor to explain it.

+5% yes precisely
Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
People love shit that's exclusive, like Facebook when it first came out.  Possible to make airdrops feel exclusive, while including as many as possible?

Have people sign up for an invitation to the beta, and promote it on r/Bitcoin. That way, you get to a likely audience, and only those interested take up your time.

Also, BitShares supporters in Los Angeles, New York, and South Florida should have little difficulty finding B-List celebrities who might be looking for something to draw attention to them.  Maybe we could recruit some to identify airdrop recipients.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

+5%

This is what I'm thinking but it shouldn't be seen as unfair. While not every community is going to be selected, I do think it makes sense to select entire communities its just a matter of how to do it and get people to verify to claim.

At first verification might not be important because no one has ever done something like this but in the future you're going to have to find some way to make sure 1 person gets 1 airdrop and not 1 person getting 1000 because they hacked 1000 comps or have 1000 sock puppets. It's the sybil attack that I'm concerned about.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

bitbro

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Unimerico - so on point tho.  it will soon be time to hunt.  Let's call this a dev fund and hash out a strategic plan. 

To your point also, airdrops should be strategic too.

+5% Agreed, lets hash away  (no pun intended)  ... what venue/tech would you suggest for collaboration. I'll make myself available and pledge seed money as needed, count me in. 8)

Definitely call it an airdrop. Calling it a dev fund is poor communications and the sort of stuff which will lead to confusion. If every other community is calling this behavior an airdrop then it's an airdrop. You can do a targeted strategic airdrop as marketing, but remember the purpose of an airdrop is to create as many passionate long term stakeholders as possible.

It's marketing, but it's also distribution. These people should not be seen merely as customers, but as a sort of volunteer who are paid in crypto asset appreciation. They will want to market it because they have it and they'll want to buy more if they find that it's going up and making them a profit.

So you want lots of people to have it, both people in strategic positions like social media giants but also the people on certain forums, or who are part of entire blockchains provided that the community of holders is shown to truly understand certain concepts and innovate.

Whoever buys Spacecoins in my opinion knows what a DAC is and that is the person who should receive an airdrop just as a reward for buying Spacecoins and testing out MaidSafe.

The only reason I hesitated with the dropping on entire blockchains is because if its done proportionally then people who unfairly stole a lot of coins might benefit. If it's dropped on forums or through some other means it's safer that way. Generally though if you look at a blockchain and the distribution isn't completely unfair then it's not a bad idea to do a blockchain drop, but it's definitely important to find a way to do it where the people are encouraged to prove ownership and claim it in a process which verifies they are a person and not a botnet.

Forum membership for example can be used to give out more shares as these people would be verified. Keyhotee is probably the best way. Blockchain distribution should be used but a person should receive more points and thus more shares as they verify their identity even if it's a forum identity and a digital signature.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:47:21 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
IMHO, Airdrops as proposed here and elsewhere are mostly misguided.

Failing restaurants, clubs, etc... Will opt to give away their product via groupons and all you can eat/drink specials. This type of shotgun/Hail Mary marketing is wasteful.

For a high percentage shot you need to research, aim and fire. I propose a "Strategic Targeted Airdrop":

Find specific much more vertical pockets/communities.
Find specific brick and mortar companies and merchants...
Find specific high profile individuals, celebrities, political and business figures, etc...
Solicit endorsements
pay for spokesmen
buy celeb tweets
etc...

Imagine a hospital with poor occupancy, should they give away services? or give shares/equity to doctors that will bring paying patients.

Should the fledgling restaurant give away food, drop prices and quality or partner with event planners and caterers?

An Airdrop implies and in effect picks a general area, drops something of value, people then randomly scavenge. often the early arrivers hoard or go back to the village and gouge those to weak to reach the drop zone.

Instead, I propose we:

Solicit the already vested Bitshares community to nominate worthy recipients.

Recipients must add value to the BitShares community:

Developers
Social media giants
Related community leaders
News worthy charities

This may sound calculating, slightly Machiavellian and not very altruistic , it is and yes it's not. This is business not charity. But in the end it allows us to continue our mission which is worthy and does serve the greater good.

Giveaways are for charity (swag at best) this is business, we behave accordingly or pay the consequences.

I support this way of doing it. Let's call it a targeted airdrop rather than a mere airdrop. The heat seeking missile rather than the carpet bomb as our meme and metaphor to explain it.

I propose the first community for the airdrop be the Blackcoin community. Their innovative use of the multipool and being the first Proof of Stake coin to find a way to market itself as effectively as a Proof of Work coin shows that there are brilliant minds in that community. Additionally look at the memes and marketing around the coin, it's also brilliant.

As for individuals, the folks developing MaidSafe are a good candidate. Also people who buy Safecoins, they'd fit the profile too in my opinion. If we can agree on who the social media giants are then maybe but giving it to people who are merely giants might make it look like it's not fair so we have to give to people who aren't giants as well.

So I do think we should airdrop entire blockchains and communities, but we should carefully look at what the community is doing before forming a strategic partnership.

I'm not against giving targeted airdrops on an individual level, but I think to do it right you want to airdrop to as wide of a social network as you can so this should encompass as many people as you can find. To do that you'll have to reward entire blockchains or communities but you do have some communities that are able to add value to the Bitshares community (such as the two I just mentioned).

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:34:43 pm by luckybit »

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

There are a lot of ideas being floated that are being called airdrops.  I assume airdrop is an analogy to leaflets being dropped over an area.  An even distribution.  Then on bitshares.org the term was used with blockchains.

Now you guys talk about other things which no longer seem to even fit the analogy of airdrop.  This creates problems because the discussion of the merits of the blockchain airdrop are lost and it isn't even at odds with other suggested marketing ploys.  You're muddying the discussion and it doesn't help the 2 things to be discussed in a productive manner.

Personally, I'd like to see a group of guys who are passionate and read a lot of crypto-currency media (reddit..  everything)  and are willing to take the side of Bitshares.  I'd like to see someone who is in charge of a small pool of money to tip these people.  I see the competitor mentioned all too often and no Bitshares in sight.  This seems like it could be fixed and cheaply by finding the right guys in the community.

Please let me know everywhere you find a reddit post that should be answered and I will go there personally and do so.  Others who wish to saddle up and ride out with me in this battle are welcome.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

There are a lot of ideas being floated that are being called airdrops.  I assume airdrop is an analogy to leaflets being dropped over an area.  An even distribution.  Then on bitshares.org the term was used with blockchains.

Now you guys talk about other things which no longer seem to even fit the analogy of airdrop.  This creates problems because the discussion of the merits of the blockchain airdrop are lost and it isn't even at odds with other suggested marketing ploys.  You're muddying the discussion and it doesn't help the 2 things to be discussed in a productive manner.

Personally, I'd like to see a group of guys who are passionate and read a lot of crypto-currency media (reddit..  everything)  and are willing to take the side of Bitshares.  I'd like to see someone who is in charge of a small pool of money to tip these people.  I see the competitor mentioned all too often and no Bitshares in sight.  This seems like it could be fixed and cheaply by finding the right guys in the community.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline unimercio

• View Profile
Unimerico - so on point tho.  it will soon be time to hunt.  Let's call this a dev fund and hash out a strategic plan. 

+5% Agreed
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:49:43 am by unimercio »

Offline unimercio

• View Profile
At that point why not just call it a dev fund instead of an airdrop

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
+5% yes, it serves as a dev fund and anything that benefits the new DAC and PTS/AGS holders

bitbro

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
At that point why not just call it a dev fund instead of an airdrop

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline unimercio

• View Profile
IMHO, Airdrops as proposed here and elsewhere are mostly misguided.

Failing restaurants, clubs, etc... Will opt to give away their product via groupons and all you can eat/drink specials. This type of shotgun/Hail Mary marketing is wasteful.

For a high percentage shot you need to research, aim and fire. I propose a "Strategic Targeted Airdrop":

Find specific much more vertical pockets/communities.
Find specific brick and mortar companies and merchants...
Find specific high profile individuals, celebrities, political and business figures, etc...
Solicit endorsements
pay for spokesmen
buy celeb tweets
etc...

Imagine a hospital with poor occupancy, should they give away services? or give shares/equity to doctors that will bring paying patients.

Should the fledgling restaurant give away food, drop prices and quality or partner with event planners and caterers?

An Airdrop implies and in effect picks a general area, drops something of value, people then randomly scavenge. often the early arrivers hoard or go back to the village and gouge those to weak to reach the drop zone.

Instead, I propose we:

Solicit the already vested Bitshares community to nominate worthy recipients.

Recipients must add value to the BitShares community:

Developers
Social media giants
Related community leaders
News worthy charities

This may sound calculating, slightly Machiavellian and not very altruistic , it is and yes it's not. This is business not charity. But in the end it allows us to continue our mission which is worthy and does serve the greater good.

Giveaways are for charity (swag at best) this is business, we behave accordingly or pay the consequences.