Author Topic: SUGGESTION/PETITION/PLEA: Move the Off-Topic forum UP to the Discussion section  (Read 3966 times)

Offline solaaire

• praise the sun!
    • View Profile

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum
awesome, glad to see im not alone on this one!

Amazon, any word on if/when this is gonna happen? I think Gamey made some pretty compelling arguments : )

We will have new "Crypto Economy" board in the general discussion category, I am talking to cass to make board icons for the new board. It will be on once the icons are ready.

The off-topic board will also be moved there, renamed as "Random Discussion" with discription "Off-topic".
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:36:44 pm by Amazon »
Forum Donation: PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline solaaire

• praise the sun!
    • View Profile
awesome, glad to see im not alone on this one!

Amazon, any word on if/when this is gonna happen? I think Gamey made some pretty compelling arguments : )

Offline gamey

• View Profile
No no, "off-topic" is like "general discussion" but for off topic, not a subboard for other crypto stuff

Yes.  It should be clearly marked as off topic.  It is just strange this subforum is so close to the bottom that people don't see it.  I think you'd see a little bit more posting going on if this wasn't the case.  Most of the discussion would probably be somewhat fruitful and if someone doesn't want to read it, is is clearly marked 'off topic' in some manner.

Just name it 'Discussions of Randomness' - no negative connotation.  'Random Discussions' would work too, just describe it as off topic etc in the description.

The idea is just to get people who like to use forums posting more here.  Those people should become fans over time.

My basic problem was wanting to post a random news clip but no category fit but this one at the very bottom.  Just a bit backwards, even if you do want to promote Bitshares foremost.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
No no, "off-topic" is like "general discussion" but for off topic, not a subboard for other crypto stuff

I mean keeping the "off-topic" where it is now and create a new one for other stuff.

IMO "crypto economy" discussion is fine in GD for now. I agree off-topic subforum should be moved up to "discussion" though.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum

I mean keeping the "off-topic" where it is now and create a new one for other stuff.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum
Maybe we can combine this, CLains's and the delulo's suggestion into one new board in Discussion section.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=4641.0
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=4733.msg60721#msg60721

Any suggestion of the name? Crypto-economy, Crypto-Industry?

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Good arguments. And maybe call it "free talk" instead of off+topic, which would look awkward near the top.

How about this order? General Discussion, Free Talk ["Feel free to talk about anything and everything!"], Newbie Section ["Introduce yourself!"], Technical Support, Press, Bountiful Bounties.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Yea, he is right.  At this point you wish to foster a community.  Having a general discussion area that is actively used would help.

1) Keeps people off I3/Bitshares drama train until I3/Bitshares starts to produce.
2) Grows community around Bitshares so that when things do get moving, you might have a few more evangelists.

I suspect forums are more effective at building a community, even if twitter/social media helps more get the word out.  I'd posit that forums help your social media quite a bit.  So why not just move the Off-topic forum to the top.  It is practically hidden under things like "bitshares insurance" which probably shouldn't even have its own subforum at this point.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline solaaire

• praise the sun!
    • View Profile
real talk, if there's one thing this message board is missing, its some good old-fashioned internet shitposting.

but really, i think it would be great to get some more casual conversation going on the boards. the technical talk is stimulating but ive also found it can be divisive and seriously draining at times. i think moving the forum up to a place where it will get some eyeballs represents a realopportunity for users to connect with eachother and become invested in the project on a more personal level. tempers flare, investors scare, but there is always solidarity in shitposting.

also, im sure there are a few casual users out there that can't hang with some(any) of the fancy tech talk. us regular folk deserve a place (near the top, of course) to chillpost kittens in peace

EDIT:as a veteran newb, i also request that the newbie board be moved to discussion as well. putting the newb section in an area where it will actually be seen by first time visitors would probably lead to an increase in new user signups and engagement. I recommend moving tech support to make room for newbies. Anyone invested enough to need tech support is gonna scroll down to fix their issues. A first timer is not invested whatsoever, and is far more likely to lose interest if he/she has to exert any effort in order to find meaningful interaction
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:01:06 am by solaaire »