Author Topic: What are the biggest issues with Crypto Shares?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
But "crypto-shares" and "crypto-equities" are generic terms; they are academic ways to describe this new class of opportunities. At a retail level, those terms are not going to be used on a daily basis. When people hear that blueberries are healthy for you, they won't necessarily associate that with a flavonoid substance in the berries called anthocyanins. People could care less about anthocyanins, and most wouldn't know the word if they heard it. They just know that blueberries are good for you, and they happen to taste good, and so people eat them.

Do people use Facebook because they are intrigued by the possibilities of online social networking services? Most of them couldn't put those four words together. They choose to use it because it's cool and their friends use it. The same thing must be true here. At a retail level, the academic terms may not matter as much as the look and feel and coolness factor. If others are doing it, then people will take the time to learn what they have to do (such as convert from fiat), but we can sure hope that there are some easy ways to overcome these types of obstacles.

The nerds and libertarians (neither term used disparagingly) will be the first ones using this and blazing the trail, as with Bitcoin. If lots of people from the Bitcoin community used Bitshares, it would be a resounding success. Their learning curve is not a steep one for this and if they show it works well (which is happening with the current growth and growing pains of Bitcoin), then others will take notice.

Offline JakeThePanda

• View Profile
The more I think about this, I have this thought that "CryptoShares" sounds better and is more understandable than crypto-equities. just, IMHO. 

** add **

Maybe it's even a better term for Bitcoin 2.0, because wtf is Bitcoin 2.0?, anyway?

I disagree.  The problem isn't in the term "shares" or "equity".  The public already understands these terms from the financial and real estate markets.  The problem is "crypto".  It's a scary sounding word.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
Another issue with cryptoshares could be Security   & Insurance

As things are with desktop wallets, a person's finances are guarded by only by one's own self.  There is no insurance in case of theft.
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline davidpbrown

- Devs expectation that their cryptoshares matter; where really it's just a tool and one of many.
- Confidence in the value of shares.

What is available already on XCP and NXT look to to be without merit opportunist scams, aside from a couple that look to be naive attempts as something real without understanding marketing. Any release of shares needs to evidence their real value; the method used then should be incidental and trivially easy to action. So, statements of commitment to the value of them; evidence of the real potential for the company issuing those.

Take MaidSafe as a good example of doing it right, relative to having a product. Well prepared and a tonne of kudos academic papers and patents; they come to crypto market and opt for going via Mastercoin and make a couple of errors relative to what crypto is and the reaction of those in the current marketplace. Aside from that appearing as a mess, they did it right in that the method is irrelevant relative to the importance of having a product with real potential.

Also, I suspect those looking to crypto, likely underestimate what the future will mean for the base support. I would expect that investors will be more engaged by the nature of being willing at this stage. We have a market currently mixed with devs; early investors; and nearing a point where we see too many hipsters.. mainstream will be a different beast again.

So, being wise to who the audience is will be important. Products that engage the audience and don't expect Joe Public might do best.

I hope later there will see some wonder product launch, that will create a new channel of people's engaging cryptocurrencies; rather than as it is now, just Bitcoin - although apparently NXT is close to having a direct fiat-NXT route.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:24:31 pm by davidpbrown »
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
to cryptoSHARES, legal uncertainty, education.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
+ education and knowledge/fear of unknown

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
+5% transfer from fiat to crypto

+volatily

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
There are boulders to move, and we should have the dynamite ready.  What are the biggest obstacles to an individual's adoption of CryptoShares in your eyes?  (e.g. transfer from fiat to crypto)
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.