Author Topic: [BTT] Teaching Bitcointalk about TITAN?  (Read 4130 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
no problem
Thanks.. maybe you can reformat using the board's formating ..
looks a little ugle atm ..

might need some backup when people start asking questions though.
Gonna help out there .. notification active!

merockstar

Maybe someone (not be because I wrote it) should create a link to the bitshares wiki article about TITAN on the BTT forum ... Would someone pls do so? Here's the link:
https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/wiki/AYNTK_TITAN
Topic may be:
[BitShares] All you need to know about Privacy in BitShares/DPOS (Project: TITAN)
No volunteers?!

no problem

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=663984

might need some backup when people start asking questions though.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Maybe someone (not be because I wrote it) should create a link to the bitshares wiki article about TITAN on the BTT forum ... Would someone pls do so? Here's the link:
Topic may be:
[BitShares] All you need to know about Privacy in BitShares/DPOS (Project: TITAN)
No volunteers?!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Topic may be:

Offline fuzzy

So we need a designer!

For a forum thread?  What do you mean?

I like this idea a lot.  In +5% another thread I suggested that the popularity of the Neutrinocoin is due to the current emphasis of privacy.  I think it would be a great time to make a thread about TITAN.  I also agree to keep it from being too technical.  Perhaps the first post could be a simplified version that the average crypto joe will actually read, then a few posts down we stick in the more rigorous explanation.  That way you get the best of both worlds.  Maximize the # of eyes reading the content + technical innovation for those who read past first post. 

I'll post under the beyondbitcoinshow acct asking anyone who has questions or wishes to debate features to show up at the Saturday Dev hangout once you guys do this.

In addition we could plant questions.  lol.  Just post em here and I'll try to see that they show up on BTT if someone is willing to answer them. :)
+5%
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline gamey

• View Profile
So we need a designer!

For a forum thread?  What do you mean?

I like this idea a lot.  In another thread I suggested that the popularity of the Neutrinocoin is due to the current emphasis of privacy.  I think it would be a great time to make a thread about TITAN.  I also agree to keep it from being too technical.  Perhaps the first post could be a simplified version that the average crypto joe will actually read, then a few posts down we stick in the more rigorous explanation.  That way you get the best of both worlds.  Maximize the # of eyes reading the content + technical innovation for those who read past first post. 

I'll post under the beyondbitcoinshow acct asking anyone who has questions or wishes to debate features to show up at the Saturday Dev hangout once you guys do this.

In addition we could plant questions.  lol.  Just post em here and I'll try to see that they show up on BTT if someone is willing to answer them. :)
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
So I found a link explaining stealth addresses:

https://blog.coinjar.com/2014/01/16/stealth-addresses-what-are-they-and-do-i-need-one/

So I can surmise that TITAN is basically this? Can I ask how this differs from darksend or zerocoin?

Yep! It's that + "your stealth addressed is registered to a name a la namecoin".

I believe darksend is coinjoin and other laundering techniques - combining normal transactions in a way that is hard to trace.
Zerocoin is entirely new crypto and has *totally* unlinkable transactions.

Hmm.. which means that we can simply steal the explanation of stealth addresses, talk about how we can register them to a name, and compare the result to Darkcoin and say Anoncoin (++ infographic)! Article done.  :D

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

https://blog.coinjar.com/2014/01/16/stealth-addresses-what-are-they-and-do-i-need-one/

So I can surmise that TITAN is basically this? Can I ask how this differs from darksend or zerocoin?

Yep! It's that + "your stealth addressed is registered to a name a la namecoin".

I believe darksend is coinjoin and other laundering techniques - combining normal transactions in a way that is hard to trace.
Zerocoin is entirely new crypto and has *totally* unlinkable transactions.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline CLains

• View Profile

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Just FYI, TITAN is our independent re-invention of stealth addresses. I don't think we should say "well we have *named* stealth addresses and so this is a new technology".

We can refer to TITAN in our list of features but don't get carried away advertising this as our invention.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Love the initiative xeroc!

However, I do believe that impact will be much greater if there is a layman introduction, without any technical terms, and a marketing ending that highlights why it is interesting and useful in a larger scheme. The easier it is for a reader to absorb, the more respect we get as teachers.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 07:57:08 pm by CLains »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
For those only participating the board, heres a copy of the current draft (unformated):
The pourpose of this article is to teach bitcointalk users about TITAN.
When SATAN meets TITAN
Original Proposal using ECC
Recently, core developer Danial Larimer revealed "Secure Payments to Users by Name". He descripes, based on ellyptic
curve cryptography (ECC), how to generate a unique receiving address for a user.  The scheme works as follows:

Create TempPrivateKey TEMP.PRIVATE_KEY;
    TEMP.PRIVATE_KEY * USER.PUBLIC_KEY  =>  SECRET  =>  ONE_TIME_PRIVATE_KEY  =>  ONE_TIME_ADDRESS

The payee can send his transaction that pays to ONE_TIME_ADDRESS and attaches TEMP.PUBLIC_KEY as message to the transaction.
Every client on the network will be able to perform the following operation:

USER.PRIVATE_KEY * TEMP.PUBLIC_KEY => SECRET => ONE_TIME_PRIVATE_KEY

If   ONE_TIME_PRIVATE_KEY is the one that controls ONE_TIME_ADDRESS  then   user will immediately spend the funds from ONE_TIME_ADDRESS to
a new address because the sender retains the ability to cancel the  transaction.

Note: 
turns  out this  crypto technique already existed and was called   "stealth  addresses". The  fact that we re-invented it is good news though!
However  as the DPOS blockchain allowes for adding the TEMP.PUBLIC_KEY as a  comment to the transaction, the receiver does not need to brute-force  test
if a particular transaction can be spent by him. This is the case for stealth-addresses

Pros:

The following features result from his proposal:

no need to exchange addresses, instead a Name can be given

ability to encode a message and 'from' data into the transaction for payment details

the receiver is anonymous to everyone but the sender as for each payment a temporary one-time address is generated

potential to cancel/retract a transfer if it is not accepted in a timely manner, which is impossible for any other transaction. To prevent chargeback the receiver simply wipes his temporary one-time address

simplifies accounting in the wallet

generates higher fees and dividends

Cons:

Daniel also listed the basic drawbacks of his approach which are namly:

Uses more space in the blockchain

Requires two transactions

Results in higher fees

Optimized Algorithm
However the first drawback go resolved quickly by the use of hierachical extended public keys.
The basic approach can be seen from Daniels pseudocode:

dan   => DANS_EXT_PUBLIC_KEY
    scott => SCOTTS_EXT_PUBLIC_KEY

scott:  Generate OneTimePrivateKey & OneTimePublicKey Pair
    scott:  OneTimePrivateKey * DANS_EXT_PUBLIC_KEY => SECRET
                DANS_EXT_PUBLIC_KEY.child( SECRET ) => RECEIVE_PUBLIC_KEY => RECEIVE_ADDRESS
    scott:  RECEIVE_PUBLIC_KEY * SCOTTS_EXT_PRIVATE_KEY => CHECK_SECRET
                                                        => SHORT_HASH(CHECK_SECRET) == SHORT_SIGNATURE
    scott-broadcast:   OneTimePublicKey + RECEIVE_ADDRESS + ENCRYPT( from scott + SHORT_SIGNATURE, SECRET )
    dan:   OneTimePublicKey * DANS_EXT_PRIVATE_KEY => SECRET
              DANS_EXT_PRIVATE_KEY.child( SECRET ) => RECEIVE_PRIVATE_KEY =>
                             => RECEIVE_PUBLIC_KEY => RECEIVE_ADDRESS

dan:   DECRYPT( data, SECRET ) => "from scott" + SHORT_SIGNATURE
    dan:   SCOTT_EXT_PUBLIC_KEY * RECEIVE_PRIVATE_KEY => CHECK_SECRET => SHORT_HASH(CHECK_SECRET)

This is a variation of stealth addresses (http://www.coindesk.com/stealth-addresses-secret-bitcoin-privacy )   that leverages the
name system to solve the first part of the problem.

Thus, the protocol allows to

Send Anonymously To Any Name => SATAN

or Transfer Invisibly to Any Name  => TITAN

Combining  this with well-known techniques like CoinJoin (darkcoin) or  ring-signatures allowes to completely send and also receive
anonymous transaction

Furthermore, these recent updates shed light to the power of Keyhotee as then
the use of name@xts can address individuals or DACs.

Mailing Money is within reach!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Hey friends,

with all the FUD around Darkcoin and Darksend (which is closed-source and uses coinjoin) we should
let bitcointalk users know about TITAN.

I propose to now draft a forum thread so that these guys can join the discussion.

The testnet now offers a chance to proof and show using practical
examples how TITAN works under the hoods!
I already wrote some lines summing up the development (mostly copy-paste from forum)

Let us please join efforts and pimp that article (you can do directly on the above webpage)

Thoughts?