Author Topic: Hi Dan, any comment on the noise from Sovryn Tech latest talk show on bitshares?  (Read 7521 times)

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile
It was weird. There was nothing substantive at all. It was like they woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day and decided to badmouth bitshares. I really like LTB but that episode was super sketchy. Kind of disappointing.

1 - Sovryn Tech is not Let's Talk Bitcoin, or on the LTB network.

2 - At Toronto the whisper was "Mastercoin is preparing to pay a big fine for taking less than a million USD in fundraising, and if they had taken more than 1 million it would be not possible to pay the fine and instead has harsher repercussions"  - Nobody wants to cause a panic, I suspect Brian was hedging his bets so if something happens to invictus he can say "Well I warned you" but not lock himself into saying the sky is falling if nothing winds up happening.   This message is definitely being stoked by the Ethereum people who feel it is a competitive advantage to have set up in Switzerland with whom they have good government contacts.

The problem with Bitshares is they started selling a product before they had one, and have had no problem taking money all along the way promoting whatever is currently being worked on.  As such, there are many people who feel they were sold a false bill of goods.  Those people can upturn the apple cart pretty badly if they sue Invictus, which will make the project very difficult to complete.

The problem of course with Invictus is there is no escape valve for the funds invested in the venture, so they don't care about investors. They already have the funds.  They just want to be left alone to work, which would be fine except they're still taking time to promote and network and pivot the vision based on what they think is right, but it's very seat-of-the-pants and makes me nervous. 

Mostly though, I think a lot of us feel like we are trapped.  Whether in PTS or AGS, selling now is to your detriment and Invictus can keep this up for as long as they want, individual supporters have no option but to wait.

Hey Adam, do you have a link to the Mastercoin issue? I don't really understand that quote.

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
It was weird. There was nothing substantive at all. It was like they woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day and decided to badmouth bitshares. I really like LTB but that episode was super sketchy. Kind of disappointing.

1 - Sovryn Tech is not Let's Talk Bitcoin, or on the LTB network.

2 - At Toronto the whisper was "Mastercoin is preparing to pay a big fine for taking less than a million USD in fundraising, and if they had taken more than 1 million it would be not possible to pay the fine and instead has harsher repercussions"  - Nobody wants to cause a panic, I suspect Brian was hedging his bets so if something happens to invictus he can say "Well I warned you" but not lock himself into saying the sky is falling if nothing winds up happening.   This message is definitely being stoked by the Ethereum people who feel it is a competitive advantage to have set up in Switzerland with whom they have good government contacts.

The problem with Bitshares is they started selling a product before they had one, and have had no problem taking money all along the way promoting whatever is currently being worked on.  As such, there are many people who feel they were sold a false bill of goods.  Those people can upturn the apple cart pretty badly if they sue Invictus, which will make the project very difficult to complete.

The problem of course with Invictus is there is no escape valve for the funds invested in the venture, so they don't care about investors. They already have the funds.  They just want to be left alone to work, which would be fine except they're still taking time to promote and network and pivot the vision based on what they think is right, but it's very seat-of-the-pants and makes me nervous. 

Mostly though, I think a lot of us feel like we are trapped.  Whether in PTS or AGS, selling now is to your detriment and Invictus can keep this up for as long as they want, individual supporters have no option but to wait.
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline godzirra

• View Profile

Offline sfinder

• 4 Cores CPU+100GB SSD+anti-DDoS Pro
    • View Profile
Hi Stan, please do not under estimate the noise out of Sovryn Tech latest talk show.  if 3I's marking team is not able to sell your idea to technical talk show host then how you can promote your brilliant share idea to the rest of the world who has no any technical background. 

Twitter him @sovryntech , asap

thanks
微博:星在飘我在找|BTS X 受托人delegate ID:baidu
中国教育书店合作将20%收入捐献给贫困山区学生。
Cooperating with China Education Bookstore and will donate 20% of delegate income to the poor students

Offline oco101

• View Profile
No matter how you are tying to look at it, this is not good. There is something that's not working the way is intended  on the message that 3i is trying to get out there. This should be corrected as soon as possible.   

Offline fuzzy

Maybe they could post on here what they were concerned about? So we can have a constructive discussion.

+5%

No, posting on here for an open accusation like this is harmful enough that it warrants Dan being brought on for a sit-down teaching session.  And if our community doesn't push for this to happen, you can bet that others in the bitcoiner blogosphere will latch on with a bunch of FUD. 

The irony of his statements is priceless. 

If the community actually steps in to make this happen, we might end up posting the Sovryn Tech show here someday: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=4002.msg51448#new
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:39:23 pm by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile
Maybe they could post on here what they were concerned about? So we can have a constructive discussion.

+5%

Offline fuzzy

There was a very low concept to word ratio in the discussion and they failed to provide any evidence for this 'bad feeling.' People who do not understand a concept cannot/should not be attempting to educate or inform others.  Reflects badly on them.

The odd thing I see with Sovryn Tech is that he openly promotes mining--as in nearly all his sponsors are for mining rigs.  This is not a good idea in my humble opinion if you want a decentralized ecosystem to truly flourish.  I like Sovryn Tech, and especially love his idea of "freedom cells" as this was really the basis of what Sovereignty is about...and it is my opinion that bitShares is the closest to actually enabling this with what they are doing.  I am at a loss how he can say one thing and see tech based only on a single blockchain and or sidechains as preferable given his open stance against centralization of power.  I will relisten at some point to make sure I didn't miss something, but I will say this is odd. 

Hi Dan, any comment on the noise from Sovryn Tech latest talk show on bitshares? please listen it from 28:30 of the  sound track.

https://soundcloud.com/sovryntech/sovryn-tech-special-0023-bitcoin-conference-blowout

The major argument was: "I just have some wired feeling".
Aside from that the only substantial thing he said was that he suspects Invictus to have a need to ride on the fame/publicity that Mastercoin and Ethereum have.
Conclusion: Major goal: Building relationships, being trustworthy. See https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=4059.msg50857#msg50857
Suggestion: Call him up and ask him what exactly he meant and then explain your motivation... In the end it's all about personal trust.... Humans...
Overall: Nothing major, because there was just no strong argument there. But subjective impressions people get matter, this is what this shows.

I feel the community should do their best to contact sovryn tech and focus on getting him to invite Dan on to voice these concerns.  It is precisely this kind of Bitcoiner feedback that causes the "trend" he sees.  The trend I see?  Everyone wants to build on top of bitcoin and altcoins are only there for bitcoin to steal innovation from, and for pump and dumps that enrich whales who are further centralizing control around ASIC mining infrastructure.  Of course, those whales are also part of the system that helps to furnish these shows with income they need to pay for travel and entry to these conferences. 

Sure there is pressure on Dan to find some way to reach out to the Bitcoin community because the movement that started out with "libertarian" enthusiasm has quickly started to morph into a movement where much of the community is supporting the old paradigm, only 2.0.  I recall that this fella not too long ago told Stephane Murphy that he can't really explain Proof of Stake (POS) to her because he is not yet schooled enough on it, so how can he appreciate the true innovation behind what Dan and team are doing with DPOS--and future iterations?  Perhaps he should dive in and actually learn about the real "bleeding edge"?

Something tells me if he were to receive a fat donation of 1000+ bitShares, he'd whistle about how great they are.  This is precisely the reason I do not want to charge people for Beyond Bitcoin.  If this goes well, and we all earn trust from the community, our rewards will come from relationships with people who will always be there if we need them.  This, personally, is a fine reward...

Sincerely hope our community will do what is right and focus our efforts on getting Brian Sovryn to talk to Dan so Dan can have an opportunity to teach him. 

A good post to respond to can be found here.  Please check out Sovryn Tech's twitter account and post your opinions.  Also a good idea to advise him to ask Dan some questions about these things before putting this type of opinion out. Twitter him @sovryntech.   
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:18:14 pm by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline muse-umum

• BitShares everything
    • View Profile
No one is going to be saying "I have a bad feeling" about Bitshares once BTS-X is released, and people see the price of each share skyrocketing.

Let's wait and see whether you are gonna 'eat your words'. :D :D :D

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
No one is going to be saying "I have a bad feeling" about Bitshares once BTS-X is released, and people see the price of each share skyrocketing.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
There was a very low concept to word ratio in the discussion and they failed to provide any evidence for this 'bad feeling.' People who do not understand a concept cannot/should not be attempting to educate or inform others.  Reflects badly on them.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Hi Dan, any comment on the noise from Sovryn Tech latest talk show on bitshares? please listen it from 28:30 of the  sound track.

https://soundcloud.com/sovryntech/sovryn-tech-special-0023-bitcoin-conference-blowout

Great show.  We love listening to those two talk!

Looks like they didn't quite understand our strategy to invite more viewers to our web site by putting more material there of general interest to other communities.

This allows us to compare and contrast different approaches and emphasize a key message that the Decentralized Autonomous Company metaphor is a powerful aid in assessing the relative merits of different approaches.

So this was intended as both an olive branch to invite others to join us in adopting the metaphor and a statement of confidence in our vision for the future of an entire industry.

We are doubling down on what we have been saying.

We are also trying to make Bitshares be bigger than just Invictus.  Invictus is just one member of the community.  Hopefully this will make other developers more comfortable with using the brand and honoring the community that is collectively building that brand.

Looks like that message didn't quite come across in our conversations with Brian and Stephanie in New York.    But they are good friends and we talk with them very chance we get.  It will only take one more conversation to put Brian's uneasiness to rest.

The thing you should take away from this is that they are going to be honest and say what they think, no matter who their friends are. They don't mince words.  You can count on them to say what they feel. This gives me great confidence in listening to their show on any topic they happen to be discussing.

I think in the podcast they are focused more on the product than on the overall creation of a new industry. Nintendo was terrible for the video game industry for a long time. Apple is terrible for the industry too, with patents, closed platform, vendor lock-in, etc. To grow an industry you have to do things more like Microsoft or Linux where you form partnerships, create open platforms, develop open standards and collaborate.

To me it's about creating the industry and while Bitshares is an important product it's not like other products cannot co-exist and even benefit Bitshares by existing.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 05:14:44 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Great show.  We love listening to those two talk!

Looks like they didn't quite understand our strategy to invite more viewers to our web site by putting more material there of general interest to other communities.

This allows us to compare and contrast different approaches and emphasize a key message that the Decentralized Autonomous Company metaphor is a powerful aid in assessing the relative merits of different approaches.

So this was intended as both an olive branch to invite others to join us in adopting the metaphor and a statement of confidence in our vision for the future of an entire industry.

We are doubling down on what we have been saying.

We are also trying to make Bitshares be bigger than just Invictus.  Invictus is just one member of the community.  Hopefully this will make other developers more comfortable with using the brand and honoring the community that is collectively building that brand.

Looks like that message didn't quite come across in our conversations with Brian and Stephanie in New York.    But they are good friends and we talk with them every chance we get.  It will only take one more conversation to put Brian's uneasiness to rest.

The thing you should take away from this is that they are going to be honest and say what they think, no matter who their friends are. They don't mince words.  You can count on them to say what they feel. This gives me great confidence in listening to their show on any topic they happen to be discussing.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 01:05:49 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

The major argument was: "I just have some wired feeling".
Aside from that the only substantial thing he said was that he suspects Invictus to have a need to ride on the fame/publicity that Mastercoin and Ethereum have.
Conclusion: Major goal: Building relationships, being trustworthy. See https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=4059.msg50857#msg50857
Suggestion: Call him up and ask him what exactly he meant and then explain your motivation... In the end it's all about personal trust.... Humans...
Overall: Nothing major, because there was just no strong argument there. But subjective impressions people get matter, this is what this shows.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:22:58 am by delulo »