Author Topic: BitShares X website design discusssion  (Read 5443 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
I know the subject here is the website, but I see it as part of a larger discussion over how to effectively market these DACs. What about decentralizing the marketing in terms of providing some tools (a marketing toolkit?) that DACs can use? The toolkit could include some central branding material, such as logos, model press releases, video or website tools, etc. Brian, if you were an outside 1099 contractor with your own business rather than an Invictus employee, then you could provide direct help to various DACs in terms of marketing and website help. Perhaps DACs could apply to some fund for grants or bounties that would enable them to receive assistance with marketing.

i really like this approach, but also guess, automatic markting mechanism wouldn't work proberly, cause each markting campagin should have a unique fitting!
But i like the idea of creating a kinda markting base for developeres to use... i suggested this also a few days before ... think we should discuss this more deeply :)
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
OK but as i'm not a member of the core team ... mabye i can assist Nikolai on this ...
@Brian: think this should be no problem, right!?
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
After discussing with bytemaster, this project will have to be something that isn't completed by a member of the core team.  Instead, specific DAC sites will be created by those using our technology to launch BitShares based businesses.  This allows us to simply be a team that creates software that powers these businesses, and gives us a "firewall" for legal reasons. Also, it fits the idea that we want to be decentralized.  Simply stated, we create the tools used to build DACs, we don't build DACs ourselves.  B

[6/16/14, 1:28:56 PM] Stan Larimer: We can do info sites as long as they don't imply we are in operational control of any DACs.
[6/16/14, 1:29:20 PM] Stan Larimer: We supply toolkit software and promote the industry.

???

edit: Stan's recommendation is that we don't run either so that the operator site can also be the info site. In any case we can support them by suggesting what content to include. Now it is a bit more clear
Does this imply we cannot use subdomains of bitshares.org as proposed here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=5027.msg66112#msg66112

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile
Like I said, just doing as I was instructed, so if toast wants to run with it, sounds good to me! B

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Ok Stan has confirmed that as an Independent DAC Developer / Grantee I can run bitshares-x.info which can be both the operational and info site. Of course I can work closely with brian to work out content and such.

All is well?
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I know the subject here is the website, but I see it as part of a larger discussion over how to effectively market these DACs. What about decentralizing the marketing in terms of providing some tools (a marketing toolkit?) that DACs can use? The toolkit could include some central branding material, such as logos, model press releases, video or website tools, etc. Brian, if you were an outside 1099 contractor with your own business rather than an Invictus employee, then you could provide direct help to various DACs in terms of marketing and website help. Perhaps DACs could apply to some fund for grants or bounties that would enable them to receive assistance with marketing.

I have no doubt there are some great coders on board. And I know the DACs fill important needs. Once they make money, everyone will be interested, but that initial phase requires a good bit of user participation from people who still have not heard of Bitshares. People need to hear about the DACs, and that includes not only the back-end developers, investors, and participants, but also it involves selling them to appropriate demographics on the retail end. Bitshares Music seems to have an owner/front person who really knows the business. Will the other DACs also be as successful in selling their ideas or will their developers need more help in this regard? If Invictus' hands are tied in terms of the centralization, then how about creating an outside marketing agency that can accommodate this?

"If we build it (and they know it's here), they will come." We need marketing to spread the word that it's here.

Offline toast

• View Profile
After discussing with bytemaster, this project will have to be something that isn't completed by a member of the core team.  Instead, specific DAC sites will be created by those using our technology to launch BitShares based businesses.  This allows us to simply be a team that creates software that powers these businesses, and gives us a "firewall" for legal reasons. Also, it fits the idea that we want to be decentralized.  Simply stated, we create the tools used to build DACs, we don't build DACs ourselves.  B

[6/16/14, 1:28:56 PM] Stan Larimer: We can do info sites as long as they don't imply we are in operational control of any DACs.
[6/16/14, 1:29:20 PM] Stan Larimer: We supply toolkit software and promote the industry.

???

edit: Stan's recommendation is that we don't run either so that the operator site can also be the info site. In any case we can support them by suggesting what content to include. Now it is a bit more clear
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:33:14 pm by toast »
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline toast

• View Profile

NO

I understand the legal concern, but bitshares X is so important, its failing marketing will put other bitshares DACs in a bad position. Third parties are lack of dev experience or insider update news or financial motivation to build and maintain the website. What if invictus.io happen again? What if the website have download link with Trojan? What if the website announcing the bitshares stop developing and shorting in the market to make money?

I think that as a not-really core team member who also owns bitshares-x.info I think I would be allowed to control the site... Gonna run that by stan

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum

NO

I understand the legal concern, but bitshares X is so important, its failing marketing will put other bitshares DACs in a bad position. Third parties are lack of dev experience or insider update news or financial motivation to build and maintain the website. What if invictus.io happen again? What if the website have download link with Trojan? What if the website announcing the bitshares stop developing and shorting in the market to make money?

Forum Donation: PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

Oh well, so much for needing a 100k p.a. Marketing Director...

Personally I'd like to see the 4/5 most promising DAC's that BM thinks have the most potential to have > $5 Billion valuations in 5 years be marketed and supported by Bitshares (or a separate but related entity) for a few months after launch, to at least get them into defendable market position.

I think BitShares X is one of those 5 core DAC's.

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
If it is informational only, then it should be included in Bitshares.org. In my opinion, there is no need for another website, especially considering the issues and track record of the primary site.

Could it be a page or a group of pages that are part of the main site? And maybe the Bitshares X domain name, whatever that is, when people type it in or follow a link to it, could redirect to that part of the main site?

Of course: www.bitshares.org/bitsharesx

you could even redirect for example bitsharesx.com to bitshares.org/etc...

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile
If it is informational only, then it should be included in Bitshares.org. In my opinion, there is no need for another website, especially considering the issues and track record of the primary site.

Could it be a page or a group of pages that are part of the main site? And maybe the Bitshares X domain name, whatever that is, when people type it in or follow a link to it, could redirect to that part of the main site?

Of course: www.bitshares.org/bitsharesx

Offline toast

• View Profile
Product 2: Navigate to site which lets us interface with the product.

Define "interface"... I3 cannot host a web wallet, if that's what you mean.

I have no idea. What about a browser interface that can (privately) talk to the wallet on our computer? I am just thinking from a user perspective, it would be helpful to access everything through the browser.

Sure, I3 just can't do that, someone else will have to make it.
The GUI wallet is basically a web interface though.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Product 2: Navigate to site which lets us interface with the product.

Define "interface"... I3 cannot host a web wallet, if that's what you mean.

I have no idea. What about a browser interface that can (privately) talk to the wallet on our computer? I am just thinking from a user perspective, it would be helpful to access everything through the browser.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 04:15:02 pm by CLains »