Author Topic: How is BitShares capitalized?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
It seems to me we are trying to establish bitshares as a broadly used and adopted almost generic term for the inevitable wave of profitable DACs.  For this use I think all lower case makes the most sense.

I could see an argument to referring to the name of a particular DAC like "Bitshares X" with capital B because it is almost like the name of a company, but when used in the generic sense it is all lowercase.

Seconded. I think we can treat bitshares as if it is already a common English word, and use it all lowercase in normal sentences. When referring to a particular entity/product/etc. (e.g. Bitshares X) or at the start of sentences/in titles/whatever we can use Bitshares, capitalized like a proper noun. Similar to the way bitcoin/Bitcoin is used now. I'm not a fan of the camelcase BitShares as I think it's harder on the eyes and people will be lazy/ignorant about the extra capitalization anyway.

But there should be a consensus among the whole team. Then it should be changed on every single web page now, and on every document going forth, to all read the same way. It looks kind of disjointed. That will undermine the overall confidence people have in the Bitshares ecosystem, even if they don't catch it consciously.

+1 I definitely get this vibe looking at bitshares.org, hence why I made this post.

absolutely agreed - will go all over site to update "BitShares" after i've finished x.info design & GUI updates over the weekend!
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Funny, I just discussed this with Bytemaster a few days ago.  For consistency and so the "bitsh" part is not as noticeable (for obvious reasons) we decided to use BitShares with both Bit and Shares capitalized, in all instances. This is the new answer to our FAQ, which I'm editing and tweaking for our site update.  Please use BitShares as you see it here: BitShares.

B

I was looking on github the bitshares logo,  and was very happy finally I saw it there...
I was concentrated at it and then I realized that something doesn't like me...

the blue shell is like a lowercase "b" so I expected to see that on our brand name too...  BitShares... BitShares... BitShares  nowhere is "b", our logo...
wait why not writing it ...  bitshares...   wait a minute there is my "b" , I recognize my logo... wow!

b bitshares

Anybody that reads  "bitshares", in a subconscious way "sees" our shell "b" logo !!!   Think about it seriously.       "bitshares"

PS consider something else too...
     bitshares is all about bitASSETS
     bitshares is all about bitUSD

what about...

bit$hares        (bit$=bitUSD)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:00:28 am by liondani »

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

Funny, I just discussed this with Bytemaster a few days ago.  For consistency and so the "bitsh" part is not as noticeable (for obvious reasons) we decided to use BitShares with both Bit and Shares capitalized, in all instances. This is the new answer to our FAQ, which I'm editing and tweaking for our site update.  Please use BitShares as you see it here: BitShares.

B

Thanks for succinct clarification. 

I like the camel case and think it's a good choice.

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum

B

forum updated. Will wait for the new logo.
Forum Donation: PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile

B

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
You can always send a pull request with suggested edits
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline vikram

It seems to me we are trying to establish bitshares as a broadly used and adopted almost generic term for the inevitable wave of profitable DACs.  For this use I think all lower case makes the most sense.

I could see an argument to referring to the name of a particular DAC like "Bitshares X" with capital B because it is almost like the name of a company, but when used in the generic sense it is all lowercase.

Seconded. I think we can treat bitshares as if it is already a common English word, and use it all lowercase in normal sentences. When referring to a particular entity/product/etc. (e.g. Bitshares X) or at the start of sentences/in titles/whatever we can use Bitshares, capitalized like a proper noun. Similar to the way bitcoin/Bitcoin is used now. I'm not a fan of the camelcase BitShares as I think it's harder on the eyes and people will be lazy/ignorant about the extra capitalization anyway.

But there should be a consensus among the whole team. Then it should be changed on every single web page now, and on every document going forth, to all read the same way. It looks kind of disjointed. That will undermine the overall confidence people have in the Bitshares ecosystem, even if they don't catch it consciously.

+1 I definitely get this vibe looking at bitshares.org, hence why I made this post.

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I vote for Big B. As in, this is a Bold idea.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
"bitshares" signals that it is a concept,
"Bitshares" signals that it is an entity.

This is also reflects the real uncertainty we have seen, and so perhaps not a random oscillation. Thus, we need a real decision - ideally backed by a good reason.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
from michael dean:

--Is the conical way to write the name of bitshares:
Bitshares (like Bitcoin)
or
BitShares (camel case, like BitTorrent).
?

I've seen it both. I've even seen it a third way, like the page titles at the top of the browser on most (all?) pages on bitshares.org, it's all small letters, like:
bitshares

I think it doesn't matter which (though I like either of the first two but not the third). But there should be a consensus among the whole team. Then it should be changed on every single web page now, and on every document going forth, to all read the same way. It looks kind of disjointed. That will undermine the overall confidence people have in the Bitshares ecosystem, even if they don't catch it consciously.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

From the FAQ on bitshares.org: http://bitshares.org/faq/

Quote from: bitshares.org
This is a good question and it depends upon who you ask. We currently recommend all lowercase all the time with the exception of the start of sentences.

Edited to reflect the decision to utilize camelcase: BitShares
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:45:48 pm by G1ng3rBr34dM4n »

Offline vikram

bitshares.org seems to use 'BitShares', 'Bitshares', and 'bitshares' in different places.