Author Topic: [FYI] interesting post @ BTT about NEM development  (Read 13506 times)

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight
OK, so it started as an NXT clone and then devs changed their mind  and decided develop their own coin.

lol scam  :P

Offline Mrrr

• View Profile
And recall, NEM did not come out of nowhere, it reached escape velocity from a cesspool of NXT clones where evolution accelerated to a high pitch. x)

That was what I was trying to explain :) Thanks :) NEM was the only one out of 167 that I deemed worthy of my 'interested' post :)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
And recall, NEM did not come out of nowhere, it reached escape velocity from a cesspool of NXT clones where evolution accelerated to a high pitch. x)

Offline Mrrr

• View Profile
I can concur. The price before the listing on the NXT asset exchange was around 0.5BTC (this would mean the stakeholder selling his forum account). Price seems stable between 2-3 BTC for two weeks now.

Its still vapourware of course. But you have to consider that the development team is shaping up, and their PR is amazing. And apart from some loose change in fees all the devs have is the developers stake in a yet to be born crypto, which motivates.

NEM was born when the first boobytrapped NXT source code was released (february somewhere). You had around 20 (some scammy scammy) NXT forks on the boards. Utopianfuture was behind one of them and got good response by the community because of the egalitarian distribution thing. NEM (and NAS) were the only ones to pull through. Utopianfuture shaped up, got a development team together from people that contributed to NXT, started from scratch, and went for it.

I used to be envious at the 73 that were in the original NXT IPO. That was until the day NEM listed on the Nxt Asset Exchange. I'm looking at 1500$ for posting 'interested' on page 17 of a thread on a dodgy internet forum. Talk about ROI :)

Anyways. I'm in the process of listing my stake on the NXT asset exchange for security reasons (I'm not trusting theymos with my 1500$) and in order to do so I needed a NXT wallet.

I downloaded this:

http://nxtra.org/nxt-wallet/

Regardless of what you think of NXT, the above wallet has functionality, ease of use, eye-candy, and a built-in decentralized exchange. It is perhaps the first wallet to come out of crypto that looks like a commercial product. Bytemaster if you are reading this: the stakes have been raised :)

[edited for edits]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:29:36 pm by Mrrr »

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Typically the market knows something. The stake price has been liquid for quite some time now and seems to have settled at a particular price. Also remember that a stake is one four thousandth of the whole cap. 1500 dollars for one is 6 million market cap.. quite reasonable really. They certainly handle the volume of people brilliantly across the threads and complexities. We are just surprised our minor investment turned into 2+ bitcoin, but that is crypto world :D

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I got a stake in the original NEM so I guess that's still valid.
I think it's mostly hype, they were mainly a NXT clone at the time, but felt they were addressing the initial distribution problem associated with POS. Personally I don't think they did and looking at where NXT is now valuation wise, I think NXT has mostly got over that distribution perception hurdle.

I only got a stake to hedge my NXT position, but haven't even looked at NEM again in last few months, so maybe they have some new 'deep innovation' now...

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight
Is NEM just a hype or a real deal? I haven't done my research on it, but so far i only see a hype with no substance to back it up.  :o

Offline gamey

• View Profile
1500 dollars for a nem stake. :o

Cheap, eh ?  :)  NEM is impressive.  A really passionate dev team + putting forth a lot of effort into distribution.  Not familiar with anything similar.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline CLains

• View Profile

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I was reading something dealing with NEM development and they also list Bitshares as an influence.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline jae208

• View Profile
Very interesting :)
Well Bitshares is definitely in the 'deep innovation' side

I don't remember the source but I remember reading that the best predictor
of whether kids will be financially successful later or not is the marshmallow test.

Delayed Gratification

Not IQ or anything but the marshmallow test. 

Instant Gratification=Hunter Gatherer Genes

Delayed Gratification=Farmer Genes

Very interesting stuff
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=426303.msg7122197#msg7122197
Interesting quote:

NEM And The Altcoin Landscape

Unfortunately the altcoin landscape is currently plagued with cheap scams and elaborate pump and dump schemes along with a horde of impulsive people enjoying playing this game. However NEM has nothing to do with this landscape. While we may well go through a cambrian crypto-explosion phase, NEM seems to be already between the fittest and is only getting stronger every passing day.

I know things are more complex but for the sake of simplicity consider the following graph:

The Altcoin Landscape                               
                             Cheap Scams          Elaborate Scams             Clones                Low Innovation         Deep Innovation
                                      I--------------------I--------------------I--------------------I--------------------I

Approx. Time:        1 Day                      1 Week                  1 Month               3 - 6 Months                1 Year
      Approx. Difficulty:      1/10                       2/10                       4/10                       6/10                       10/10
Approx. Value Created:    1 btc                      10 btc                     50 btc                    100 btc                    10000 btc