Author Topic: Professional writer who understands all the details  (Read 33513 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Question: what exactly are the benefits of honouring the social consensus?

Every possible benefit. Hono(u)ring the social consensus brings you a tailor-made base of investors, miners, developers, boosters, savvy users, and even customers. You are creating stakeholders with an incentive to drive your DAC product, promote it virally, and ENSURE it succeeds financially and otherwise. And you are getting the benefit of Invictus' open source software, plus the support of the whole community of developers (Invictus included). Honoring the social contract costs you nothing, because your remaining stake after the PTS/AGS drop (as high as 80% that you still own) will be MUCH more valuable.

Furthermore, I would not want to be a DAC developer/owner who does NOT honor the social consensus, because with all the developers around here, someone will fork your product immediately and sharedrop it via the social consensus. Everyone in this community will be hell bent on ensuring the success of that new competitor DAC over yours. The marketing and sales cost of matching the social consensuswill be prohibitively expensive. In other words, watch the new competitor DAC (that DID honor the social consensus) sail right by you on the road as your product drives into the ditch.

very good explanation .. need to add this to my techtalk about angelshares ... maybe we can write an article about the social consensus itself?

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Merocktar -

I would suggest you ask questions of things you are confused about.  I would hope Bitshares marketing people use your questions to understand where they could improve.  Whether by discovering where the documentation is confusing or just what concepts are the most complicated.  Merockstar could basically be a 1 man focus group.
I speak for myself and only myself.

merockstar

ive edited the post with the rough draft on it and replaced it with revision number two, trying to incorporate all the suggestions given.

give it another look if you would :)

merockstar

but also Stan should weigh in with what sort of support I3 can offer new DAC devs

this is what I'm getting at.

merockstar

because with all the developers around here, someone will fork your product immediately and sharedrop it via the social consensus.

assuming your DAC is open source

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Every possible benefit. Hono(u)ring the social consensus brings you a tailor-made base of investors, miners, developers, boosters, savvy users, and even customers. You are creating stakeholders with an incentive to drive your DAC product, promote it virally, and ENSURE it succeeds financially and otherwise. And you are getting the benefit of Invictus' open source software, plus the support of the whole community of developers (Invictus included). Honoring the social contract costs you nothing, because your remaining stake after the PTS/AGS drop (as high as 80% that you still own) will be MUCH more valuable.

Furthermore, I would not want to be a DAC developer/owner who does NOT honor the social consensus, because with all the developers around here, someone will fork your product immediately and sharedrop it via the social consensus. Everyone in this community will be hell bent on ensuring the success of that new competitor DAC over yours. The marketing and sales cost of matching the social consensuswill be prohibitively expensive. In other words, watch the new competitor DAC (that DID honor the social consensus) sail right by you on the road as your product drives into the ditch.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:36:59 am by donkeypong »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
but also Stan should weigh in with what sort of support I3 can offer new DAC devs
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

merockstar

Question: what exactly are the benefits of honouring the social consensus? I mean, other than targetting demographics of coin holders with an airdrop.

yea, this community would love you. but would invictus get behind you with marketing and legal help if necessary and AGS funds? sorry if this has already been answered somewhere.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:17:34 am by merockstar »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
(One tiny point:  we have been using the term Social Consensus rather than Social Contract to be a bit more accurate and avoid any unintended implications.)
Hug .. I missed that :(

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
This is producing some great work!   :)

(One tiny point:  we have been using the term Social Consensus rather than Social Contract to be a bit more accurate and avoid any unintended implications.)

Other paragraphs that might be expanded are the idea of "targeting" sharedrops to specific demographics.  Every altcoin in existence represents a demographic of some type (dog lovers, mars colonizers, whatever) so developers no longer need to burn more electricity to get a fair distribution (ahem, at least among technophiles).  Now you can pick whatever mix of existing distributions you need (including your competitors' customers) to get your DAC up and running with just the right audience!
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I can help you, but I think you're doing a pretty good job.  A better writer than I am.  I have to edit a lot because of my screwy syntax etc.

One minor point, and that is that I don't think the auroracoin guys coerced the Icelandic government.  They just used the national id system that was already in place.  (I think.. not sure of details).  A minor change.

If you want to work on this interactively you can join the mumble server.  I was hanging out on there tonight with fuznuts.  You can either type or talk.  If you would rather use the chat system on here then that'd be ok too.  (I have not used it... and i had to block bitsharestalk.org on my main computer to help myself get work done.. but i'll probably start hanging out on mumble server at night..)

Mumble instructions are found here.  http://www.beyondbitcoinshow.com/index.php/get-involved

Otherwise keep up the good work and I think by posting here and having everyone suggesting a few things you'll end up with some quality stuff.
I speak for myself and only myself.

merockstar

if your writings are as good as stan's...  ;D

so much for that. lol not even trying to compete with stan.

Both you and the  translator could earn the reward.

I'm not that concerned about the reward.

I would happily accept a reward if offered, but I'm not functioning under the assumption that my writing is good enough to justify compensation. I figure I could just repost it all to devtome and get paid anyway if 3i doesn't wanna buy it (maybe even if they do, would that be okay? can marketing material be creative commons?).

xeroc: thank you for the feedback. i'm starting to fall asleep but I will try to implement your suggestions tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:06:30 am by merockstar »

Offline yinchanggong

• View Profile
    • 微博 引长弓Fate
alright, i'm on this.

gamey, biophil, tbkmcjl i say we make it a collaborative effort.

between us and anybody else who wants to have some input we oughta be able to comprise one person with complete understanding who isn't a dev.

i'll post it here and credit anybody who helps me with it by pointing out things to address and/or proofreading it.

so, I'm literally trying to come up with something as we speak, i figure i'll just go down toast's list.

first thing's first, snapshots and airdrops-- i'm pretty sure I have a solid understanding of those concepts, but if there's any points you'd like to make sure I don't miss, please post them now.

also, wtf is a market peg? does that refer to how bitUSD and bitGOLD would be pegged to their real life market values so that people can short?

toast, and other devs, your input is certainly welcome, but don't feel obliged-- i know you guys are busy and we got this (i hope).

as for thread necromancy... im pretty sure it was still on the first or second page, i think that says something about the size of this community (and the potential for profit if these DAC things blow up) :P

yinchanggong-- i wish i spoke mandarin, bro
I think someone will translate english to mandarin if your writings are as good as stan's...  ;D Both you and the  translator could earn the reward.
BTSX delegate: google.helloworld    microsoft.helloworld
BTSX Account:yinchg   Manager of BTSXCHINA Charity Fund
引长弓Fate 新浪微博

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
So imagine that you've developed a new DAC, coded it up and you're all ready to go. You decide to honor the social contract by airdropping a certain percent of your initial coin/share distribution to PTS/AGS holders, so you take a snapshot. Now you have a list of wallets belonging to the holders of PTS and AGS that you'd like to compensate. Through programming magic you can now reward those groups of people for their support by designating a certain amount of your premine to be distributed proportionally to the wallets on those lists. You simply include them in the blockchain from the beginning.
Maybe you can add more incentives for the developer to do that airdropping and honor the social contract. I will go through Stans posts and search for his words. He had some well written arguments.

// EDIT:  quotes are in:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=5095.msg66940#msg66940
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=4696.0;all
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1890.msg53472#msg53472

When holders of PTS and AGS see that you've done this they can download the client for your new DAC and import their corresponding private keys from the addresses you just rewarded, allowing them to claim your offering, your airdrop.
That might be out-dated due to security issues. Importing privkeys from snapshots into third-party DACs is considered a bad idea
Read more: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=4732.0;all

Snapshots aren't limited exclusively to PTS and AGS, you could give a portion of your premine to the Peercoin community if you wanted simply by tacking on a snapshot of their blockchain. This allows you to kickstart a community for your DAC by having a certain percentage of your coins/shares distributed to a demographic who already knows what to do with them.
Please elaborate a alittle around the social contract .. so that PTS/AGS get 10% share .. but may get more, i.e. in bitsharesX.

Besides these points it's a well written piece! Thx
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 07:51:42 am by xeroc »