Author Topic: Should Bitshares consider starting it's own DAC News site?  (Read 6268 times)

Offline DonJoe

• View Profile
Empirical1,

Great idea on the news site.  I've watched coindesk rise in the rankings as they've produced an incredibly in depth resource and capture a lot of eyes, so such a site could eventually get a lot of visitors.   My only thought is, if it's entirely DAC focused will we have enough news content to fill out the site?

As far as the 3-4 min weekly round up idea, I'm already on it.  I interviewed on video all the core devs in VA last week about the project, what they're working on, etc and am now editing a 3-5 min video out of it, kind of a "behind the scenes with BitShares" video.   I'm going to do another in July at the VA tech corporate research center where the team is now focusing operations.  That will be a "Summer of Code" video. So while not weekly, it will be monthly.   I also got some short updates in Chinese and Russian and I plan to continue to film people using non-english languages as well, so we can share our videos with as wide an audience as possible.... B

Good job, but this is not what we are expecting from you. You should be focusing making industry connections in cryptoworld, talking to different developers  about potential cooperation (you never did). Talking to SEC and investment bank about bitshares X and potential regulation risk (have you ever?). organizing mumble session and google video talk to community when software is delayed (volunteers are doing this),  presenting in conference when BM is busy (you went as audience). giving a much better website (majority don't think the 6th version is good). hiring someone who can shoot a beautiful video and publish to social after 2 hours editing (are you doing this job, is it hard?). What you did in past 6 months is hard to qualify as an intern.

I would expect the valuable suggestion that Empirical1 is making actually from you. at that time bitshares is facing success.

If I am not a shareholder, I already hack into bitshares.org and change the slogan to "Brian to bitshares is what cancer is doing to human"

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:11:04 pm by DonJoe »

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I have a better idea.

Start an actual print magazine along with a website. DACUniverse?

Send the Sharedrops to whomever subscribes.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile
Empirical1,

Great idea on the news site.  I've watched coindesk rise in the rankings as they've produced an incredibly in depth resource and capture a lot of eyes, so such a site could eventually get a lot of visitors.   My only thought is, if it's entirely DAC focused will we have enough news content to fill out the site?

As far as the 3-4 min weekly round up idea, I'm already on it.  I interviewed on video all the core devs in VA last week about the project, what they're working on, etc and am now editing a 3-5 min video out of it, kind of a "behind the scenes with BitShares" video.   I'm going to do another in July at the VA tech corporate research center where the team is now focusing operations.  That will be a "Summer of Code" video. So while not weekly, it will be monthly.   I also got some short updates in Chinese and Russian and I plan to continue to film people using non-english languages as well, so we can share our videos with as wide an audience as possible.... B

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Hey!

Smiley35 and I have been working dillegently on such a site. We are very excited to supply a news source which will provide in depth explanations, articles, podcasts, as well as possible info graphics and educational videos.

Here is our mission, as a foreword I would like to say that this is a continual work in progress:

Our daily mission is to inform, educate and promote the immediate and future bitshares community. We assist and benefit all readers by providing a current, constant flow of accurate educational and investment resources to foster bitshares knowledge. This quarterly publication will provide an interesting and opportunistic space for fresh discussion as well as implementation of future action.

Just like all of the projects in the space, we would like to use this forum as a critiquing platform for our site. We will have something within the next two weeks for the community to look over.

+5% Sounds like a geat project! You guys are definitely thinking a few steps ahead! Very interested to see what you've come up with.

- From the above, would you say you're envisaging more of an information and resource site than a news & information site like coindesk?

- Are you targeting a Bitshares audience specifically or is it targeted
at the DAC industry in general.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Excited about this new project coming to light!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline iharvey

• View Profile
Hey!

Smiley35 and I have been working dillegently on such a site. We are very excited to supply a news source which will provide in depth explanations, articles, podcasts, as well as possible info graphics and educational videos.

Here is our mission, as a foreword I would like to say that this is a continual work in progress:

Our daily mission is to inform, educate and promote the immediate and future bitshares community. We assist and benefit all readers by providing a current, constant flow of accurate educational and investment resources to foster bitshares knowledge. This quarterly publication will provide an interesting and opportunistic space for fresh discussion as well as implementation of future action.

Just like all of the projects in the space, we would like to use this forum as a critiquing platform for our site. We will have something within the next two weeks for the community to look over.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I don't want to say to much yet but a couple of us have been quietly working on such a site. If anyone would like to collaborate pm me.

Cool, I take it you & your partners are not linked directly to Bitshares though?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I don't want to say to much yet but a couple of us have been quietly working on such a site. If anyone would like to collaborate pm me.
+5%  ... very exciting!!

Offline smiley35

• View Profile

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I think the Bitshares ecosystem & the DAC world in general is going to take the world by storm in the next few years.

I think DAC's definitely warrant their own DAC-focused news site. Something like DACNews/DACWorld/DACcentric etc.

Bitshares already has a great forum and a website that is coming together. I believe our own news site could be the missing part of the puzzle.

If it was started by, affiliated to and at least partly owned by Bitshares, we could potentially have one of the most popular future news sites in the world!
What a great place that would be to showcase upcoming DAC's? It may even become one of the many reasons new DAC's may want to honour the Bitshares community.

DACWorld could have articles focusing on Bitshares developments, Bitshares DAC's as well as other DAC's and industry relevant news in general.

Possible Format

According to topbitcoinsites.com, The Bitcoin + alt-coin focused news site, http://www.coindesk.com/ is the third most popular Bitcoin site, behind Blockchain.info and Bitcointalk.org. so I would keep to that type of format as we know it's successful and there is a market for it. (Picture, title, first few lines of article or maybe a key passage to entice you.)

I would also have Bitshares price index (The way they have a Bitcoin price index) and I would also maybe list in a horizontal line underneath the top 5-10 DAC's by market caps and maybe the day's biggest movers.

Also a lot of the audience I think Brian is trying to target would use a Coindesk format type site a lot more often than they'd visit the Bitshares.org website or the Bitshares forum. (Personally I hardly visit the Bitcointalk forum these days, but I visit Coindesk almost everyday.)

On that note, having seen Brian in this Inside Bitcoins NY summary  http://vimeo.com/91758432 , I think he is very personable, speaks and comes across well. I think he would be great to present a 3-4 min weekly roundup of Bitshares and DAC-industry related news every week to webcam. (With BM occasionally doing pieces to camera on technical developments.) Something similar to the Bitcoin News roundup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waT2mZhrX1U (The Bitcoin round up is a bit weak, but it is very investor & key news focused which I think is great. Personally @ 90 seconds I think it is a bit short and I would personally like to watch news on circa 5 minutes of the most relevant content each week.)

Starting it up

Obviously a fully fledged news site may eventually need it's own full time site focused person, but we could conceivably start something small now, however slowly.

BM & others have already written good summaries on key Bitshares developments which could be easily put into an article format to start to start up the content.

Other: I can also perhaps see a DACMarketcap type site specifically tracking DAC's becoming as popular as coinmarketcap. A site to track the value of all the Bitshares linked DAC's in one place could certainly be useful.