Author Topic: What does the life of a bitAsset look like?  (Read 6485 times)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline NewMine

• View Profile

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
But who wants to hold on to bitUSD if it can be destroyed at anytime?
The short position holder must first repurchase them bitUSD from the long bitUSD holder/s before destroying them.So, it is not exactly ‘destroying them at any time’.
 Hope this helps…
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:59:00 pm by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
It can't, what suggested that? The short destroys his own usd to reclaim collateral. The opposite of the create process

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

clout

But who wants to hold on to bitUSD if it can be destroyed at anytime?

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
BitUSD is destroyed when a short covers to reclaim collateral. Normal buy/sell don't create or destroy, just shorting and covering

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile
when someone who already has bitUSD sells it to someone who is short bitUSD, it is destroyed.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:35:28 am by Agent86 »

clout

I revisited the Introduction to Bitshares video on youtube today, and I realized that I hadn't fully understood how these bitAssets are created and destroyed. I understand that the bitUSD is created when you have a long and short position that can agree to the price of the bitUSD/bts. So now we have a bitUSD which is collateralized by the short position, but what happens when the person shorting covers his/her position? It would make sense to me that the short position repurchases the bitUSD on the open market thereby switching his/her obligation to collateralizing the bitUSD he originally created. In this instance the second seller of the bitUSD is not creating new bitUSD, but instead rebacking old bitUSD. Assuming the margin calls are conducted in the same way where the bitUSD is still purchased on the open market I don't see how any bitUSD is ever destroyed. Can someone please explain to me if and how bitUSD is destroyed?