Author Topic: [meta] Favorite Bounty Suggestions  (Read 6721 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Now I am done with 17. mai and Tusenfryd. Fun!

To business: these are the current suggested bounties, http://pad.xeroc.org/p/Community_Bounties (feel free to add more!)

From these I would prioritize the following:

1. I think allowing people to establish reputation is important (bytemaster insight), and I think monthly awards (e.g. 3 awards a 10 PTS, most helpful, most inspirational, most creative, most innovative, most constructive critic, ..) might be an okay way to do it. And it might be good to give these 3 people a mention or small spot (e.g. 50-100 words) in the monthly newsletter as well.

2. We should update our visual explanations of the snapshot with more accurate timings. And we should also have a bounty for visual rendition of the front-end future of the Bitshares Ecosystem. But for this we need input from the I3 team in written language what the future might look like.

3. The best route to meme-creation is via a reddit-tip bot, so we should have a bounty for the creation of a reddit-tip bot; but in light of the conversion of Bitshares-PTS to DPOS, it might be better to put that idea on hold.

4. The second best route to meme-creation might be to simply award users in a thread on this forum and get the facebook, reddit, and bitcointalk channels to advertise it. (Toast did not like the meme creation idea because it is awkward to judge, do people agree with this?)

5. A unique service bounty for diverse tasks that are impossible to predict. This will require case-by-case judgement, but it should be seen as a thank-you gift.

I think something like 30 PTS for awards (giving thanks), 10 PTS for updated visual of snapshot (visual explanation, roadmap), 20 PTS for imagining the front-end of the bitshares ecosystem (visual hype), 20 PTS for meme-creation thread (visual fun). 30 PTS set aside for unique service bounty (allowing for retrospective tipping).

With this list I have not yet gotten to bounties for written content or editing, and I have not included bounties for bridging the 2nd gen crypto communities. Given 150 PTS, the above suggestions exhausts 110 of 150 PTS, so there wouls be 40 PTS left. So what do you guys say?

Imagine that we only have 150 PTS the next month to spend, as a community, what would you prioritize differently from my list? What would you include on the list that I did not? What would you remove from my list?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 12:58:19 pm by CLains »

Offline CLains

• View Profile
So if I understood correctly you suggest to split the bounties between:
- projects that convey the message in a clear and preferably graphical way
- getting the word out to all the right vocal people in other communities

And in both of these to concentrate on bitsharesX.

In light of Toasts comment, I retract exclusive focus on bitsharesX.

Does it make sense to also try and target areas other than the current crypto-watering holes or is it too early for that?

Aside from vaguely defined "stunt" bounties as bait that can catch high-influence people and websites, I think it makes sense to focus our bounties on the communities that have already been attracted to the crypto-space, and to the second gen platforms in particular, and even the people in this very community who I think may have more to offer than we realize.

Don't know if it is too much work, but besides putting up bounties would it also be possible to list some things that need doing even if they don't have bounties attached. If the bitshares projects get a little more traction I'd consider that a very nice bounty already.

Yes, I think this is a very good idea. On thinking about how to allocate resources for bounties, I realize that a lot of what is happening on the forums is done out of goodwill and a sense of helping the community grow. I think incentivizing these things is its own science, with the +5% being the only technology we have. So far I think that showing appreciation, highlighting individuals and their contributions, and committing their act to memory is important for these kinds of things to happen more frequently.

And last but not least (don't know if I mentioned this before) conversing via the forums might be a tad slow and cumbersome, maybe organizing a realtime video/voice-chat thinktank session might speed things up a bit. It would only require a pre-announced time, date and maybe set of topics and a public accessible channel.

Yes, we should do this sometime. We can set up a thread and create a new http://pad.xeroc.org/ for reference. I will be very busy tomorrow though, Norway Independence Day. ;)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Dont forget .p2p, lotto, and ME are all expected to come out before bts x

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline JoeyD

So if I understood correctly you suggest to split the bounties between:
- projects that convey the message in a clear and preferably graphical way
- getting the word out to all the right vocal people in other communities

And in both of these to concentrate on bitsharesX.

Does it make sense to also try and target areas other than the current crypto-watering holes or is it too early for that?

Don't know if it is too much work, but besides putting up bounties would it also be possible to list some things that need doing even if they don't have bounties attached. If the bitshares projects get a little more traction I'd consider that a very nice bounty already.

And last but not least (don't know if I mentioned this before) conversing via the forums might be a tad slow and cumbersome, maybe organizing a realtime video/voice-chat thinktank session might speed things up a bit. It would only require a pre-announced time, date and maybe set of topics and a public accessible channel. I'm no expert, but the mumble-server listed on this forums seems to work reliably every time I tried it. Google hangouts does have more features, but to me also seems to be more prone to glitches, lag and bad audio.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
The budget is now 150 PTS! Let us try to put the money to good use.

Edited in light of Toasts comment

First, I am thinking we should brush up on the content and find visual artists to help render the concepts and the vision of the front-end experience intelligible. A related point is to get clear on the stages of development that are required to reach that vision; everyone will feel more comfortable with a clear list (graphic) of goals to be reached in the next few months.

Second, all crypto-communities are on a cool-down now and not much is happening, so there is little activity on all crypto forums and difficult to attract people to complete bounties. One way to make peace with this silence is to focus inward on our own community; another way to exploit the cool-down is to forge connections between us and the nodes that are currently active in other crypto communities, as they are likely the "hard core" of those communities, and they now have energy to make friends and deal with external requests in their free time.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:15:28 am by CLains »

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Post your favorite bounty suggestions here!

This thread if where you voice your opinion on your favorite bounty suggestions!

Here are some to chose from, http://pad.xeroc.org/p/Community_Bounties

Related thread: Post sketches of bounty ideas here!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:40:01 am by CLains »