Author Topic: Can Overstock.com list their stock on Bitshares X or ME?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Offline bobmaloney

I think we should probably consider that the best move to be made here is to give Mr. Byrne the best possible advice, which it seems he has yet to receive.

"Wait."

IMO, Brian and Dan should approach Mr. Byrne with a detailed descriptions of the various available platforms, including the risks, benefits, structure, function and possibility of each.

That alone should at convince him to allow the space to develop and mature with smaller projects at least long enough to consider something like Overstock.

Part of that would be waiting for Bitshares X, ME and others to launch.

Overstock would be insane to jump in too soon - being one of the first would be be nice, but I would suspect that with a company offering as much spotlight as Overstock, having a bad launch or experience with blockchain based shares could set back the entire space for a good amount of time.

I think being first to market is being much too overvalued by a few people here.

Bitcoin and Cryptoequities are no longer toys.

Real money is entering the space and it is being carried in new waves of adopters who will be less forgiving of major errors.

The smart people and smart money are not placing maximum value on first-to-market - they are watching and waiting for at least minimal maturation before making significant moves.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Great idea. I would have Brian (or the appropriate person) contact Mr. Byrne's office. This would be a PR coup for Bitshares.

Mastercoin is a tangled web of junk at this point. They seem to be good people and I have nothing against them, but...why Mastercoin?

Offline voldemort628

• View Profile
that can be done using Bitshares ME.
because bitshares X is an entirely different story :D

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Yes he could. You can already issue assets on the test net.
Wooooow:

Code: [Select]
default (unlocked) >>> blockchain_list_registered_assets
[{
    "id": 1,
    "symbol": "LOVE",
    "name": "LOVE",
    "description": "Buy and Send some LOVE!",
    "public_data": null,
    "issuer_account_id": 359,
    "current_share_supply": 7000,
    "maximum_share_supply": 1000000000000000,
    "collected_fees": 0,
    "registration_date": "20140606T114130"
  }

Offline bytemaster

Yes he could. You can already issue assets on the test net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
He and his lawyers need to know about Bitshares.
<shout>BRIAN!!!</shout>
could you please join and give some feedback to the community (if legally possible) .. please?

Offline werneo

• View Profile
    • chronicle of the precession of simulacra
  • BitShares: werneo
Overstock CEO Patrick Byrne
Recorded May 16, 2014 at BITCOIN 2014 in Amsterdam, Holland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkf04kQw1YU#t=59m17s

(@ 59:17)

Question: "When is Overstock going to move their shares over to the blockchain?"

Byrne:
"Funny you say that.... I would consider issuing a security... just to get the first bitcoin security or blockchain security out there. I am also exploring the possibility... we're listed on NASDAQ, but can we be dual-listed....it's possible in the states you can be listed on more than one exchange... I believe we could list on a blockchain kind of exchange. And I have some lawyers... they're talking to two different parties. And if anyone here has a technology or has a solution, call collect. But I would love... at the very list to take our current NASDAQ-traded security and dual-list it... and I would also be interested... in issuing a bond or something... and be the first to list this kind of security."

I would guess his lawyers are talking to Mastercoin and/or XCP developers.

Here's a backgrounder on Patrick Byrne:
http://www.wired.com/2014/02/rise-fall-rise-patrick-byrne/

He and his lawyers need to know about Bitshares.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:32:10 am by werneo »