Author Topic: .p2p intro video - first draft - feedback wanted!  (Read 13046 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

There's also a fee built into the system right?  So someone speculating on a domain name would need to be able to move it quickly.

What do you mean by this? There are standard transaction fees, and then the full price you paid for the domain. That's it, no other fees.

I also agree that the video should have a little bit more information on domain name squatting.  Perhaps point out the percentage of .bit registered names vs operation websites.

Great idea!
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies

Slightly off topic but I never understood how it prevents domain squatting.  If there is an auction and only the squatter is there, then they receive the domain, no ?  Are people able to outbid for the domain later on ?

We should say "mitigate" instead of "prevent."

If you try to buy a domain that is clearly worth a lot for cheap, someone will call you on it because they have a profit motive to do so. Of course *someone* will end up with the domain, but they are forced to pay full price and so 1) they are more likely to sell it because of high opportunity cost and 2) they cannot buy thousands of high-value domains.

The end result is that you still have "squatters" except they look more like registrars that resell well-priced domains.

There's also a fee built into the system right?  So someone speculating on a domain name would need to be able to move it quickly.

I also agree that the video should have a little bit more information on domain name squatting.  Perhaps point out the percentage of .bit registered names vs operation websites.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline toast

• View Profile

Slightly off topic but I never understood how it prevents domain squatting.  If there is an auction and only the squatter is there, then they receive the domain, no ?  Are people able to outbid for the domain later on ?

We should say "mitigate" instead of "prevent."

If you try to buy a domain that is clearly worth a lot for cheap, someone will call you on it because they have a profit motive to do so. Of course *someone* will end up with the domain, but they are forced to pay full price and so 1) they are more likely to sell it because of high opportunity cost and 2) they cannot buy thousands of high-value domains.

The end result is that you still have "squatters" except they look more like registrars that resell well-priced domains.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Great video :)  +5%

Just one thing! Speaking with a little bit more Up's and down's! Sry don't know how to say it.
Perhaps just have to speak a bit more emphasis? Just thoughts, it's nothing content related etc.

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline swedespade

• View Profile
    • About me
Great feedback!

It starts with.. what is .p2p? It is.. "decentralized top level domain, and an alternative to the traditional DNS system"

Why not just start with ".p2p is a new domain name system" .. "domain names are, .. [introduce by example].."
I agree.

No need to say "a few.. important improvement" .. just "important improvements"
"in contrast to OLD, NEW is decentralized"
agreed

50s explain "domain name squatting" either the voice or graphic or combination must explain what this is, what is going on, why it is bad.
I think we are assuming the audience understands the problem of squatting. However it would not hurt to explain this...

58 "enables global price discovery ... this mechanic helps accurately price domains as well as incentivizes honest market participation" can't you say this in a lighter way?
Open to ideas.

how about using something like the graphic from 33s in the bitshares.org video to explain how the centralized OLD domain name authority can be decentralized. in the first picture, the ICANN icon can be on the top, with the users all trading "up," and in the NEW the auction can be centered between them..
Could you explain this differently, I am a little lost here :/ Thanks!
Working on media. A little extra goes a long way:)
BTC: 1FPc7dMfwS2j9HRDyxZxft29Ti57p5jum6
Cryptsy: 76331613e1e44f0f7e7f838c6df4c4e404150f4a

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Video! Awesome.  +5%

It starts with.. what is .p2p? It is.. "decentralized top level domain, and an alternative to the traditional DNS system"

Why not just start with ".p2p is a new domain name system" .. "domain names are, .. [introduce by example].."

Then transition to OLD versus NEW comparison

No need to say "a few.. important improvement" .. just "important improvements"
"in contrast to OLD, NEW is decentralized"

32-48s is good.

50s explain "domain name squatting" either the voice or graphic or combination must explain what this is, what is going on, why it is bad.
58 "enables global price discovery ... this mechanic helps accurately price domains as well as incentivizes honest market participation" can't you say this in a lighter way?

how about using something like the graphic from 33s in the bitshares.org video to explain how the centralized OLD domain name authority can be decentralized. in the first picture, the ICANN icon can be on the top, with the users all trading "up," and in the NEW the auction can be centered between them..

just some random thoughts, make your harshest critic your best friend huh :)

Offline SuanBing

• View Profile
    • Bitshares News
So sad we(CHINA) can't access YouTube because GFW..

suggestions?

goagent works fine,or they could buy a vps to build a VPN server.
BitsharesNews.com
我的微博
pts: PkyZq51PFLHonjzKdUDunzA52TDMR2tRrn

Offline swedespade

• View Profile
    • About me
Would you mind upload it to Youku?
I don't mind, but every time I try to upload the video it gets stuck at 99.9%.

Any ideas?

lzr1900

suggestions?
Would you mind upload it to Youku?
I found there was a bitshares thread(official ?):http://i.youku.com/u/UMTQzNzA2NTg2OA==

Offline swedespade

• View Profile
    • About me
so sad we(CHINA) can't access YouTube because GFW..

https://vimeo.com/97894638

pass = bitshares
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:31:49 am by swedespade »

Offline toast

• View Profile

lzr1900

Offline toast

• View Profile
* We will use a different voice actor (female voice from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5BjVn0nb4o )
* We have time to tweak the script

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_l6iorlLhk

mirror: https://vimeo.com/97894638
pass = bitshares

Feedback?
Known issues:
* "auction" scene is a bit unclear
* some timings are a bit awkward
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:07:27 pm by toast »