Author Topic: Just bought a load of PTS  (Read 11601 times)

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
Re: Just bought a load of PTS
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 08:26:55 pm »
I'm just starting to wrap my head around the concept of PTS and decided it's a great opportunity to invest in.

I do understand the idea that the PTS value just before a snapshot increases as the anticipated value of the new DAC is included in the price, just before 10% of the new DAC shares are given to the PTS holders. So what I'm wondering is what happens with the new shares after the snapshot? Do we need another wallet than a standard PTS wallet? Is the wallet compatible with all the various shares? Will these new shares be convertible in some way in more PTS? If so, is there a mechanism in place as we speak? Will the future dividends from every new DAC shares be given in share value (share buy back with destruction of the share, which then rise the price of each share) or in another crypto-currency/equity?

An answer to all these questions will help a lot my understanding of "the gift that keeps on giving".

Thanks

Initially, each new DAC will come with its own wallet. I think the long-term plan is to integrate all DACs together into one wallet with Keyhotee, but that's probably a ways off. When a new DAC is launched, there will be instructions for how to redeem your shares in the DAC that you got through PTS. Your new shares won't magically appear in your PTS wallet, but don't worry - you'll be told what to do when the time comes.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 06:41:15 pm »
I'm just starting to wrap my head around the concept of PTS and decided it's a great opportunity to invest in.

I do understand the idea that the PTS value just before a snapshot increases as the anticipated value of the new DAC is included in the price, just before 10% of the new DAC shares are given to the PTS holders. So what I'm wondering is what happens with the new shares after the snapshot? Do we need another wallet than a standard PTS wallet? Is the wallet compatible with all the various shares? Will these new shares be convertible in some way in more PTS? If so, is there a mechanism in place as we speak? Will the future dividends from every new DAC shares be given in share value (share buy back with destruction of the share, which then rise the price of each share) or in another crypto-currency/equity?

An answer to all these questions will help a lot my understanding of "the gift that keeps on giving".

Thanks

Offline D4vegee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 05:31:20 pm »
Guys, I'm definitely ploughing more into PTS. Ok yeh there might be the occasional dip (a buying opp). But as most have pointed out, the DACs are potentially the true value anyway. And there's only one place they are going. UP!

I think i might invest in some AGS too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 04:30:45 pm »
That's been my main strategy. Pick up PTS and AGS while they're cheap, because the other DACs are really undervalued until X comes out or until particular DACs get close enough that people start hearing about them. Plus, I like their potential.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 04:00:30 pm »
I like the way its currently done. As the above user posted you can choose which DACS you want a piece of. I am also a big fan of cheap PTS :).

I feel that bts-x is going to set the pace so to speak. If it is a great trouble free launch with a nice well working software then it only stands to reason that not only will it increase the value of bts-x but also increase the perceived value of future PTS.

You don't bet on the horse that has never won a race, You bet on the one that is consistently in the top 3.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 03:00:42 pm »
One or two exchanges were confused, but it is inaccurate to say that most halted trading. Exchanges will need to understand the snapshots better, as I believe the Bitshares DACs and their 'coins' will become the bread and butter of most exchanges.

Offline biophil

• View Profile
    • My Academic Website
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 02:50:41 pm »
That is assuming the new DAC begins trading at Snapshot PTS price minus post PTS snapshot price. It could trade for more or it could trade for less. I don't think you could guarantee either way.

They will drop like a ton of bricks after each snapshot of upcoming DACs. Fortunately the price should increase towards that days, too once the snapshot dates are announced.

Aah, i see.. So worth holding onto for now. I would have to be quick in that case to get them onto the exchanges to sell after the DAC snapshot's. Seems a shame to have to keep doing that though, what with the whole bitshares eco system looking like the best economic solution out there right now for the crypto world. Surely invictus are working on a solution? Like some kind of incentive to NOT sell after the snapshot? Just thinking out loud.

Unless a bunch of miners jump on board, with this difficulty you will not be able to be quick.

Another reason you won't be able to be quick (DPOS or no) is that most of the exchanges issued a trading halt, some for a couple days, right around the time of the snapshot.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 02:50:09 pm »

Its like a battery charging up with anticipation, discharging a spark of new DAC life, and then charging up again.  The net amount of energy keeps growing and is conserved across sparks, since all that happens is that some of your value moves into the new chain - which you also own.

That is assuming the new DAC begins trading at Snapshot PTS price minus post PTS snapshot price. It could trade for more or it could trade for less. I don't think you could guarantee either way.

Anything can happen in practice.  In theory, the combined value after a snapshot should go up because the expected value of the realized new DAC is higher than the value of the potential new DAC before the snapshot.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 02:45:07 pm »
Not a problem with DPOS-based PTS 2.0.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 02:34:01 pm »
They will drop like a ton of bricks after each snapshot of upcoming DACs. Fortunately the price should increase towards that days, too once the snapshot dates are announced.

Aah, i see.. So worth holding onto for now. I would have to be quick in that case to get them onto the exchanges to sell after the DAC snapshot's. Seems a shame to have to keep doing that though, what with the whole bitshares eco system looking like the best economic solution out there right now for the crypto world. Surely invictus are working on a solution? Like some kind of incentive to NOT sell after the snapshot? Just thinking out loud.

A lot of people seem to think that the post-snapshot price drops are a problem that needs to be "fixed." I completely disagree! The price drops are just a natural consequence of the market valuation of the new DAC that the snapshot creates. A post-snapshot is not a loss of value; it's a transfer of value to the new DAC. It's hard to see this with the Feb 28 snapshot because it's taken I3 so long to make Bitshares X liquid; in the future, I believe they're going to make sure that snapshots happen much closer to product launches so there won't be this long illiquid waiting period.

Fret not; post-snapshot price drops aren't something to be afraid of. :)

Here is the article where we published the theory behind the characteristic sawtooth pattern of PTS.

Its like a battery charging up with anticipation, discharging a spark of new DAC life, and then charging up again.  The net amount of energy keeps growing and is conserved across sparks, since all that happens is that some of your value moves into the new chain - which you also own.

Unless a bunch of miners jump on board, with this difficulty you will not be able to be quick.

Offline D4vegee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 08:02:22 pm »
I like your reference to mcfly and the doc! A good analogy! Thanks guys for the pointers / re-assurance. To be honest, i would have been reluctant to keep selling, buying PTS anyway. Your replies mean something. I will just keep them - and build up my pot!

Looking forward to the future guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 07:16:39 pm »

A lot of people seem to think that the post-snapshot price drops are a problem that needs to be "fixed." I completely disagree! The price drops are just a natural consequence of the market valuation of the new DAC that the snapshot creates. A post-snapshot is not a loss of value; it's a transfer of value to the new DAC. It's hard to see this with the Feb 28 snapshot because it's taken I3 so long to make Bitshares X liquid; in the future, I believe they're going to make sure that snapshots happen much closer to product launches so there won't be this long illiquid waiting period.

Here is the article where we published the theory behind the characteristic sawtooth pattern of PTS.

Offline soniq

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 07:02:02 pm »
 +5%

+5% +5%
Pr7V9GUm59dtKWXG6RJSymPsyCaCKWwNEj
Soniq on Bitcointalk -- Verified
Bitshares btsx:soniq

Offline biophil

• View Profile
    • My Academic Website
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 04:21:30 pm »

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 03:38:07 pm »
Bitshares Me, Music, Insurance, DNS, Lotto...lots of potential snapshots coming. Those PTS you bought for less than $5, if you hold onto them, may be a holding of historical importance. As long as DACs are coming out, I'm not selling mine, even if the price spikes with a coming snapshot. It's the gift that keeps on giving.