Author Topic: Ethereum - blockchains that charge rent... dealing with dust..  (Read 2489 times)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
~*~TuringComplete~*~

Damnit man, I was eating when I saw this and bursting in to laughter while trying not to spill really hurts.

That's one of the best depictions of the pixie dust people seem to believe elaborate scripting to be, like magic it will make everything better. Then again, I've also seen people believing that throwing blockchains or distributed anything at something will magically solve all problems.

Since I have two daughters who watch the Tinker Bell stuff nonstop, I can't help but add: "All you need is Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust."

Offline fuzzy

~*~TuringComplete~*~

Damnit man, I was eating when I saw this and bursting in to laughter while trying not to spill really hurts.

That's one of the best depictions of the pixie dust people seem to believe elaborate scripting to be, like magic it will make everything better. Then again, I've also seen people believing that throwing blockchains or distributed anything at something will magically solve all problems.
+5%
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline JoeyD

~*~TuringComplete~*~

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
~*~TuringComplete~*~
lol

I see you argument .. and I think this is a much discussed topic.. let's not repeat all that (my fault)

Anyway. I think we (bitshares) are on a good track with not making the blockchain turing complete!

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
However, Ethereum wants to be TuringComplete and DPOS has hardcoded features.

all medals have two sides

~*~TuringComplete~*~

DPOS is the security mechanism, C++ is the programming language (which is also ~*~TuringComplete~*~).

So the difference is whether you have to make a new blockchain for each of your smart contracts. Nothing to do with DPOS.

BM's advantages would also apply if we had an embedded programming language on a single blockchain.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
However, Ethereum wants to be TuringComplete and DPOS has hardcoded features.

all medals have two sides

Offline bytemaster

http://blog.ethereum.org/2014/05/27/what-if-ethereum-lived-on-a-treap-or-blockchains-charging-rent/

So it appears the Ethereum guys finally got around to the basic idea of a 5% inactivity fee we plan for BTS.   They just posted an entire blog post about a new treap (tree+heap) data-structure for storing accounts.  Apparently they expect people to use the same private key over and over again (with no consideration for privacy implications).

Anyway here is the thing to take away from their post.

1) The only reason you need a Treap is to support light clients.  Light clients are great, but ultimately 'trust-free' light clients are impossible with a proof-of-stake coin. 

2) This is a large amount of extra complexity is quite easily solved with 'proof of fraud' transactions and a surety bond.  A light client would pay a small fee to have their transactions verified and if the verified party lies, then the 'signed lie' is sufficient to forfeit the surety bond.   

Given DPOS and #2 we can simply forgo having to worry about light clients in the blockchain design at all.  This allows us to use very simple database structures compared to what Ethereum is planning.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.